Group creation positive rules not working

Hi, we are using membership on a buddypress install (we have a dev site you can check if you need access). The issue is the group creation rule. We have 3 x membership levels:
1 - team captain
2 - team member
3 - visitor (no login)
2 and 3 have a negative group creation rule which is working fine, they cannot create groups, all good.
Level 1 team captain has a positive group creation rule set to 1 i.e. they must only be able to create 1 x group. This is not working. Any user at this level can simply visit the group create url and make unlimited groups.
Any ideas?
Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Jody,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

From your description, your using the negative rule set on one access level and positive rules on the other access levels.

With Membership, that sort of setup will conflict currently all rule sets must be the same, for example all access levels must be positive or all negative.

By default with Membership, if positive rules are used, this means if you grant a level a positive rule it blocks it automatically for all other access levels, unless that access levels also has access.

If you have negative rules being used, you must specifically set the negative rule per access level to block the content, if this makes sense?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jody

OK, wasn't clear to me. So, by this logic:

"By default with Membership, if positive rules are used, this means if you grant a level a positive rule it blocks it automatically for all other access levels, unless that access levels also has access."

I have cleared all the rules and done the following:

1 - team captain - 1 x positive rule = group creation 1 (only allowed to create 1 x group)
    2 - team member - no rules - expecting groups to be blocked as per your statement above
    3 - visitor (no login) - no rules - expecting groups to be blocked as per your statement above

Result:

1 - team captain - can create more than 1 group, seems unlimited
    2 - team member - can now also create groups
    3 - visitor (no login) - cannot create groups (default buddypress)

I assume I can only really use positive rules as only the group creation positive rule allows me to restrict group creation by number of groups.

Am I getting this, or have I read your details wrong?

Thanks

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Jody,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please reset again all the rules and doing as you have configured initially?

The membership plugin can't remove the group creation button if it's hard coded.

The plugin is assuming you've followed the same methods as in the BP standard parent theme or one of ours - which is the recommended method. If possible - can you try using a default theme like Twenty Twelve on your dev version just to make sure that the plugin is controlling the button and group creation on that, in case it's a wider problem than just the hardcoding.

Also Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.