Want To Lease Multisite subdomains

I'm not sure how to outfit a multisite where I want to lease, or rent, individual blogs which are already created for a particular subject. Kind of like a sponsorship type of thing where the user can add their own images, articles, video, community etc. for their particular subject.

So I am putting together 50 sites at a time (I will be creating a total of 800 subject-specific blogs), and am manually adding a first page with content that would be relevant to each blog's title. On the front page of the blog is also a notice that the visitor can "own" that particular blog for a monthly/yearly fee with all the bells and whistles.

Which plugins would fit the above scenario best? I have been creating all of the sub-sites under my main site admin account.

Probably just like most folks when they first sign up for premium membership here - I have installed 75% of the available plugins into this site. Maybe overkill - but everything looks so good!

Thanks for any help or ideas on this.....

• Zyniker

I'm not sure any of the plugins here are going to work (without a great deal of modification) for what you want to do.

Membership would technically work, but you'd likely have to set it up on every site due to your end goals. So, you probably don't want to do that (trust me, you don't want to do that).

Pro Sites is probably the most viable, but you'd still have to do back end work every time someone signed up (because you'd be transferring ownership of the site).

Honestly, the easiest thing to do in this situation would probably just be to create a page that handles all membership details (and likely use the Membership plugin) and have individual users sign up on that page and then send you an email (or contact you in some other way) with information pertaining to which site they wish to lease. You would then have to add their account to that site and promote them to an administrator/editor (whichever works best for your goals).
    Of course, you would also have to demote them (again, manually) when they cancel their membership.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to do this all automatically given the setup you describe (without significant configuration work up front).

• cmandelin

Thank you for the quick response. A separate membership site with manual activation is what I was beginning to see as I went along.

That's okay... been wandering around on this site since 2003 and the recent WPMU membership and ideas finally helped to get me focused in on what I wanted to do with the site. I'll go the manual route on this one, then do a more automated WPMU model with another site that I have also been sitting on for years.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.