website crashes evey time

I have a wordpress website witch uses COursepress pro plugin. I hired somone to edite the theme for me. and now I have problem.
if the website has 5 visitors and they are all active at the same time. the website will crash as shown in the attaced image. I asked the developer he said his work is ok but the problem from the server, I checked with godaddy but they just said your website has huge traffic! and you need to have seperate server. I checked my website analytics and I found that maximum number attending my website at one time was 100 but almost every day there are tow, three or maybe no one at all. I dont know from where this high traffic going to server is coming from ? so Can any one help me as this is annoying to me and its making me losing visitors and potential customres.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Abdulrahman,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Have you tried using default CP theme or even default WP theme on your site so you can be sure that the issue is not coming from your custom theme?

This issue can also be related to caching so I would suggest trying to clear up your server cache and see if the issue is still there.

In the end if nothing helps and GoDaddy says that the "high" traffic is an issue you might need to go to higher hosting package or change your hosting provider :slight_frown:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Abdulrahman

I try to change the theme but the problem still exist.

This issue can also be related to caching so I would suggest trying to clear up your server cache and see if the issue is still there.

how can I clear the server catch!

In the end if nothing helps and GoDaddy says that the "high" traffic is an issue you might need to go to higher hosting package or change your hosting provider

I guess I need to change the hosting provider because I am already at the higher plan, after that I can only have virtual server. but I don't have high traffic until now!.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Abdulrahman!

Would you mind if I took a look at your site? I would have to access it for this so you could grant me a support access by following this guide:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I'm not promising any solution yet but I'd like to review the site and its settings to see if I could find any way to improve its performance to help with the issue.

Let me know here when you're ready please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Abdulrahman!

Thanks for granting access. I checked the site and I think there's a few things worth giving a try so let's start with basics :slight_smile:

First, please add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your WordPress install:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

This line should be placed above the "/*That's all, stop editing!*/" line and will let your site use up to 256M of available server memory while it's currently using only 40M which is way too little with the plugin that you got installed.

Once this is done please make sure that all your plugins are up to date. I can see that some of them, including ours, already got updates available and I can tell from experience that often updates include stability/performance improvements so keeping your WordPress install in a top-shape (that meaning especially keeping it up to date) is one of the most important admin tasks :slight_smile:

After that see if there's any improvement in performance (if the issue disappeared or at least happens less often) and let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Abdulrahman

Can I go higher than 256 ?

First, please add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your WordPress install:

Ok I just done this step thank you :slight_smile:

make sure that all your plugins are up to date.

I can update all plugins but because the developer of the website told me not to do it or it will ruin my theme. as some times updates changes some setups and I ignored him once but that what happened.

I will update it now and I wish every thing will go smooth .
    Thank you and I will let you know if the problem continued.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Abdulrahman!

Please don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to sound "rude" but if the developer told you not to update plugins because they'll break the theme, I would suggest... replacing the developer with the professional one. None of the theme should be built the way that prevents you from updating plugins and no professional WP developer would tell you anything like that :slight_smile:

Yes, it may happen that an update will cause some conflict or "break" the site but that's when the developer of either the plugin that's causing this or the theme that got broken (depending on a case) should get back to work and find a solution.

Getting back to the issue: from what I could see on your site, you could go with raising memory limit up to 512M because that's the upper limit available for your PHP instance. You could surely set it even hire but in case WordPress limit is higher than the PHP limit on the server, that PHP limit will take effect.

For example:
    - with PHP limit set to 512M and WordPress limit set to 256M your site will be allowed to use up to 256M
    - with PHP limit set to 512M and WordPress limit set to 1024M your site will be allowed to use up to 512M.

That said, since you already raised the limit and updated plugins, please observe the site and let me know if the issue went away or happens less often or if that didn't help. I'll investigate this further if necessary.

Best regards,
    Adam