We have a domain (www.outsmartallergy.com) and have done

Hi,

We have a domain (www.outsmartallergy.com) and have done the WP install on the outsmartallergy.com/blog directory. This means that currently the actual site (Upfront Fixer) sits on the /blog and that there is nothing on the .com.
We would like to fix this. Our understanding is that they are 2 ways to do it:
1. Redirect the .com to the com/blog
2. Scratch the current instal (there is nothing on our website yet besides plugins) and resinstall on .com.

So my first question is which is best?
We have tried the 'obvious' solution of just moving the directory back to the .com but of course it messes up the index file etc... and started displaying for the old .com content and the Fixer theme...

Second, we are trying to think of all the requirements before we change anything and have another question around language management.

We need the site to be totally bilingual (French/English), offering the user the choice or possibly suggesting it based on ip, cookies etc.
The content should be 90% similar across both versions so our understanding is that a domain approach (ie fr.outsmartallergy and en.outsmartallergy) is not suitable as it will requires 2 WP install and replicating any changes from one to another.
We are thus looking into a outsmartallergy.com/fr outsmartallergy.com/ en solutions.

My ask : Is that a good solution and if yes, what multilingual plug in do you recommend? Is this plug in able to manage other key plug ins like CoursepressPro, a paiement system etc...(ie it needs to help us produce 2 versions of everything) and can you recommend a free one as well as a paying one?

I think I have covered all the questions so far.

Thanks for your help.

Alexia

From what we know, it is less time intens

• Ash

Hello @Alexia

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

We would like to fix this. Our understanding is that they are 2 ways to do it:
    1. Redirect the .com to the com/blog
    2. Scratch the current instal (there is nothing on our website yet besides plugins) and resinstall on .com.

If you don't have any plan to host another website in the root of .com, then I think it's better to reinstall on .com. Yes, you can move later on but sometimes, wordpress URL changing is a pain and it creates some problem.

There are lots of multilingual plugin for WordPress, but the best one is WPML: https://wpml.org/ It has lots of features, and I think you can make lang1.domain.com , lang2.domain.com using this plugin.

You can also try:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/multilingual-press/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/mqtranslate/

Most of the plugins are able to translate 99% of your site content, though it's not automatic - you have to add the translations. There could be some problem in translating dynamic content from some plugins, but there should be some hack too :slight_smile:

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.