We would like to create a pay per view website possibly

Hi,

We would like to create a pay per view website possibly using your plugin, but we're not sure about the nuts and bolts of how it works.

Our question is - where do we upload the videos to so that people can't watch for free.

Any other tidbits of help provided are appreciated

Thanks

• xonuox

@ Dixon,

Thank you for your great question. You may want to take a look at the Membership plugin. If you have videos that you are wanting only paid members to view (or for that matter.....any content), then you can upload them anywhere onto your site where you would like them to be viewed and then simply use the membership plugin to define that area of the site as membership controlled.

You can create a homepage that welcomes your visitors, a link to a sample video, but restrict all other content until the visitor becomes a qualified member.

Looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Dixon,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I would also recommend the Membership plugin like @xonuox https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/ :slight_smile:

You'd upload via wp-admin > media > add new, add them to the page you want and then you can protect that page within membership.

Alternatively if you are using Pay Per View, you do it in the same with the uploading and adding them to a page, then you use the green selector tool on the wysiwyg editor and then that protects the content using shortcodes.

Any issues, we're here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Kingdom Studios

Hey Dixon!

It may be easier for you to get over the hurdle of the name of the plugin and setup as a "member site" if you think of it as the user becoming a member of the video page, and not your whole website.

You would attach your video to a specific page of your site and allow people to signup for that page. You are just using the "membership site" features to accomplish it.

I hope that helps.

Martin

• Mr. Goodfellow

In the past I have used VLC to record and stream video and it is the best way but requires a lot of configuration and yes, you would need a server to host your video files. I have recently setup an account on Livestream to see if it is a good option. It looks like the free version only allows up to 50 viewers but its still a nice option. I have also looked at twitch for video streaming as well.

What I want to do is stream video from my VJ console to my website for regular weekend broadcasts. I want the video recorded and archived each time. That is why a customer VLC solution with VPS seems like the best options.

• Mr. Goodfellow

I use VLC this is the method:
    https://wiki.videolan.org/Simple_Stream_VLC_to_Website/

Create a file on your server named:

whateveryouwant.asx

Containing this:

<ASX version ="3.0">
    <TITLE>StreamName</TITLE>
    <ENTRY>
    <REF HREF="http://your.public.ip.address:8080" />
    </ENTRY>
    </ASX>

Then add this to your page where you want to embed video (secured through membership plugin)

<embed src="whateveryouwant.asx” height=”370” width=”400">

Make sure you have port-forwarding enabled and working on your router so the server can access the device. Do this on whatever port you want to use for the video stream (8080 by default)

Then, when running VLC you can stream live to the page by running VLC with screen or video capture on your host device.

To do this open VLC select Media > Stream

Select Capture Device and then select either your webcam or screen capture

Click stream, leave the source to what it was set to (for direct show "dshow://")

Click Next and your are now at the "Destination Select" Screen
    From here you will want to do 2 things. You will want to stream to http and also save a local file so that you can later upload the saved video.
    To do this, add both HTTP and FILE as a destination

Add HTTP set the port to what it was before (8080 by default) and leave Path blank

Add File and select the file destination to save a copy of the stream locally.

Click next, make sure activate transcoding is selected and select video profile of Video WMV + WMA (ASF)

Click next. You can use a custom generated output screen found here:
    https://wiki.videolan.org/Simple_Stream_VLC_to_Website/

or customize your own settings.

Once you are done make sure all your firewall ports are open and you should be able to stream your desktop and save a copy on your local disc for upload after the broadcast.

To upload the broadcast content you will want to look into saving it in a streamable format, you may want to do some video conversion. VLC is my favorite solution for this and can easily be used to automate this process.

• Mr. Goodfellow

Do you want customers to stream video online or download video to their desktop, or both?

Take a look at this article here about video formats:
    http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/11/08/internet-video-formats-which-is-best-for-video-marketing-a-spn-exclusive-article/

VLC is very flexible for saving files in a wide array of formats as long as you have the video codec
    Flash is by far the most popular format for video players and used by YouTube video player.
    I have seen methods where the video is uploaded in a number of formats to improve compatibility issues (prevents forcing people to have flash installed)
    I try to avoid forcing users to use flash at any time and keep everything html5 compliant.

Personally I think .mp4 is probably the best and most universal format.
    If you are charging your customers you might want to consider allowing them download options for different formats like mov and avi.

If you only want users to view videos online I would recommend using a javascript based video player like
    http://www.videojs.com/

Once you have your video files for the site you can embed the player in a page that is protected by the Membership plugin. That requires users to register to view that page and in turn access the video player.

Keep in mind that using a 3rd party video host may not keep your content protected. Having protected YouTube videos is pointless as these videos can be viewed publicly on YouTube.

If you are serious about selling protected video content and insist on doing it yourself keep in mind that this is a very bandwidth intense process if you are HD video streaming. Make sure your server can handle the amount of bandwidth. I would recommend having a dedicated machine separate from your web server to handle the video. This machine could then be fine-tuned to host video content smoothly and stream it to your clients. Also keep in mind as you scale up in users you also scale up bandwidth and server use. Just something to keep in mind when hosting and streaming your own protected video content.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.