Way to allow front end posting on app with plugin?

Hello out there,
We would like to use the wp-iOs/Android app for our multisite/buddypress users, but preferably we would like the members/bloggers to be able to post from the front end of the mobile app rather than the WP Dashboard..or even be able to toggle on/off.

1- Is the WPMU mobile apps buddypress, and custom post-type ready?

2- If front posting is not a feature yet, (hoping) which i am guessing it isnt, what would it take to augment the app to allow for that?

3-If we use a front-end posting plugin on each of the bloggers/sites, would the mobile app then allow this?

4- If this just isn't, or wont be a future feature, what mobile app building platforms would you recommend? PhoneGap, Xamarin, AppGyver, Titanium Studio, AnularJS??

Also, form what i can gather the WPMU wp-iOS/Android app just allows for white-labeling the native Wordpress app, or are there any custom features that WPMU built into it?

All the Best,
D

• Vaughan

Hi @digitald,

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but familiarity with the exact workings of the ioS & android apps isn't my expertise. I have asked one of my colleagues for some feedback on this for you.

#1 Not that I know of, it just allows for posting & publishing of posts/pages from the admin dashboard.

#2 No, this app works mainly via the dashboard, it does not have any front-end publishing functions. I can't give any idea of what it would take to augment those features into the app, but it would take considerable code editing.

#3 I don't think so, but hopefully Jack will be able to clarify this for you.

#4 I can certainly add this to the features list, but I couldn't give you any guarantees, it is upto the developers, but if enough people request a feature, the more likely the developers are to consider the request.

I can't really recommend any App platforms, in my opinion I've always found the mobile devices browser the best option. Wordpress has a default mobile admin dashboard theme which works perfect for what I have seen. I just find things better & easy to do with browser. I don't even use the FB app either and use my phone browser to do everything. So I can only really recommend to use the browser rather than an app based on my opinion. Others might think differently though, but I can only speak for myself in that regard.

I don't think the app offers any custom features that the wp app does other than it's possible to whitelabel it.

Hope this helps

• digitald

Thx Vaughan,
    Whats interesting is that there are some who think that WP and the responsiveness, that is built-in with certain themes, is good enough, and really for our project i just wonder how a front-end plugin would work in conjunction with a mobile browser?..any experience there?

#1 Not that I know of, it just allows for posting & publishing of posts/pages from the admin dashboard.

---Does the app account for user roles, meaning if they are a just an Author, they wont be able to see Super Admin content?

#2 No, this app works mainly via the dashboard, it does not have any front-end publishing functions. I can't give any idea of what it would take to augment those features into the app, but it would take considerable code editing.

----I wonder if one of your colleagues who has a deeper knowledge base with the app can provide some insight what it would take to allow for front-end publishing?

Thanks,
    Derich

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @digitald,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions.

---Does the app account for user roles, meaning if they are a just an Author, they wont be able to see Super Admin content?

It certainly does, if they are only say a editor or author they won't be able to access parts of the site they shouldn't be able to such as the network admin.

----I wonder if one of your colleagues who has a deeper knowledge base with the app can provide some insight what it would take to allow for front-end publishing?

This would require a custom view for the front-end of the site and for it to be re-written to use ajax, your app would be refused if it was actually loading pages (Apple would refuse, Google should accept).

You can find more on creating a custom view here http://developer.android.com/training/custom-views/index.html

That would then need to integrate with the plugin and the WordPress XML-RPC API http://codex.wordpress.org/XML-RPC_WordPress_API

That would take advanced custom development.

A front-end app is something we may consider in the future, though it isn't currently planned. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.