Way to Ban comment spammers from the site in Buddypress Groups

I need a way to ban users from my site who spam groups, ban them by IP and other ways like user name, email address etc.

In WP Settings/Discussions theres a Ban list for blocking comment spammers but I do not know if it translates “down” to buddypress or if it is only for the main WP site blog comments. Do you know?

Thanks!

Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jsegal,

coding-monkey gave a great suggestion on a way to get the spammers under control.

Most of them are not real people but simply bots cruising the net looking for places to insert their garbage and blocking their IP’s is one of the most effective ways to combat them.

When you see how many bots/spammers there actually are you may find it quite the task blocking them one at a time.

You may want to make it so that a person must be registered and logged in to comment and further add captcha to your registration signup page.

Please advise what steps you choose to implement and your success at stopping this garbage.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

@ Joe and Joe :slight_smile:

captcha is ok, but make sure it’s not one of the ones with words all major bots can easily bypass such security, I created a bot myself to test on a local machine and it bypassed it with ease, If you use captcha use one with numbers while not full proof as nothing is, it’s cuts it out more than the word ones :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Coding-Monkey.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Joe,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.