We are having trouble with the bouncebacks. We are testing

We are having trouble with the bouncebacks. We are testing the plugin and sends out deliberate bounces. However, none gets returned even after waiting more than 24 hours. We have tried to send to mail addresses that does not exist.

1) When is the pop connection made to check for bounces? Is it triggered on a specific event, or also on cron?
2) How does the system determine what is to be treated as bounces? For example "Out of Office" messages should not be seen as a bounce.
3) Most importantly, any reason why we do not receive any bounces? All settings correct and bounce account test mail received.

As a side note, in the backend there is an option for Name and Surname (Adding Members). On the front-end subscription it only allows 'Name'. Could 'Surname' be added?

Thanks you very much for your help.

Regards
Kobus

• PC

Hey there,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

1) When is the pop connection made to check for bounces? Is it triggered on a specific event, or also on cron?

It should be instant according to me. I will however get our lead developer to confirm that for you.

2) How does the system determine what is to be treated as bounces? For example "Out of Office" messages should not be seen as a bounce.

Anything which returns as a failed delivery should be considered as bounce :slight_smile:

3) Most importantly, any reason why we do not receive any bounces? All settings correct and bounce account test mail received.

That should most ideally be a server setting. Do you receive any erros on the screen when you test for bounce email ?

As a side note, in the backend there is an option for Name and Surname (Adding Members). On the front-end subscription it only allows 'Name'. Could 'Surname' be added?

Currently the below macros can be used in newsletters :

{USER_NAME} displays the user’s WordPress username in the newsletter
    {TO_EMAIL} displays the email address the newsletter was sent to
    {VIEW_LINK} displays the link to view the newsletter in a browser
    {DATE} displays the date the newsletter was sent

However Maniu is working on a new plugin versions all the time to make it even more customizable. Let me see what he thinks on that one too :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Kobus

Hallo PC

Thank you so much for your quick response.

------------------------------
    That should most ideally be a server setting. Do you receive any errors on the screen when you test for bounce email ?

>> Server settings perfect. No error messages. Also received the test mail. I also notice in the forums this has been an issue with other users, but it looks like it has not been resolved.

Regarding the name/surname...
    >> Thank you for the macros. However, I mean when you Subscribe on the website, it only has an option for :
    Enter your Name
    Enter your E-mail address

It would be great to also have Surname here. (Wordpress backend does make provision for name and surname)

Thanks so much for your help. I think this plugin is great and with some changes can really become perfect.

• Maniu

Hello @kubus

So, bounce is checked with cron job, few minutes after sending email. This might get stuck sometime. Plugin called wp-crontrol is nice way to see whats going on in there.

I believe the problem could be somewhere else. Is your bounce email different then send email? If yes, are bounce message received on it when you check it? Sometimes SMTP server does not allow scenario like this.

If bounce messages are in bounce email, can you tell me if they have "X-Mailer" or "Message-ID" in them?

Let me know those details and will do my best to help you!

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Kobus

Wow, fantastic to receive this kind of support.

Maniu, bounced message does get delivered in Inbox - no problem. The send mail and bounce address is different.
    To check the testing bounce mail account you are welcome to login as follow:
    mail.demo4.webclick.co.za
    E-mail address : bounce@demo4.webclick.co.za
    Password : xxxxxxx

X-Mailer and Message_ID as follow:
    Message-ID: Newsletters-5752-9-9302e785da5e5e033ffc53f57546cedc
    X-Mailer: Newsletters-5752-9-9302e785da5e5e033ffc53f57546cedc

Thanks again for all your effort.

• Kobus

With wp-crontrol the cron activity is visible, and bounces delivered to the bounce email address. However, Out of Office replies also ends up as a bounce. Is there a way around this? Second question, the plugin gives bounces as a number. But what about the actual handling of bounces. It seems that you need to login to the bounce email address, go through the bounces manually, and then edit each user as needed in the e-Newsletter plugin. Is there a way to access bounces via the e-Newsletter plugin rather? And give users the option to handle bounces via e-Newsletter, rather than separately? This will make it much more user friendly.