We are new to WordPress, and subscribed to WMPUDev to help us build a new website. I have reviewed your themes, and find the offering overwhelming and difficult to evaluate with our low level of familiarity. Let me briefly detail what our planned functionality is for the site, and if you could point me to themes that should work for us, that will save us frustrating trial and error.
• website for a civic association (quasi town government).
• membership engine plugin (for subscription rev collection, content management)
• homepage with customizable nav bar, banner, features, rotating photos (changed periodically) and perhaps first line of select latest posts in key blogs on site.
• community calendar, allowing us to post events
• from home page - access to static portal page for Public, Members, Volunteers, and Officers.
• each portal page might have an explanation of the page, a list of resources (probably links to static pages or pdfs), and a list of blogs they are permissioned to see (we will have a blog for each committee/initiative area as a way to post news and updates). There would also be some standard non-portal pages like "Who are we?" and "Contact Us"
• we need to collect member profile info that includes name, address, phone, and email (for individual members), and for family members 2 names (adults), 2 phones, 2 emails and the address.
• I don't think we want to use BuddyPress features, unless it is necessary to collect the member profile info above.
• We have Twitter, FB, LinkedIn accounts - so some social integration would be nice to have.
• We probably will not want public to do more than post onto existing blogs. We are not looking to create a social or networking site.
• Aesthetically, we lean more toward the modern, clean, professional, classy rather than the folksy, or cute
Happy to answer any other questions. Thanks in advance for your assistance.