way to automatically add subscribers to BBPress group?

Is there a way to automatically add people who join my site to BuddyPress groups based on their subscription type in the Membership Plugin?

I would like to have free Trial accounts and paid Full Membership accounts on my system and for each of these types of membership to have their own forum. The Trial account forum can be open, but the Full Membership one will be private.

As I understand it I can control access to BBPress forums via Groups. Is there a way to automatically add people who join my site to BuddyPress groups based on their subscription type in the Membership Plugin and to change their group automatically when they switch to Full Membership?

Thanks in advance.

• Kimberly

Hello William!

If you visit the Advanced Tab in the Access Levels Menu you will see that you can assign a WP user role to a Membership Level.

Also, Membership uses the Buddypress Registration if Buddypress is present so you users will be Buddypress members. All you should need to do is set their access and they will be able to see whatever you set as they upgrade :slight_smile:

Please let me know if I'm missing the boat or if you are not seeing this behavior. :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

If the above action did not result in the resolution or common end to this ticket then please feel free to come back here for comment. Just be sure you mark "Not Resolved" to re-open or we might miss it! :slight_smile: Thanks!

• william_martin

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for that. However, I thought roles were more like Moderator, Administrator etc.. rather than being a member of a specific group which I have created such as Trial Member, Full Member, This could be my confusion from being fairly new to the WP, BuddyPress etc.

Also, maybe I am going about this the wrong way. I am used to systems where access to, say a forum, is done by the system admin and signup process assigning people to a group (or groups) and this gives the user the access they need. But I see that BuddyPress uses groups somewhat differently in that non admins can create their own groups and invite people into them etc.

At the moment I am not sure how to create what I want; which is that someone not paying automatically gets access to the Trial Membership forum and those paying get access to the Full Membership forum as well as the Trial Membership forum.

Does the Membership plugin use groups for access control? If so does it use the same name for the group as I use to set the name for the Access level? If so then maybe it will come out in the wash.

In the meantime I've ordered various books on WordPress and will keep digging around.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.