Was wondering if Snapshot can backup from one server and then be restored on another server

I was wondering if it is possible to use Snapshot to do a complete website backup and transfer.

For example if I have a website I developed on a test site or local developers server, is it possible to take a snapshot of the entire site, Then restore it on another server.

In addition is it possible to take a snapshot from a server controlled with Virtualmin and restore it on a server that uses Cpanel

Thanks in Advance

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Hey Dean !

How are you ?

Nice to talk to you after a long time.

I was wondering if it is possible to use Snapshot to do a complete website backup and transfer.

Well, this is something which would be a nice feature request for the great plugin. Currently it can not be used as a migration solution am afraid.

But I am sure that if more users are looking for this, Paul would love to look into this :slight_smile:

You have my +1 infact +100 for this one and I am moving this thread right away to the "Features and Feedback" section.

PS : I haven't tested that yet, but it might be possible with some custom work I believe.

Cheers, PC

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hopefully we'll get a bunch soon and the implementation won't take too long. I have several potential clients i'm trying to talk into moving over to my Hosting services (which is through aecnu) and I'd hate to have to manually try to move these.

I know that there is a program out there (I forgot the name as soon as I saw the price tag) It would take me a very long time to pay that off with the little bit of business I have.

Thanks for the +100 hopefully we'll get a bunch more.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have several potential clients i'm trying to talk into moving over to my Hosting services (which is through aecnu) and I'd hate to have to manually try to move these.

Perhaps I can help you with that :slight_smile:

I am good with moving stuff mail me at goobindia at gmail dot com

Cheers, PC

• cwinders
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I just installed snapshot for the first time. Before I was under the impression that this would only do the DB. It does do "Common" files. I haven't tried this yet but after evaluating what comes through the .zip file on the other end. It looks like you could migrate like this.

1. Do a snapshot on the existing site.
    2. Make a fresh install of WP in the new location
    3. install snapshot in the new site.
    4. upload the snapshot.zip file into the uploads/snapshot directory.
    5. use snapshot to restore.

Looks like it will work since the plugins and the wp-content folder comes across.

It won't work by itself because it's missing the core wp files (like wp-admin, wp-includes).

I've been using backwpup on many sites. It works OK, backwpup seems to choke on very large sites but does get the job done with a complete backup all in one file and has many options for destinations (dropbox, S3, etc.) However everything I use from WPMU just seems to be tighter and work better so I was hoping to replace backwpup with snapshot. I'm still up in the air if that's going to happen just yet.

Just thought I would share what I see from a migration/full site backup standpoint.

• shawng
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

+1 on this one.

Right now I use a paid backup service for this ability http://blogvault.net/ and it would be nice to have it built into a product I actually own vs. a monthly service.

The more I look into the whole concept of WordPress hosting the more I come to realize just how important this type of feature is to have in house.

• babbsela

I'm currently using X-cloner for migrating whole sites from test server to live server, with pretty decent results, although sometimes the widgets need to be edited.

If this would be included in Snapshot, I'd love to keep everything in the WPMUdev house!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Dean Kaus, @MTB1701, @shawng, @DirectoryDude

@Leofitz, Correct me if I'm wrong but does BackupBuddy work under Multisite. For some reason I thought it was still in beta. Also I know it doesn't work well with our Multi-DB plugin.

@cwinders, Thanks for the details on the manual migration using Snapshot. The one addition is that the setup needs to match 100%. So table prefixes need to match and database connection if the wp-config.php is part of the archive.

One of the issues with migrations is of course Multisite. If you want to attempt a backup of site #23 on one Multisite and and migrate it to a different Multisite. On the destination Multisite it would very possibly be a different blog number. So some intelligence needs to be added to Snapshot to be aware of what is attempted. Still it can be done.

Look for a first beta end of November. Or sooner.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Dean Kaus, Question for you related to your comment -

I have several potential clients i'm trying to talk into moving over to my Hosting services (which is through aecnu) and I'd hate to have to manually try to move these.

Can you tell me if you are moving from Single to Single, Single to Multisite, etc. Might be something I can keep in mind when working out the logic. As a test subject.

• shawng

@Paul

Correct me if I'm wrong but does BackupBuddy work under Multisite. For some reason I thought it was still in beta. Also I know it doesn't work well with our Multi-DB plugin

Nope, backup buddy does not work with multisite. It was a total nightmare for me and I gave up on that service months ago. Also, as you said it does not play well at all with multi-db.

As for test subjects:
    One thing I do ALL THE TIME, is I am always building new client sites on my laptop. I would love to be able to use a single multisite install for all my client work, but as there is currently no way to guaranteed export a single 'blog' on a multisite install to a live single client site, I have had to give up on that idea.

Right now, I am stuck building a brand new wordpress single site install for each and every client on my laptop. I build everything local including copy work, then export to their live site.

I currently use the premium vs. of http://serverpress.com/products/desktopserver/
    Honestly I would be lost without it. It is NOT capable of taking a single blog on a multisite install, and exporting it to a fresh single install of WordPress. Now that would be my dream plugin, so hoping you add it to the list.

I personally could use all 3 as I run into all of these scenarios on a weekly basis.
    single -> single
    multi (blog) -> single
    single -> multi (blog)

• Mark Sund
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

We vote for this.

This is why we joined (at the $19/mo level for now) - if a server goes down, we need to be able to restore the site! Snapshot is creating a backup in our Dropbox account - we need to be able to set up a new Wordpress install on a new server and restore the site.

We're a web design agency - testing this now for use with customers' websites. I've been trying to use Archive Import under the Settings menu, with the archive copied from our Dropbox into the proper folder, but it's not working! We mostly need single site-to-single site.

This is a must-have for a backup utility!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@bharat, Just curious on the plugin you referenced. It does not appear to be something like Snapshot where it produced local archive. From the small amount of documentation I could find it appears to be more like VaultPress where it pulls your data to a centralized server.

• bharat
    • Flash Drive

@Paul, I don't know how it works because I am really not a technical guy but I use it really works great and I know a couple of other plugins that do almost the same thing. Let me know if you would like to get a link for those plugins too..

But this one is the best among them.

• Leofitz
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Paul,
    I replied previously to your question about Backup Buddy but on another thread, but as the conversation about Snapshot continues here, I'll post another response.

Backup Buddy does list functionality for supporting backup for WP Multi-sites, but I haven't used this function. I can say its works great for the backup and re-install of single MP sites on a different server.

BB also has a built-in malware scanning function. As to the mentioned security risk, I would think that PHP access could be limited by the BB designer if this becomes a common concern.

• Jennifer
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Paul

+100 on supporting MultiSite backup & restore - including ability to restore the multisite to a different domain (think: creating and re-creating a test/dev site that actually works) :slight_smile:

We use BackupBuddy for automated nightly backups which is critical for us... to back up several full MultiSites (each with it's own sub-blogs) nightly, and auto archive to S3.

But we'd LOVE to move away from BackupBuddy and use Snapshot if it supported Multisite backup/restore. We already use a number of the WPMU plugins, and love the excellent support.

BackupBuddy DOES work with MultiSite, though it's got a few bugs...
    - Full MultiSite restore to same domain seems to work fine.
    - But if you try to restore to a new domain (i.e. to rebuild your dev/testing site as we often do) it "mostly works", it does not do the URL translation for the sub-sites (the blogs in the multisite). You have to click "edit" on each one and change its URL. then it works fine.
    - the larger problem with BackupBuddy is their official line is they "don't really support MultiSite since it's in beta", so the bugs like the one above are just ignored. :slight_frown:

Anyway, we've used BackupBuddy extensively with a half dozen MultiSites for over a year, so if you have any questions or need any info on it, let us know.

Thanks!
    Dan

• bopf

+1 from me as well.

the current version also does not seem to allow me to restore my blog if I have to re-install my WP installation on the same server. Sort of defeats the purpose of a backup if it won't allow me to restore my content if the underlying WP installation is broken.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@bopf, Thanks for the +1 on the migration feature.

Can you kindly repost the other part of your issue to a new thread where we can review and discuss the details without everyone in this thread receiving updates. That way we keep this thread focuses just on the migration users.

• Mark Sund
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

We'd also be willing to help beta test this - restoring to a new server from a Dropbox backup, that is. We've installed Snapshot for several clients' web sites (all single not multi) at a couple different hosting companies and would be willing to test on them.

• Jennifer
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Paul!

Just confirming if you're actually planning full MultiSite backup/restore support from one server to another (i.e. effectively changing mydomain.com to mydevsite.com on restore)... so we can finally move from BackupBuddy!! :slight_smile:

Also what is your eta for having this available for testing?

Thanks!!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jennifer, The full backup of a Multisite system wether for the purpose of migration or just simply a backup is still up in the air. Meaning have not made that decision. The problems with a single backup archive of a Multisite system are many. The most common issue is that depending on the number of blogs within the Multisite system the single archive could be too large to manage. Plus in the case of just the backup (not migration) if you needed to perform a restore for just one broken blog it would mean restoring everything (which you would not want) or building logic that would selectively restore parts for the for the related blog.

If anything I may just add in the logic to perform a full backup for the purpose of migration only. Though what is done with that backup I have no control over.

We are focusing on a single site to single site migration logic first. Then single to new blog within Multisite. Then Multisite blog to a different Multisite blog. Then lastly Multisite blog to a single WordPress.

Shooting for mid-Jan 2013 for the first rounds of beta. Sorry for the delay I was switched off to some other projects. Just now getting back into Snapshot changes end of this month.

• Gary M. Gordon

Let me add another comment. I think the development of a solid and robust backup / restore plugin, that can do it all (single to multisite, multisite to multisite, ... just everything and all options) is probably the biggest and best plugin you could ever develop. Features and great. But backing up and being able to restore things, it crucial to the management of a website. So .. please don't drop the ball on this, meaning please keep this plugin at the forefront of your development projects. It will pay off. This is something that "everyone" needs. And if it works well, (really well), you'll have a winner that will pay off. That's just my two cents on all of this. :slight_smile: Thanks.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

If anyone is looking for a solution in the meantime then I can highly recommend BackBuddy which is a fantastic plugin for doing backups, cloning sites and transferring sites to a new domain name / server.

It also has beta Multi-Site transfer support.

I use it all the time for backups, for transferring clients from one server to another, for cloning websites onto a new domain name and for cloning a client live site so that I can make and test updates locally before deploying back to their live site.

It is a paid plugin though so not for everyone but a great solution if you need something right now.

It will be awesome when Snapshot is updated to allow for cross domain / server backups - can't wait! :slight_smile:

• Gary M. Gordon

phillcoxon,

Let me clarify something. :slight_smile:

I have also been using BackupBuddy for about 2+ years now on both single and multisites, and it has been wonderful.

Here's the bad news and this is why I am here and wanting SnapShot to basically become the replacement for BackupBuddy.

I spoke (via email and posts) to the developer of BackupBuddy today, from iThemes, and was informed ...

"In short, BackupBuddy Multisite functionality is going to be phased out. As with all things in life, treading in Multisite was an experiment. We learned a lot from the experiment and have learned that it is not feasible nor a good idea for us to continue down the Multisite road. We will likely continue to support Multisite Export, at least for a while, to help aid users in moving from Multisite to Standalone . We may re-evaluate this decision in the future, especially as Multisite itself matures and improves some of its severe problems. For now our suggestion though is as you and others have probably gotten tired of hearing, to use standalone sites (sorry)."

"We'd love to be able to say we would have it working as well as standalone BackupBuddy and provide it to our customers but that is not the case."

So ... since BackupBuddy is saying "not to use it for MultiSites" .. rather than keep using it and "hope" that it keeps working well, .. from what I was told .. that isn't the way to go.

Therefore .. I'm hoping that SnapShot will put in the necessary effort to figure this out and become the leader in this area. I am very disappointed that BackupBuddy is pulling the plug on Multisite integration, but .. that seems to be the story. I can't begin to express my feelings on this. Very disappointed. Very sad.

So .. if you continue to use BackupBuddy on Multisites, all I can tell you is .. be "verrrrry" careful. You may just find yourself with a backup that won't restore at some point soon.

Gary

PS: When I build client websites as part of our "We Build Free Websites" program at http://www.webuildfreewebsites.com/ - we use Multisites almost exclusively for our clients due to many of it's benefits.

• Gary M. Gordon

Paul,

I have a question. (based on the current functionality of SnapShot).

Can SnapShot backup and restore the "main" site of a multisite installation?

For example, if a multisite installation had their main site, plus maybe 5 other sub sites, can SnapShot backup and restore all of the sub sites (individually) as well as the main site (individually)?

Please let me know.

And .. if you could possibly provide a time table, of what feature improvements to SnapShot, I could expect (based upon Multisite implementations) over the next 6 months, that would be awesome. I'm just looking for a rough idea, give or take maybe a month or two at max, on a per feature basis. Let me know if you could possibly feel comfortable enough in providing this. Thanks.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

@gary - thanks for the update re: BackupBuddy.

That's a real shame that they are going to take Multi-Site out again but I can understand. To me it seems to be more of an education issue. So far I've had 100% success using it for Multi-Site transfers but users need to understand the difference between using it on the main site and sub-sites. I suspect their support requests have gone through the roof with users not knowing how to use it properly.

It would be awesome to have Snapshot support it but I imagine it will also be a challenging task for the WPMUdev team.

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

We gotta see if Paul can get to the multisite part but he gave some thoughs above why this is dificult. here his comments.

The full backup of a Multisite system wether for the purpose of migration or just simply a backup is still up in the air. Meaning have not made that decision. The problems with a single backup archive of a Multisite system are many. The most common issue is that depending on the number of blogs within the Multisite system the single archive could be too large to manage. Plus in the case of just the backup (not migration) if you needed to perform a restore for just one broken blog it would mean restoring everything (which you would not want) or building logic that would selectively restore parts for the for the related blog.

If anything I may just add in the logic to perform a full backup for the purpose of migration only. Though what is done with that backup I have no control over.

We are focusing on a single site to single site migration logic first. Then single to new blog within Multisite. Then Multisite blog to a different Multisite blog. Then lastly Multisite blog to a single WordPress.

Shooting for mid-Jan 2013 for the first rounds of beta. Sorry for the delay I was switched off to some other projects. Just now getting back into Snapshot changes end of this month.

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

garymgordon

For the little time i have talk with @paul i know he is surely working on this, he added dropbox synch to the snapshot wich is pretty awsome, this was when i first try this plugin and i wanted it to send files to dropbox, he out of the blue said what will be nice if i were able to synch so you dont have lots of zip files in dropbox taking space, im doing daily backup of all the sites synch to dropbox just in case, the great part about this new feautre that paul added is if you only have some post on that day you are not wasting bandwidt from the hosting sending backp cause is only sending the new change files, and sends a zip file with the tables and settings files really good, might not be a migrating tool but you have the entire structure there in dropbox all you gotta do install a wordpress, install the theme and upload the dropbox copy, the other cool thing is a bonus added by dropbox, since they store all the versions of your files for 30 days so if you by mistake delete something locally or by any chance you overwrite something you can go to dropbox and just restore that file and download it and re-up it to the site. other added bonus of dropbox is you have it anywere cells, tablets, desktop if you have a local server, with dropbox install, if a client needs some crazy file send right away he deleted, i was the other day in the movies open my iphone and just hit share file on dropbox and send the download link via email.

So i know Paul is working on something new very hard for this great plugin hehe.

Regards
    :wink: Alex

• Jeff Brown
    • Flash Drive

Hey Paul,

Any updates here? The consensus seems to be that this would be VERY useful! I have a need myself, as I am trying to migrate a Multisite from Dreamhost to WebFaction and I'm struggling.

I hope this message finds you available and able to implement this feature :wink:

Thanks,

Jeff

• Gary M. Gordon

Paul,

Can you please give us an overview of what Snapshot can and can't do at the moment. I know Jeff and others (including myself) want and really need Snapshot to do specific things.

I'm really hoping that Snapshot can do these things now, or will in the "very" near future.

So, if you can bring us up to speed (with some of the request that were made over the past year or so) .. that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Gary

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jeff, @garymgordon,

My apologies for not updating this thread regularly. As I mentioned in my previous update I've been pulled into some other internal projects that are taking all my time. Between just general support on the 18 plugins I manage and the internal projects it has just left me no time to focus on advancing the development of the Snapshot migration logic.

So again this enhancement is for now on hold until I can clear up some other project.

• clickbrain
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am trying to fathom how this could not be part of the functionality of a plugin like this. It's the entire reason I use it. Hopefully this will become a priority or instructions can be provided for restoring from snapshots.

Seems like the easiest way would be to provide some kind of management file that goes in directory where remote snapshot is located. In the case of Dropbox, you could add browse functionality and allow user to find the old snapshots from the new install and then recreate the list of snapshots from there and then allow the user to restore to the new WP installation.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there everyone,
    About a week ago I wanted to do a migration from a shared host to a VPS and I experimented a bit with the snapshot plugin.
    Here's what I did and got the migration to work:

Step 1: Create snapshot from the old site
    Step 2: Download snapshot from old site
    Step 3: Upload snapshot to new site
    Step 4: Create new snapshot in new site
    Step 5: Delete NEW snapshot files, while at the same time renaming the OLD snapshot files to match them, thus replacing them.
    Step 6: Restore snapshot

I can't guarantee this will work in your case, but it worked for me so I'm posting it here with the home that it helps someone else.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@aristath,

Not sure I follow. If you have the OLD snapshot file. You should be able to move it to the new server then run the Snapshot input. This will load the archive into the listing. No need to run the NEW snapshot and rename.

Unless I'm missing something.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@Paul I'm not sure why, but when I moved the snapshot files to a NEW WordPress installation with just the snapshot plugin installed, the backup was not detected. (and yes, I checked permissions, did my chmod, chown etc before moving forward).

After creating a new backup, it was showing 1 backups, even though a 2nd one existed since I manually put it there.

The only way I could get it to "recognize" the additional backup and restore it, was to delete the "new" backup and rename the backup files of the old backup to match the names of the new backup. So essentially just "trick" the snapshot plugin.

I know it doesn't make much sense... But it worked brilliantly migrating 2GB of data and a 500MB database.
    I usually do these things manually so the above process was just a trial-and-error experiment to see if it can be done.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

So how long (and how many +1's) does this have to get, before they give you more time to develop this plugin further, or bring in someone else to continue it's development?

This I my +1. Backup of the entire Multisite would be very helpful for all of us with small multisites. Migration from multisite to multisite and to single site would be hugely helpful.

BackupBuddy is dying (at least for us Multisite users) and there's currently nothing to replace it. I don't know what the internal projects are, but right NOW would be the right time to capture all of us fleeing BackupBuddy as long-time WPMU DEV customers.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@Tevya Washburn
    The development of this has already started.
    It has many difficulties though and too many variables that must be taken into account for this to properly work.
    We are very well aware of the situation with BackupBuddy and we are already taking steps to ensure that our users will be able to have that functionality.
    All I can say is be patient.
    This is no longer under consideration, this has moved on to the development stage. I can offer no ETAs or anything like that, but it will come.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

All,

just a status update since it has been like forever since I posted on this thread.

The migration logic is progressing. I can take a snapshot from a single WP site and move it over to be inserted into a Multisite. I can take a a single WP snapshot and move to a new server with different table prefixes, different URLs etc and this also works. W00t! What is not working is moving from a sub-site (of Multisite) to a regular WP. Problem here is the sub-site does not have access to user. I don't really want to create a 'special' export track. Meaning I'm attempting to allow using just the normal (current) snapshot archive. But might need to reconsider.

The problem I'm stuck on is how to handle user merging. Back to the though on migrating from a single into a Multisite sub-site. With a single site snapshot all tables like users and usermeta are included. So moving these to a Multisite I can import the site specific tables like wp_2_posts, wp_2_postmeta, etc. But not makign any logical progress on the wp_2_users and wp_2_usermeta.

In theory I can compare records. Check if the ID + user_login + user_email match. If the user already exists then skip. Then what. Obviously on the other end if the ID or user_login or user_email does not existing in the master it can be added. But there the post IDs change. Then what about other plugins like BuddyPress and its activity log table and such. I can't not add the user. So looking at some ideas from others. Might just end up following the WP XML import and see how far that gets me.

As you can image the devil literally is in the details on that.

• Mari
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi all,

I'm new to WMPU Dev, and am looking forward to being a part of this community.

I'm so glad to hear this is in development. This is one point I was worried about since I'm planning on using multisite for clients...

IMHO it's a requirement to be able to easily migrate client blogs from a multisite environment to a single site installation - hassle-free, I mean.

I'm going to keep my eye on this one... :slight_smile:

--Mari

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm interested in the migration functionality of Snapshot as well, hoping this feature will be available soon. Is it possible to make it available for just single site installations?

Thanks for all the hard work, much appreciated!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

All,

It is finally here. The first BETA of Snapshot with migration logic. W00t!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/snapshot/beta/snapshot-3.0-Beta-1L.zip

What works and more important what does not:

The overall restore processing has been changed to use temporary database tables. This makes it easier to perform the restore plus if something goes wrong you are not left with a broken system. After all tables have been restored the logic to update URLs, update usermeta prefixes is performed. Lastly, the temporary tables are renamed to the product names with the destination table prefix used.

Single to Single: This works pretty well and I've tested this on a number of client sites pulled locally to my development system. Have not tested the other direction but I don't think there are any issues.

Multisite (subsite) to Single: Have not tested. The problem will be that Snapshot does not include the global tables when creating the archive for the subsite. The global tables are only included when backups for the primary site are created.

Single to Multisite (subsite): This works to restore the tables and files with one exception. The global tables user and usermeta are not merged into the Multisite tables. There are a couple if scenarios I'm looking ant and at the moment I just don't have a good working solution. The problem is the issue of the User ID. When I look at the import process from the Tools > Import I see how WP will just add the user then update the user ID in the posts table. This is somewhat wrong. The problem I have with that is this breaks BuddyPress and any other plugins that stores user IDs into its own data. So fro now this is on hold.

Multisite A (subsite) to Multisite B (subsite): Moving subsites between two different Multisite installs will see the same effect as the Single to Multisite. The data tables will be restored along with the files. But the last hitch is the users and usermeta tables.

Multisite A (subsite) to Multisite A (subsite): Moving/Cloning a subsite within the same Multisite can be done and works well. For example I can backup my #2 subsite and restore it to subsite #15. You are still going to have an issue with the global users and usermeta. But a slightly different one. Obviously the user table will be correct since the users are global. But the usermeta table needs to have some rows added to allow non-Super Admin user access to the subsite. This is actually pretty small and I'll make a note to add the logic for the next beta.

Multisite (primary) to Multisite (subsite): not addressed or tested at this point.

Multisite (primary) to Single: not addressed or tested at this point. This should potentially be easy since the primary site snapshot archive will include the users and usermeta tables.

Lots of progress but still feel this needs a lot more work. Once I get over the hurdle of the users and usermeta things will come together better I think. Also will be adding logic to restore specific items from the themes and/or plugins folders. As well as logic to not automatically restore themes/plugin if the restore version is older.

Known issues:

Just one at the moment. When restoring Single to Multisite (subsite) I noted this morning in the files section it includes the plugins and themes checkboxes. This may or may not be a good thing. This is what prompted my previous paragraph about allowing specific themes/plugins to be restored instead of the entire directory. I can see if you are moving a client site from single to your Multisite you might want to include the client's theme if not already on your system. But not allow other themes they may have installed.

Also, to be included at some point is logic to preserve user passwords. This is for the main snapshot not just migrations logic. Mainly for site who restore an older archive and the password had changed. Once the restore is complete the user needs to authenticate again since WP things the cookie hash has changed. Sure the user can do the password reset but then you run into other issue of email might not be configured etc. etc.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Dean Kaus @Duncan @jayjay @Gene @Mari @Tevya Washburn @RavanH @Mark de Scande @elpino @kipley @garymgordon @phillcoxon @imaginetek @Leofitz @jakilevy

The beta is here as we were all waiting :slight_smile: Any one ready to take it for a spin ?

Cheers, PC

• Jeff Brown
    • Flash Drive

I didn't see any mention of it, but I tried Multisite A (primary) to Multisite B (primary) and I think I stumped it. Multisite A had 3 sub-sites. The move was from WP Engine to WebFaction. About 15 minutes have passed since I tried to scan for archives to restore, and I see no new activity after:

Processing archive: CACHEDIR.TAG
    Processing archive: snapshot-1375983021-130808-173021-564d7012.zip

I'm not sure if it was that or if my archive was simply too large at 121 MB, or if it was something else altogether. Also, I wasn't able to get Snapshots to appear on a sub-site; I could only Network Activate it. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

I'll try a few other non-multisite scenarios soon to see if any other outcomes result. Thanks for the update, though; I'm really excited to see if we can get this to work!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jeff,

Thanks. The Multisite (primary) to Multisite (primary should have been mentioned as untested and still under development. In other words mostly the single to single is working. Other scenarios are still iffy. But thanks for the notes.

About 15 minutes have passed since I tried to scan for archives to restore, and I see no new activity after:

I'm not sure what this mean. You go to Snapshots > Settings, then to the scan metabox. Click the scan button. It will report found archive. Once the page stops loading you should be able to go to the Snapshots > All Snapshots and see the listing. I know the scan/import needs some work. Trying to focus on the migration logic first. My plan is to move the scan/import into its own page and have a better UI. Also allowing import by providing a URL. The size should not matter. The import process just pulls out the manifest.txt file which is created as part of the archive. This tells Snapshot where the archive came from, what the table prefix and URLs were. You should be able to take an archive created from a current snapshot system and import cleanly into a new system.

Also, I wasn't able to get Snapshots to appear on a sub-site; I could only Network Activate it. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

That is a different feature request. No part of this thread has mentioned getting snapshot so show on a sub-site. On a Multisite system Snapshot still is only Network visible.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Tevya Washburn

Yes, See my comment on the details. Complete with link to snapshot beta.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/was-wondering-if-snapshot-can-backup-from-one-server-and-then-be-restored-on-another-server#post-478278

Give it a try. Let me know. No special backup is needed. You should be able to take an archive from an existing released version of snapshot and import into a migration site and run the restore. Let me know.

• Mari
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@PC... Just quickly popping in to let you know I haven't ignored your call. :slight_smile:

I just moved to WPMU Hosting and am still in the process of setting everything up so I'm not yet able to do any tests.

I'm interested in a multisite to single move though, and from what I understand from your previous post, this isn't yet possible, right?

It's great to see this moving forward though, and I'm excited to see what the future holds.

--Mari

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@paul or @pc This is probably a stupid question however I thought I'd ask BEFORE I mess up anything.

To use the snapshot to move a site to a new server what are the steps to do this? For example do I need to install all plugins and themes etc... on the new site first? Do I only need to install the new snapshot plugin on the new site and then FTP the snapshot from the original site? Ready to test but not sure what steps to take.

I've been in video editing mode for the last couple of months and so programming and web mode is foggy. (plus I have the being old factor against me as well)

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Dean Kaus,

Great questions and my apologies for no providing explicit details. The migrations logic is specific to the restore functionality of the beta. With that being said I went with the premise that nothing needs to change on the source WP system. So you should be able to run the most current released version of Snapshot (2.3.3.6) take one of those archives and copy if to the destination system. Then run the import then finally the restore.

Here are the steps in detail:

1. On the source system (the system you are copying from) run a full snapshot archive. Be sure to include themes, plugins, media files you want to transfer to the destination system.

2. On the destination system you need to install WordPress and have it setup and ready. You need to install the beta version of Snapshot which have the migration logic included. Good idea to not enable other plugins since they will be removed when you run the restore. Leave the default Snapshot archive folder set to wp-content/uploads/snapshots/

3. Once the source archive is complete you will need to manually copy this over to the destination system. I know this is a pain since you will probably need to copy the file to your local desktop then upload to the destination server. I'll release a version end of next week which will allow pulling the file via URL from the destination system. On the destination system the file needs to be uploaded to the default Snapshot folder (see previous step for exact path).

4. Once you have the file on the destination server in the snapshot folder go to wp-admin. Go to Snapshots > Settings. You will see the 'scan' metabox. This scan will look in the archive folder for new snapshot archives. It should list the filename as it finds it. very important note. Wait until the page finishes loading. This may take a few (2-3) minutes. Once the page loading is finished go to Snapshots > All Snapshots. You should see the archive in the listing. As this is a fresh WP install you should not have more than one item showing. But that is my assumption.

5. Once you see the imported archive click the 'restore' option on the hover link of the archive name. This will bring you to a second screen to verify the archive selected. Click the archive name. You will be sent to the final restore screen.

6. On the final restore screen you will see some options to perform the restore. If you are restoring from single into a Multisite you will need to select the destination blog within your Multisite system. Note the destination blog MUST already exist. Snapshot will not create the site. If you are restoring from single to single you will see information showing the original source DB table prefix and what snapshot has determined to be the new DB table prefix. If you are changing domain/URLs then snapshot will not this as well.

7. Review the DB tables to be restored. There is special logic to not include the users and usermeta. So make sure these are selected.

8. Select what files to restore. Since this is migration you probably want all of them.

9. Finally click the button at the bottom to start the restore. If all goes well (and I hope) then your system will come back and you will be able to verify the restore worked.

10. Finally notes back to me or this thread. Please provide details on how the restore worked or did not work. Please provide details about what type of restore you attempted. Feedback is always important.

Thanks

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@paul @pc
    Ok I may have figured out the previous problem listed above. In the settings snapshot defaulted to PclZip for compression. After I switched it to the Zip Archive it appeared to zip the entire site.

Now for next problem (see attached screen capture.) I selected scan as outlined and the page refreshed in under 5 seconds and seemed to stall on the processing archive and that was it. Nothing to let me know whether the process is still running, completed or what. Hopefully there is something that can pop up when the processing is completed.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Dean Kaus,

No there is no message or anything on the individual file to let you know the processing was complete. See my previous comments in this thread about re-doing the scan/imported. That part of the beta is still the original code.

When you go to All Snapshots is it not showing in the listing? If not then maybe we should hold off on testing until I finish reworking the scan/import code. Will have a new beta end of next week which will handle the imports better.

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Paul, I'm getting the following error when trying to do the restore on a single site WP install...

Fatal error: Class 'ZipArchive' not found in /home/assembly/public_html/wp-content/plugins/snapshot/lib/snapshot_utilities.php on line 1275

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene,

Hmm. What version of PHP are you running? Better is to go to Snapshots > Settings and look at the information provided on the 'System Info' section.

Strange though since ZipArchive is part of PHP and has been for some time.

As an alternate try going to Snapshots > Settings and at the bottom of the page is a section 'Compression Library'. Try switching to PclZIP which is part of WordPress.

I'll add some code to double check ZipArchive is found and if not only use PclZIP.

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Paul, according to settings page, I'm running PHP 5.3.22. I noticed that it also says ZLip Compression is off. I'm running a VPS so maybe I need to have something turned on... Also, under the Compression Library section, I'm only seeing PclZip as an option, which is already selected... I'll check with my host if they can turn on ZipArchive.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene, @Dean Kaus,

...and here is the new beta.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/snapshot/beta/snapshot-3.0-Beta-2A.zip

The new beta has a new Import menu option. This works similar to the original Scan option on the settings panel of the current version of Snapshot but with some significant changes:

1. Now provides notation when the import process has completed.
    2. Now supports remote files. Now you can pull in files from remote server, Dropbox, Amazon S3. Note the remote file MUST be accessible via a public URL as this process does not allow for authentication. See notes on the input field.
    3. Much faster import. The previous version would extract the entire archive. This takes time. The new version just extracts the needed manifest.txt to load the needed information.

Note: You must reactivate the plugin in order to see the new Import menu.

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Paul, I just tried the new beta (2A), while I was able to successfully complete the restore process it seems that none of the post and page content came through... There should be 4 published posts and 5 published pages, I'm only see the single default post and page...

Also, I should point out that this cPanel account is limited to only 1 MySQL database, not sure if the restore process needs to create a new DB or not...

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene,

No, the restore does not create a new database. But unlike the current snapshot which restore tables directly. The beta first restores all tables to the same database with with a temporary prefix. Then once all the tables and files are finished is goes through the does the URL replacement processing and other tasks. Once that is done it will remove the original table then rename the temporary table into the product name.

Any chance I can get a look at your archive? Can you provide a link where I can download it? You can send my an email to paul [at] incsub.com

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene, @Dean Kaus,

Finally testing you snapshot archive on my local dev site. Here is how/what I'm testing.

1. Clean WP 3.5.2 single (not Multisite). Fresh database running Snapshot 2A and default theme. No other plugins installed or active.

2. Copy the snapshot archive to the wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ directory. Import the Snapshot. Go to Snapshots > All Snapshots it shows in the listing. Click the hover link for restore. Select the archive on the next page. On the restore options page I noted the information related to the source archive database information (see image).

3. Select all tables except the users and usermeta. Select all Files.

4. Perform restore. Showed the posts and postmeta tables were restored. At least is shows a row count. This was also confirmed via phpMyAdmin (see image

5. After the restore I was prompted by WP to upgrade the database.

6. After the DB upgrade I went to the Posts and Pages sections and show items in the listing (see next 2 images).

7. As a final I went to the front-end and see the new theme active as well as content. Here is an image of the About page. Note I did have to go to Settings > Permalinks and resave the permalinks.

It is possible that you are trying on WP 3.6. I'll setup a throw away dev site after I post this message. But I can't think there would be much difference in the restore between WP 3.5.2 and 3.6. But you never know.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Just tested on a fresh WP 3.6 regular (not Multisite) and same results. All Posts and Pages were imported. Not seeing any issues.

Give me some details on your setup that I can try and figure out what the issue might be. Also both of you stated the same issue related to Posts and Pages not showing. I'm assuming you both checked WP Posts/Pages listing. Can I ask that you also check the database table. See if for some reason the wp_posts and/or wp_postmeta tables are locked.

As I mentioned in my previous post the restore process will create temporary tables first. Then once all DB imports are done the tables are renamed. So it could be the rename is not happening. So get into your phpMyAdmin and check if you have any tables with the prefix '_snapshot_recover_' showing.

So for example if your posts table is named ws_posts the restore temporary table would be '_snapshot_recover_ws_posts'

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Paul, I tried again with another site and the same results. Snapshot tells me that everything completed successfully but when I refresh the dashboard, the post and page contents are not there. All files and plugins are there but not activated. The source website is running WP 3.5.2 and the destination site is running WP 3.6. I did verify in the database that the temporary tables are there with all of the data but it seems nothing got transferred to the official WP tables...

How can I check if wp_posts and/or wp_postmeta tables are locked?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene,

I did verify in the database that the temporary tables are there with all of the data but it seems nothing got transferred to the official WP tables...

Ok. Let me ask clearly. You are seeing the normal WP tables AND the snapshot restore temporary tables?

If so this means Snapshot it having trouble with the last set of comments. The comment is to drop the existing table then rename the restore table to the original name.

Two things. On the last screen before you start the restore. Can you provide a screenshot of the 'Restore Blog Options' section. This is the section showing the source table and destination table. Second can you provide a screenshot showing the phpMyAdmin tables listing?

How can I check if wp_posts and/or wp_postmeta tables are locked?

Not sure how to check this exactly. Basically this goes down to the permissions for the DB user used for WP. Some sites just give the user full authority. Some limit what the user can do. In most cases you can check in phpMyAdmin. When you select the database you might see a Users or Privileges tab. Mine looks something like the following image where I can select that the user can do certain things to the database. I'll need to figure out a method to check for that.

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Paul, yes, I see both the Snapshot temporary tables and the WP tables. I've also confirmed that DB user has all privileges. I'm going to do the restore again with a completely fresh install of WP 3.6 and take some screenshots.

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Paul, also noticed another thing before I deleted everything. On the final restore page, at the bottom section (Restore Theme Options), I saw that it listed my current theme as an option. When I did the restore the very first time, it only showed Twenty Thirteen and Twenty Twelve themes, not my active theme. Not sure if this bit of info may help or not...

New Screenshots
    First attachment is the restore screen from a fresh install, created new cPanel account, setup the DB, installed WP 3.6

This is odd, I'm now getting a huge error message when I click on restore. I'm pretty certain I did everything exactly as before...

Second attachment is the error message

• Gene
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

copy and paste of error message:

{"errorStatus":false,"errorText":"","responseText":"","restoreFile":"\/home\/kimlylaw\/public_html\/wp-content\/uploads\/snapshots\/snapshot-1376506329-130814-185209-a5c8ff5d.zip","MANIFEST":{"WP_VERSION":"3.5.2","WP_DB_VERSION":"22442","SEGMENT_SIZE":"1000","ITEM":{"timestamp":1376506329,"blog-id":0,"name":"snapshot","notes":"","user":1,"tables-option":"all","tables-sections":{"wp":{"ws_commentmeta":"ws_commentmeta","ws_comments":"ws_comments","ws_links":"ws_links","ws_options":"ws_options","ws_postmeta":"ws_postmeta","ws_posts":"ws_posts","ws_term_relationships":"ws_term_relationships","ws_term_taxonomy":"ws_term_taxonomy","ws_terms":"ws_terms","ws_usermeta":"ws_usermeta","ws_users":"ws_users"},"non":[],"other":{"ws_launcheffect":"ws_launcheffect"},"error":[]},"tables-count":0,"files-option":"selected","files-sections":["themes","plugins","media","htaccess"],"files-ignore":[],"files-count":1783,"interval":"immediate","interval-offset":"","destination-directory":"","destination":"local","destination-sync":"archive","archive-count":0,"data":{"1376506329":{"timestamp":1376506329,"tables-option":"all","tables-sections":{"wp":{"ws_commentmeta":"ws_commentmeta","ws_comments":"ws_comments","ws_links":"ws_links","ws_options":"ws_options","ws_postmeta":"ws_postmeta","ws_posts":"ws_posts","ws_term_relationships":"ws_term_relationships","ws_term_taxonomy":"ws_term_taxonomy","ws_terms":"ws_terms","ws_usermeta":"ws_usermeta","ws_users":"ws_users"},"non":[],"other":{"ws_launcheffect":"ws_launcheffect"},"error":[]},"files-option":"selected","files-sections":["themes","plugins","media","htaccess"],"files-count":1783,"destination":"local","destination-directory":"","destination-sync":"archive","time-start":1376506391,"time-end":1376506434}}},"TABLES":{"ws_commentmeta":{"table_name":"ws_commentmeta","table_name_base":"commentmeta","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_commentmeta","label":"ws_commentmeta","table_name_dest":"ws_commentmeta"},"ws_comments":{"table_name":"ws_comments","table_name_base":"comments","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_comments","label":"ws_comments","table_name_dest":"ws_comments"},"ws_links":{"table_name":"ws_links","table_name_base":"links","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_links","label":"ws_links","table_name_dest":"ws_links"},"ws_options":{"table_name":"ws_options","table_name_base":"options","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_options","label":"ws_options","table_name_dest":"ws_options"},"ws_postmeta":{"table_name":"ws_postmeta","table_name_base":"postmeta","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_postmeta","label":"ws_postmeta","table_name_dest":"ws_postmeta"},"ws_posts":{"table_name":"ws_posts","table_name_base":"posts","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_posts","label":"ws_posts","table_name_dest":"ws_posts"},"ws_term_relationships":{"table_name":"ws_term_relationships","table_name_base":"term_relationships","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_term_relationships","label":"ws_term_relationships","table_name_dest":"ws_term_relationships"},"ws_term_taxonomy":{"table_name":"ws_term_taxonomy","table_name_base":"term_taxonomy","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_term_taxonomy","label":"ws_term_taxonomy","table_name_dest":"ws_term_taxonomy"},"ws_terms":{"table_name":"ws_terms","table_name_base":"terms","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_terms","label":"ws_terms","table_name_dest":"ws_terms"},"ws_usermeta":{"table_name":"ws_usermeta","table_name_base":"usermeta","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_usermeta","label":"ws_usermeta","table_name_dest":"ws_usermeta"},"ws_users":{"table_name":"ws_users","table_name_base":"users","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_users","label":"ws_users","table_name_dest":"ws_users"},"ws_launcheffect":{"table_name":"ws_launcheffect","table_name_base":"launcheffect","table_name_restore":"_snapshot_recover_ws_launcheffect","label":"ws_launcheffect","table_name_dest":"ws_launcheffect"}},"TABLES-DATA":[{"table_name":"ws_commentmeta","rows_total":0,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"rows_start":0,"rows_end":0,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":467},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":1000,"table_name":"ws_comments","rows_total":1267,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":2,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":1026247},{"rows_start":1000,"rows_end":267,"table_name":"ws_comments","rows_total":1267,"segment_idx":2,"segment_total":2,"ftell_before":1026247,"ftell_after":1269545},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":7,"table_name":"ws_links","rows_total":7,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":1987},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":536,"table_name":"ws_options","rows_total":536,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":863983},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":540,"table_name":"ws_postmeta","rows_total":540,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":53993},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":383,"table_name":"ws_posts","rows_total":383,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":828922},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":36,"table_name":"ws_term_relationships","rows_total":36,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":2697},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":4,"table_name":"ws_term_taxonomy","rows_total":4,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":933},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":4,"table_name":"ws_terms","rows_total":4,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":707},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":75,"table_name":"ws_usermeta","rows_total":75,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":8277},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":3,"table_name":"ws_users","rows_total":3,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":1368},{"rows_start":0,"rows_end":4,"table_name":"ws_launcheffect","rows_total":4,"segment_idx":1,"segment_total":1,"ftell_before":0,"ftell_after":1057}],"FILES-DATA":["themes","plugins","media"],"SNAPSHOT_VERSION":"2.3.3.2","WP_BLOG_ID":"0","WP_DB_NAME":"kimlylaw_wp","WP_DB_BASE_PREFIX":"ws_","WP_DB_PREFIX":"ws_","WP_UPLOAD_PATH":"wp-content\/uploads","WP_HOME":"http:\/\/www.kimlylaw.com","WP_SITEURL":"http:\/\/www.kimlylaw.com","WP_BLOG_NAME":"","WP_BLOG_DOMAIN":"www.kimlylaw.com","WP_BLOG_PATH":null,"RESTORE":{"SOURCE":{"WP_BLOG_ID":"0","WP_DB_PREFIX":"ws_","WP_SITEURL":"http:\/\/www.kimlylaw.com"},"DEST":{"WP_BLOG_ID":"0","WP_DB_PREFIX":"ws_","WP_SITEURL":"http:\/\/172.245.58.142\/~kimlylaw"}}}} Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/kimlylaw/public_html/wp-includes/cache.php on line 113

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene,

sorry to loose track of this thread. Has been a busy support week for some of my other plugins I support here. So back to Snapshot migrations...

I've tested the plugin on no less than 12 different hosting configurations. All seems to work as expected. In each case I've used your previously provided archive. No problems and more important no issue with the posts table.

So sort of back to trying to figure out what is different on your hosting. If you get a chance can you email me (I think you still have my email address) where you are hosting your site or more specific where the site is hosted that you attempted the migration. I might try and setup my own hosting that I can play with to see if there is something with the DB user security.

Thanks.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene,

Great news. was able to figure out my issue. I was able to get things restored and even upload other snapshot archives from other systems and all seemed to work correctly. Thank you!

So now moving on to the next phase. Finally!

P-

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Gene,

Great news. was able to figure out my issue. I was able to get things restored and even upload other snapshot archives from other systems and all seemed to work correctly. Thank you!

So now moving on to the next phase. Finally!

P-

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

@paul work great gave an error while overwriting .htacess but was a mess up wordpress in version 3.4 i updated it to newsest install beta and hit restore, but now cant login i forgot to not restore the wpconfig, gonna delete the folder now.. and re up the folder that was there to try without marking wpconfig and .htacces

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@elpino,

Yeah, I'm working on a new beta that will preserve the user's password for just that reason. Had some old archives I was working with and had the same issue.

So any idea why there was an error restoring the .htaccess? Is it locked down? As long as the file is writable it should be able to replace it.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@elpino,

were could i have a notion of this error to pass along when i re-do this in some minutes.

Well you tell me buddy. In your previous post you wrote "work great gave an error while overwriting .htacess but " so I assumed there was some reported error.

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

@paul clean install same thing, tried to restore without .htaccess and wp-config they restore sucesfully but nothing gets change, then i try with .htacces sucesfully but nothing change, when you check wp-config it gives and error but the site is there... but is pulling everything from old site...

i was restoring site.com/working to site.com
    attach a screen of the error
    Cheers

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@elpino,

So was think about this more today. Specifically what you were attempting which was restore on the .htaccess and wp-config.php. I think when you are moving a site from one server environment to another restoring the wp-config.php would be a bad thing as this would break the database information. Follow?

Maybe the solution is to restore the files but not replace the current version. Since the restore must have a working WP system in order to function. So maybe restore the files as .htaccess_restore and wp-config_restore.php. Then once the restore is finished the admin can manually move the restored files into place.

Other than trying to parse the wp-config.php and update the database connection information which I really don't want to attempt because this would cause system breaks.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

This may be a pretty stupid question, at least shows my lack of experience with cpanel etc... I was making a complete backup of a site using the cpanel backup wizard and not sure if I understood this correctly as I hit enter and the screen disappeared. I believe it said that you couldn't restore from the cpanel (backup wizard) but it's purpose was to move the site to another server. Did I read that correctly. Again I was working at a clients and really didn't get a good look at the screen.

• Ronald
    • The Crimson Coder

Wow, what a long thread...
    Besides my +1 for the above mentioned addition to Snapshot, I'd like to request the following:

1) limit the max number of copies in Dropbox, older copies are deleted automatically
    OR
    2) change name of Dropbox zip files. Now it is snapshot-longnumber.zip. I'd prefer sitename-longnumber.zip.
    That way I can keep them in 1 destination and delete simply, in stead of deleting in every dir seperate (how else can I keep the snapshots per site apart than putting them in separate dirs?)

Thx and cheers!!

• ttwajsb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I didn't read the entire thread, so please forgive if addressed already, but I don't want my subsite users to be able to escape their subscription payment to me by using Snapshot to migrate to another host.

So ... will the clearly much-requested ability to migrate using Snapshot also have a network-enabled means to prevent subsite admins from running off with the main site's intellectual property?

• elpino
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi ther @Ronald

2) change name of Dropbox zip files. Now it is snapshot-longnumber.zip. I'd prefer sitename-longnumber.zip.
    That way I can keep them in 1 destination and delete simply, in stead of deleting in every dir seperate (how else can I keep the snapshots per site apart than putting them in separate dirs?)

I prefer diferent dirs, in my case i use synch so if they are in the same dir all files will get mess up, i like that each client site is separate in folders so i can work with then and locate each client site when i need it by dir.

Cheer
    Alex

• qtree-systems

I definitely +1 all of the restore capabilities especially multi-site to multi-site.

@Paul
    Thanks for all the hard work and great advice.
    I ended up having the issue of the "_snapshot_recover" tables not replacing the "wp_" tables after the restore. These were the steps I took:

-I created a new cPanel
    -Created the db and added the user
    -FTP WP 3.6.1
    -Went through the automatic WP install (just went to the URL and let it to its thing)
    -Added the 3.0-Beta-2A plugin
    -FTP the snapshot backup (it was from a single WP install)
    -Did the "import" on the snapshot plugin, it found the .zip backup
    -Went to "all snapshots"
    -Hovered and clicked "restore"
    -Clicked on the file name of the .zip to restore
    -The attached files show the settings, restore process, and the phpMyAdmin tables

Please let me know what you think. Are there other pieces of info that you need?

Cheers,

Dave

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@And.Hello,

Is is coming. Sorry, I have almost 20 other plugins to manage and some of those had some bug I needed to address. My hope is to release this officially as part of Snapshot this week. The restore code will show a message about the functionality on migration is experimental.

As soon as I make that released this thread will be closed. We can open a new one to discuss the other migration options.

And apologizes I never posted a beta B which corrected the logic for the beta A. The beta A actually missed some code (commented out) which did the rename of the temp restored tables to the real one. I'll try and post that today.

Thanks all for your support.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

All,

It is finally here. A new last beta (hopefully). This beta finishes where the other beta left off. You can now export a blog from a Multisite and make it a stand alone site. You can also export/import from one Multisite, or within the same one, to create a new clone.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/snapshot/beta/snapshot-3.0-Beta-2K.zip

Give it a whirl this week. I'll keep track of this thread for issue but will be out of touch the first week of October. Hoping to finally release this plugin the week after.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@And.Hello, @RavanH,

I want to be very clear on the migration logic for Snapshot. It will only migrate a blog within Multisite not the entire Multisite system.

Also in the case where you are migrating a blog into a Multisite system the user ID values will change. The plugin does update the user ID values within the core WordPress tables: wp_posts and wp_comments as well as wp_users and wp_usermeta. But for other plugins like BP or even some of our own plugins like membership and Friends the user ID column is not updated. So this could create some major issue.

So I'm interested in exact details of your respective migrations.

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

@Paul - Perfectly clear :slight_smile: I cannot give an ETA for our coming migration (where different sites will be moved to different networks) but it I expect it to be in the first half of october. Will keep you posted on our experience! Thanks again for all your work.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@elpino,

Yeah, the original beta had some bad code in it. I think I provided the wrong code base. Having to test back and forth between regular WordPress and Multisite installs copying the plugin code changes is sometimes a little tricky. Especially when I have to stop and answer urgent support threads.

so hopefully this newer beta will work much better. But let me know.

• aam

Paul
    >I want to be very clear on the migration logic for Snapshot. It will only migrate a blog within Multisite not the entire Multisite system.
    I exactly want this: clone one site (Say SiteA) repeatedly in the MS install within the SAME install to SiteB, SiteC, SiteD etc..
    So:
    I installed the latest beta (you provied 4 days ago). I could only find one 'import' tab extra in the plugin's menu.
    I took the snapshot of Mainsite/SiteA and archived it on local server
    I went to the import tab, but found no way to clone this to another site. All that the import function did upon clicking the "Scan/Import Snapshots' was to enlist the archived snapshot at the bottom.

What am I missing here? How do I proceed?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@aam,

I installed the latest beta (you provied 4 days ago). I could only find one 'import' tab extra in the plugin's menu.

Ah. You are very close and yes I was worried that users would see the 'import' menu and assume that is where you import/clone site. But it is not. The 'import' section is for when you manually move an archive from some remote system into your existing system. When you run that import snapshot scans the archives folder and will import any missing items. Once the import has finished the archive will show in the All Snapshots listing.

What you want is a little more obscure. You already have a local archive of your SiteA. You just need to restore it to a different site. Start at Snapshot > All Snapshots where you see the listing of all the archive. Hover on the row the SiteA archive. You will see the 'restore' option. Click it. On the next screen shows the selection of archives for the snapshot. In most cases this will be one item. Once you've made that selection on the next screen you will see the options for the restore. Note the destination must already exist.

• aam

@Paul
    PERRRFECT!! :grinning:slight_smile:. Works exactly as you said!
    Thank you so much for guiding through. Very happy now because as of late things were just not working out... I hope this breaks the trend.
    May you have a great holiday!

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Paul, I tried importing an archive and restoring it to a new site on another network. It was difficult to find the way but I arrived there without any big blunders :wink: However, I did find an incompatibility. Both networks are running WP 3.6 but the old network was originally a pre-WP3.5 installation so it has the old /blogs.dir/xx/ upload paths while the new network is a clean 3.6 install and uses the new /uploads/sites/xx/ paths.

The result after restore is that media files are now referenced with a sort of combination of these two paths like for example: wp-content/blogs.dir/47/files/sites/14/2011/05/picto.jpg

The files are actually restored to their original old server location /blogs.dir/XX etc... Which is not really what we want...

• Rone

What you want is a little more obscure. You already have a local archive of your SiteA. You just need to restore it to a different site. Start at Snapshot > All Snapshots where you see the listing of all the archive. Hover on the row the SiteA archive. You will see the 'restore' option. Click it. On the next screen shows the selection of archives for the snapshot. In most cases this will be one item. Once you've made that selection on the next screen you will see the options for the restore. Note the destination must already exist.

So I just used this feature today. THIS IS A GAMECHANGER to say the very least.

I've been using iThemes BackBuddy on my Mutlisite installs for over a year now and its simply not built with WP Network's in mind...not really. It works with WP Networks, but can be very buggy especially with new plugin updates. In BackUpBuddy's defense, the plugin clearly states that usage on WP Networks isn't supported and is considered an experimental feature, so caveat emptor on it's multisite usage and reliability.

Now with SnapShot (which I will switch all my network installs to), the ability to clone sites within my WP Network's is INVALUABLE. Especially when the separate site's on the network need to use the same banner's or navigation menus and general design elements, but need to be separate for things like blogging, targeted analytics & SEO widget content, etc. Subtraction is typically easier than Addition when setting up wordpress network site clones. The math is even easier now with this new SnapShot feature.

So all the gold stars to WPMUDev, the Devs behind SnapShot and the update, as well as the community who got behind this update. :slight_smile:

-------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I know this latest beta release is super fresh, but here's my feedback on my experience using the feature:

1) It would be awesome to be able to set the Site Name and Tagline if cloning a network site into another site on the same network (its nice we currently have the ability to set the theme to be applied for the cloned site). When I did this today, the cloned site took on these two attributes (Site Name and Tagline) from the original snapshot. It was not a huge deal as I just used the URLs to distinguished which was which and manually changed the Site Name for the cloned site. Being able to set those parameters for the cloned site during the cloning process would eliminate that manual reconciliation step once the cloning is complete.

2) ...and this is really crazy, but here we go:

Batch cloning.

So let's say I have a boilerplate network site I have fully built out in terms of theme, pages, posts, widget areas, plugin etc. I use this boiler plate clone and create copies for new sites that need to maintain the design look and feel. Challenge is, I need to create 500 sites on my new network using this boilerplate. Now...with today's SnapShot update, my job has already gotten 1 millions times easier and faster when I set out to clone this boilerplate site 500 times. But that's still 500 manual cloning processes I have to undertake.

Batch creating 500 sites on the network isn't an issue, again thanks to WPMUDev.

In terms of UI, if there was a listing of all the blogs on the network, similar to a listing of all database tables when creating a SnapShot, then you could check off the sites that you wanted to clone using the boilerplate site.

-"Check All / Uncheck All" links would be nice here.
    -Again, in accordance with #1 above, being able to set the Site Title and Tagline for each site to be "cloned" would be nice. This part would have to be a manual no matter what I would think.

Challenges with #2
    PHP Memory Limit is the elephant in the room. The only things I can think to address this "pachyderm" are:

-Segment the batch cloning into separate chunks, streams. Similar to how email services would break up emailing 5,000 recipients into 50 chunks every 30 minutes.

-Stress to users that his feature should ONLY REALLY be used to setup new networks, NOT for cloning your 10 year old wordpress site, the one with 6,000 posts and 35,000 comments, 500 times as that will likely result in an out of memory error as a limitation of PHP server settings not the SnapShot plugin.

Thanks again everyone, today's update has really has made my year if that wasn't obvious.

Ok, I'm going to go take a nap now.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Rone@,

Thanks for the input. Really 500 new cloned site? I must be missing something in that concept. For now I will not say yes or no on the bulk cloning. I want to keep Snapshot focused as a backup/restore tool instead of a cloning tool. This is why I chose to have the restore option from an archive instead of just adding a menu option to let you clone an existing site within the network.

As for setting the Name and tagline I can agree. There is actually some more work coming in that area. Similar to where you see being able to set the theme. In most normal cases you will possibly be moving over themes and maybe plugins with the the archive. But say you want to turn off some plugins. Or maybe hand pick from the plugins included in the archive to select those which need to be turned off as part of the restore. Or worse the archive is three months old and you don't want to restore old versions of plugin that will trigger massive updates. So I want to add some intelligence to that process so you don't shoot yourself in the foot. Now that the big hurdle is over I can go back and focus on some other feature requests.

I'm closing this very very long thread. Please open new threads related to question or issues. Thanks all who participated and help test the betas.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.