We did not get a response from your site yet.

I can not update any of my sites from the WPMUDEV dashboard I keep getting the We did not get a response from your site yet. How can I fix this?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

We had similar discussion about this about two weeks ago:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-not-update-plugins-from-wpmudev-account

You mentioned that most of your sites are on your dedicated server and I was wondering if this was happening on your sites that are not on that server so we can check if it's server related.

Please reply either in that thread or here so we can investigate this further.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David Simon

This is what they said.

I have tested it by disabling firewall, iptables also tried to switch the PHP mode and disable mod_pagespeed etc. but still I am getting error as follows in WPMUDEV panel.

"We did not get a response from your site yet. The update might still be in progress, visit your dashboard to confirm. You can always simply update via your dashboard."

I checked all the logs on server while running the plugin upgrade from WPMUDEV, but I did not find any trace of error/warning.

I am not sure how exactly WPMUDEV is sending the plugin/theme request to server, but somehow request does not reach to the server

We will keep investigating this issue further and reply you back accordingly, meanwhile please try to contact WPMUDEV plugin vendor and let us know if it requires any custom module, setting to be enabled at server side.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David,

I hope you're well today!

Our servers are talking to your sending a regular "POST" request to an "admin-ajax.php" file. The message you're getting suggests that the server was able to communicate your site but didn't get a response in time. Therefore there'll be no need for "whitelisting" and/or changing any firewall settings.

Our servers wait 25 seconds for response and if there's no response from your site, this message shows up. There are then two possible scenarios: despite that message plugins got updated or not. To confirm that however you would need to access the site you were trying to update and check if the plugin got updated or not. Which one is a case here?

Also, when checking WP/server logs, please pay particular attention to all external "POST" requests to "admin-ajax.php" URL of your site that happened around the time you were trying to update the site. Hopefully, this way you'll be able to find what's causing that over-25-seconds response.

Could you please double-check that?

Keep me updated, please!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• David Simon

Hi Adam,

I have checked the domlogs while updating the plugin through WPMU DEV and I can see it as follows.

1.186.138.194 - - [18/Apr/2016:01:17:14 -0500] "POST /ecom/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php HTTP/1.1" 200 47 "http://seemydemosite.com/ecom/wp-admin/plugins.php?plugin_status=all&paged=1&s" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0"

I notice that it happening with one common plugin "WP Smush Pro" and If I check the plugin through wp-admin dashboard of website then I can see it is already updated.

It appears that WPMU does not detect that plugin is already updated on host site? Is there any way for force check or manually update at WPMU DEV plugin ?

http://prntscr.com/atmkud
    http://prnt.sc/atmkk2

Thanks
    Anand

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Anand!

Thanks for checking logs again.

I notice that it happening with one common plugin "WP Smush Pro" and If I check the plugin through wp-admin dashboard of website then I can see it is already updated.

This is because your WordPres did actually start update procedure. The way it works is: when you initialize plugin update via The Hub, our server queries your site and triggers the update procedure. It doesn't "push plugin file" to your site but instead it simply sends a command "update this plugin now". Then the update is performed on your site's side and The Hub waits for response (for 25 seconds) which can either be a "success" or "failed" message (along with error code). If there's no response the message in question comes up.

Yet, the update process itself is performed on your site's side. That's why the plugin was actually able to update.

You cannot currently force The Hub to re-check site against plugin status but it should eventually update itself (I mean, information about updated/needing update plugins).

Also, you can update plugins - if update is available - directly from your site by going to "WPMU DEV -> Plugins" page. If an update is available, a notification next to "WPMU DEV -> Plugins" menu item show up and plugin to update are shown on top of that page (colored yellow). After such plugin The Hub should also show current (up to date) site update status.

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Simon

Hi Adam,

When the upgrade request initiated from Hub, the logs shows the POST request to /ecom/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php as below
    ==========================================================
    1.186.138.194 - - [19/Apr/2016:08:47:18 -0500] "GET /ecom/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=updraft_ajax&subaction=activejobs_list&nonce=7539195a3b&downloaders= HTTP/1.1" 200 62 "http://seemydemosite.com/ecom/wp-admin/plugins.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0"
    1.186.138.194 - - [19/Apr/2016:08:47:26 -0500] "GET /ecom/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=updraft_ajax&subaction=activejobs_list&nonce=7539195a3b&downloaders= HTTP/1.1" 200 62 "http://seemydemosite.com/ecom/wp-admin/plugins.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0"
    1.186.138.194 - - [19/Apr/2016:08:47:33 -0500] "GET /ecom/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=updraft_ajax&subaction=activejobs_list&nonce=7539195a3b&downloaders= HTTP/1.1" 200 62 "http://seemydemosite.com/ecom/wp-admin/plugins.php" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0"
    ==========================================================

IT is showing our IP address instead of the premium.wpmudev.org IP address for the POST requests. is this correct?

just checking the possibilities.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey David!

IT is showing our IP address instead of the premium.wpmudev.org IP address for the POST requests. is this correct?

In my opinion this are actually "internal" GET requests made after the initial POST from us triggered an update and this would be correct behavior.

As for issue itself. The information that I previously passed to you (in this post) comes directly from our CTO. I asked him for an advice on this and after reading your question he explained that this way. My point is that developers already know about this and although it's not considered a bug so far and I'm not able to provide you with any ETA on a possible fix - they are aware of the issue so hopefully they'll be able to optimize the communication protocol/workflow :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Simon

I'm still not able to update any of my sites on my dedicated server from the wpmdev portal. I keep getting the pop up "We did not get a response from your site yet."

I can update client sites that are not on my server who are other shared servers. I just contacted my support and they said the following.

We can also see that representatives of WPMU DEV recognized the problem with communication protocols on their side and informed you that this situation is being fixed.
    Considering all these nuances we would like to confirm that it is better to continue a resolution of this case with WPMU DEV directly.

Can you provide any answers. I would love to be able to use the new updated version of WPMU DEV plugin.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David!

I'm really sorry to hear that. I assumed that it's now working fine for you as I haven't heard from you since my last post here.

We are still referring to your "seemydemosite" site and nothing has changed since you originally posted, is that correct? Or did it work for some time (I see that this site seems to be up to date) and then stopped again?

Let me also know please if you are using a dedicated or shared IP for that site currently, what host are you using and if there's any CDN implemented.

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Simon

I'm referring to all my sites. I have to login to update them. I have a dedicated server with a dedicated IP 199.116.254.155 I'm using GVO hosting I have the Level 3
    http://about.gogvo.com/dedicated-server-hosting.php
    No CDN implemented currently.

My support responded with... Please be advised that in case if the WPMU DEV will require changes in configuration on the server side (and if you will not be fully able to complete instructions that they might provide), we would be able to assist with this problematic issue.

• Dimitris

Hey there David Simon,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in! :slight_smile:

As this is a rather old thread (even our Hub service has been updated since you first posted this thread), could you please grant us with support access in a website under this dedicated server? You can find detailed information about it here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Is there any recent debug information after trying to update your plugins through Hub? Could you please access these and share them with us? You can always use a 3rd party service like Dropbox and post the shareable link here in your next reply.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David!

I just checked the site configuration again and also tested it to see if there are no redirects or other unusual behaviors when accessed from "outside". Both this aspects seem fine.

With that in mind I had another conversation with developers and the issue seems still to be the "timeout" that I mentioned before. The Hub is "quitting" on communication if it's not able to get a response from site in 25 seconds. The message that you are getting is triggered by CURL that's reporting the timeout.

This is quite puzzling because when I tried to access your site (though a homepage and not any specific "inside URL") with CURL from both my local linux box and using an online CURL tool, I got proper responses (HTTP "200 OK") in time.

Furthermore, the fact that on other host (shared) you are able to perform updates, makes me think even more that this is related to that specific server.

That said, some further debugging would be necessary. Since it's a dedicated server I believe you got an access to server access/error logs (I'm referring here to server logs, not WP debugging log). Could you please:

- check these logs against any statuses with 499 HTTP status (means "499 client closed request")

- scan these logs for any lines that include "wdpupdate" string?

You could use the "grep" tool for this if you are on Linux and logs are huge.

Let me please know what have you found.

Please also run one more test from "The Hub": try a single plugin update and try a "bulk" update of the site and see if only one of them (which one) or both give you the "We did not get..." message.

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Simon

They ran some test see below. As for the firewall they have it on their shared servers and its not an issue.

We checked HTTP logs for 499 and wdpupdate
    grep -r " 499 " /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ | grep -v "bytes_log"
    grep -r " 499 " /usr/local/apache/logs/
    grep -r "wdpupdate" /usr/local/apache/
    We can not find any logs with this content.
    If you want we can disable firewall maybe firewall block some connections.

• Dimitris

Hey there David Simon,

hope you're doing good today and thanks for providing us these latest insights. :slight_smile:

If you want we can disable firewall maybe firewall block some connections.

This would be awesome! Feel free to ask your hosting support staff to do so and retest your Hub connection afterwards.

About this comment from the previous reply of my colleague Adam:

Please also run one more test from "The Hub": try a single plugin update and try a "bulk" update of the site and see if only one of them (which one) or both give you the "We did not get..." message.

Did you try to these two different approaches? A "single" and a "bulk" update? Are there any results on this?
    i remind you that you can always download a plugin's previous version in order to test that out. You don't have to activate it, simply download a previous version and install it.
    Here's where you can locate the changelog with all previous releases.

I look forward for your results, take care
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David!

I'm not sure how to bulk update. The only thing I see is Update Everything and I don't want to do that.

This is the "bulk" option that I was referring to but I can understand why you'd rather not do this. Let's for now stick to firewall test and see if that gets us anywhere near the core of the issue.

Disabling firewall wouldn't rather put your site at a significant risk immediately but in a long run it indeed means lowering site's security. If it is possible to disable the firewall I would give it a try by disabling it just temporarily:

- disable
    - check if this solves the issue
    - enable back

This would let us find out whether firewall is indeed blocking this or not. If it was, we would know what direction to head on and most likely just changing firewalls configuration slightly would help without risking the security of the site :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello David!

Thank you for your replay.

I must admit that I kind of hoped that it would be the firewall after all because I'm starting to get out of ideas :slight_frown: This is getting quite strange as in all similar cases that I ever came across what we have tried here usually helped.

A good think is that your host is willing to help you with this as well and that they want to run more tests. I think it's a good idea to let them do this because they may be able to spot something that we cant. I mean: it may still turn out that the issue is on our side instead of yours but their insight may help us identify this.

I'd let them do this tests but I suppose they would need to get full access to your site and also to your WPMU DEV account so it's just a matter of trust. If you trust them enough, I would let them do the tests (a side note: we specifically prohibit sharing WPMU DEV account with 3rd-parties but this is a bit different and fully justified case).

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Simon

This was there reply...

We are able to install plugins from your dashboard and from remote site which means its related to something else. Can you ask the plugins developers what is required for remote connection on server or which module is missed as we are not getting anything in error logs. As you are a premium member there you can ask their support about this problem. We did everything on our end but we are not getting anything in logs.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Could we try one more thing here, can you send me your WP admin login details so I could try connecting my WPMU DEV account and perform update after that?
    You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login url
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Link back to this thread for reference

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David Simon

Just sent the details you requested.

Also hosting support just sent me the following details.
    We rebuilded web-server with default modules but this is not solved the issue.
    We checked .htaccess files of your sites and could not find any issues too.
    When We press button update (plugin) https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/my-websites/#dash2-modal-add-website and checking access logs, We do not see any queries (POST/GET)

Please ask support of WPMU to make one more time Curl to your site.
    We apology but for now We still can not understand how to solve the issue from our side.
    We will wait for updates from you about this issue and will try to help to solve the issue.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Thanks for sending in your details, I was about to disconnect your WPMU account and connect my own but before that I just wanted to run the update process one more time and HB updated without any issues.... So I went and tried updating WPMU DEV Dashboard as well, again no issues whatsoever and update was performed normally.

Can you tell me which browser are you using and if you have any extensions/add-ons installed on that browser?

Since everything seems ok now and all the plugins are up to date can you let us know if you're still having issues after one of the plugins you use has new release?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David Simon

I tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari all have extensions and add-ons. I also tried on both my iMac and PC. All with the same results. I can update sites NOT on my server using the WPMU dashboard, but not the sites on my server.

I'll send you another one of my sites on my server with login details that has plugins to update. If you're able to update via the dashboard it has to be something with my computers.

Also, I have the notify me by email checked but I never get the notification. I do check my spam folder.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Thanks for sending those in, I had tried that site as well and again had no issues, you can check the video that I will include in my response to your email.

I'm using Chrome on Mac so that shouldn't be the issue...
    Which add-ons do you have installed on your browsers?

Also, I have the notify me by email checked but I never get the notification. I do check my spam folder.

That's strange, I'm subscribed to this thread and get emails normally.
    Is this happening only with this thread or others as well?
    Could you start new thread with this issue so we can investigate it further?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.