Wc3 validator and cleaning things up – starting to get buggy 'round here

Why is it that whenever I ”think” everything is running ok enough to get back in to working on content that everything falls to shit? In short, my site is badly misbehaving and some incredibly helpful wpmu users have been holding my hand (thanks jonathan and gina) through some possible fixes. Probably a fresh install is just what I need…..But, until then – here is where I am at:

I ran the WC3 validator and my landing page/home page is returning 52 errors and 48 warnings. I was wondering if any of you have knowledge of WC3? It’s a brilliant validator engine – unfortunately, I am not brilliant and can’t figure out how to fix the errors. For example: I enter my url at http://validator.w3.org/, it returns all errors and warnings for that url, line by line. Where I am lost is where specifically those lines are in my database? Like where exactly is line 75, column 16 located so that I can go in and fix it?

I am sorry if this is such a simple thing….i’m just not getting it. I have upgraded firefox and it is not compatible with firebug :slight_frown:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Well, a couple things to keep in mind.

1. The Wc3 validator is for standards compliance. When something shows up as an ‘error’ that means it doesn’t meet the standard. Note that this doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a problem. For instance, <embed> is a common element used for embedding flash into a site. However, it was never part of any standardized version of HTML, (though it will be in HTML5) so it would show as an error.

Again, that doesn’t mean anything is wrong. In fact, all modern browsers already support a ton of elements for HTML 5. And this, really, is the more important test. The point of standards-based testing is that if your site meets the standards, then it should display fine in all browsers (assuming the browsers are rendering in a compliant way).

However, what has happened is that browsers have begun properly supporting elements far more quickly than the w3c has updated their standard – so there’s a bit of a disconnect there.

So, I wouldn’t put a ton of weight/stress into this test. If there are coding errors, they should be fixed of course, but that’s not always the case here. (For a fun test, enter in our very website into w3c and see what you get :stuck_out_tongue:)

2. The line numbers refer to it’s location in the output html. If you find a legit error that needs fixing, you’d want to find the corresponding place in your WordPress theme and updated the code there.

3. There are several versions of Firebug. I’m running Firefox 7 BETA and have firebug working just fine. Grab the version that is supported by your Firefox:

http://getfirebug.com/downloads

Hope that helps!

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Yep, it is for the tutuology site. A big huge THANKS guys. I will absolutely not stress about it then :slight_smile: Mason, thanks for the firebug download. I have used and do usse the chrome version of firebug (i guess that’s what it is). Thanks for the input Chris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.