Want to set up a site like edu blogs and site setting suggestions

Hey, I have installed pro sites and a bunch of other plug ins and want to set up a site similar to edu blogs for a niche market.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for settings, pricing, best practices to get new users?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey David.

Best Advice.... thats a tough one.

Well if its a niche you need to get that niche to spread the love for you, you can throw money at advertising all you like but word of mouth aka recommendation is always the best as it is someone who trusts you telling others to trust you. Hope that makes sense.

Youtube videos for promotion, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn all good networks for meeting people and convincing them your site is great.

Help your users, love them, guide them and look after them. They will then look after you.

As for pricing, well that is a tough one. What would you pay to someone else for what you are offering? Can they get it elsewhere and if so what is better there for the money vs what is better with you.

Make it easy for them to signup. Captchas don't work these days and using them deters genuine members.

I'm sure there is much more here, but really you need to sit down and think about your goals, how to get there and what strategies you will use. If something doesn't work then figure our why then change and adapt.

May the force be with you. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Sue

Hi David

Agree with Tim that best advice is a tough one but Tim's given you some really excellent advice.

Much of our approach on Edublogs.org is exactly as Tim mentions here. We work closely with our community work to support educators through programs like the Student Challenge ( http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/ ), Teachers Challenge ( http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/ ) and through our main blog ( http://theedublogger.com/ ). An important part of this is we support them regardless of what platform they use; our goal is to help them with what they are trying to achieve as helping every one also helps our users improve.

Couldn't put it better than Tim's "Help you others, love them, guide them and look after them. They will then look after you."

Tim's also made an interesting point about Captcha's. Personally I'm not a fan of Captcha's as they can impact the sign up process. For our situation, we do need to use them on them on Edublogs to reduce splog creations.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• shineadmin

@david

ive been trying set up a similar install also its not simple the theme wpmu sells as edublogs clean is nothing like edublogs and a slow process of asking step by step for help to set it up properly.

it's supposed to a muinstall but only buddypress seems to work, membership plugin total nightmare ive just lost a client and they want refund plus compensation

Its now been 3+ months trying to get started.

Last night I discovered another developer has stole my idea's got started and trading as my name and just 4 days ahead of the UK press launch - Twice been interviewed by the press and still don't have my site ready to show them

• Jason

Alan,

I'm kinda in the same boat, and my personal advice is to not worry about making your site perfect, just launch it!

Getting the Pro-Sites plugin should take about 4 hours max to configure the levels, and then adding your api keys for paypal.

It may not look perfect, but at least you could charge people and work on improving you site in planned phases.

Like:
    Phase 1. Get the site to a point where you can create an account, blog, and get money for it.
    Phase 2. Work on making it pretty,
    Phase 3. Work on marketing

I said 4 hours earlier, and I mean in a single block of time, not 2 hours here 2 hours there. If you work sporadically on it, then it's hard to remember where you left off.

Also, make sure Facebook, Twitter, etc sites aren't open on your computer, those hurt productivity in my experience :wink:

That's what helps me reach milestones when I develop projects, and I just thought I'd share a bit.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Jason, thanks for chipping in here.

Social networks can be a huge distraction.

Hey Alan.

I wasn't turning you away here, all I'm saying is if you keep struggling, if time is money and that time is important then a developer should be able to help much quicker. You said you need to launch but can't get it there. That is the only reason I suggested that.

What Jason said about time frames is about accurate for a first time users and those getting familiar with Pro Sites (or with many levels, plugins and themes) but sometimes it takes people longer, especially new to WordPress as well. Once you are familiar with settings and set ups it should take much less.

I find the key is not doing everything at once but taking each item one at a time. Getting that done, getting familiar, having a play and then move onto the next items, plugin or theme.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.