Website Load speed / General Performance ?

Hi,
I need some help with improving site speed & General Performance.
i receive a performance report but not quite sure what to make of it and how to start fixing these things, im hoping you guys might be able to decipher it for me? and help me resolve some of these issues?

Sorry security/ precautions might be over the top, but i dont want to risk anything. (also have had some issues with Google indexing brand name / link / images in the past which is really annoying.

Due to brand name / link being in the report i have ziped file and password protected it. It will autoexpire in few days
3\g^s]#)3T]j%ae
file accessible here - http://goo.gl/7PFmJJ

Support access is ACTIVE until July 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks
Tom

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Tom,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I've downloaded the report and read it through. I can say that these are mostly the usual tips that are given in the similar form to most of the site owners by publicly available tools. This of course doesn't mean that this tips are worthless! On the contrary, it worth getting them to work.

Let's then get to details.

1. About "404 errors":

- double check that all the images/files attached to your posts/pages do really exist
    - make sure that the theme you're using is absolutely up-to-date and all its files are in place (if it's been modified)
    - create a new XML sitemap for your site (any SEO plugin will let you do it)

2. Minimizing css/js resources, leveraging browser caching

This is usually done by installing the caching plugin. I think most popular is W3 Total Cache that you can get from here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/

It should take care of most of these issues.

WordFence Security plugin also includes a good caching engine and additionaly provides a high level of security for your WordPress site.

If you decide to go with this one, you may also want to install WP Super Minify to handle js/css minifying.

3. Image optimization

I highly recommend our WP Smush Pro plugin for this. Please take a look here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/

Having said all that, I think that you may want to start with these three steps and then re-run performance test. Aforementioned plugins should deal with most of the issues, however this partially depends on other plugins that you're using, your current theme and the server the site's placed on.

Re-running tests after above changes are made will let us find what else (and how) should be tweaked. Please note though, that there are some things that not much can be done about. For example: changing the order of the JS scripts or CSS stylesheets would require some custom development job.

That said, please give my tips a try and let me know the results of repeated tests.

Have a nice day!
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Tom!

I've just read your new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/issue-with-missing-resource-maybe-to-do-with-new-child-theme

I let myself closing it as it is strictly related to this one and it would be easier for me to continue here. Of course my colleagues will still be able to join the conversation :slight_smile:

As for these missing resources, some of them are the same as stated in the previous report. Other might be a result of either the child theme (as you suggested) or there's some additional configuration needed.

That being said, I've run pingdom test again, accessed your site again and it seems that the missing (inaccessible) files is indeed "child theme related" issue. I'm not able though to change anything related to your child theme via our WPMU DEV support access as

- I don't have a full access to the files on your server
    - in case anything goes wrong I wouldn't be able to access a site again and repair it.

In order to further investigate the issue, I'd need to take a closer look by accessing your dashboard and server directly. That being said, would it be possible that you send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- your site's WordPress admin login URL
    - admin login and password (may be a temporary account)
    - FTP credentials (hostname, username, password, port number if needed)
    - any other relevant URLs and information
    - link back to this thread

Please use our contact form here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/.
    Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down list.

Please be sure to make a full backup of your entire site first!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Tom,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your e-mail.

I took a look at your site and made a few improvements. Here's what I've come up

1. I've corrected your child theme's style.css file:

Entire stylesheet header (theme header) should be included as a comment, between "/*" and "*/".

2. I've found out what's causing "missing styles" issues and corrected it. Unfortunately, this wasn't exactly child theme related. It turned out that the parent theme was using "get_stylesheet_directory_uri()" function to enqueue styles. Unlike "get_template_directory_uri()" it doesn't look for parent theme.

This means that once called by child theme it couldn't find the file (it was looking in child directory). That said I had to make a slight change:

- in parent theme's functions.php I commented out "my_style.css" and "codemirror.css" wp_enqueue_style functions
    - I've added them to child theme's functions.php file but using "get_template_directory_uri()" instead of "get_stylesheet_directory_uri()"

3. It turned out that my_style.css is additionally added by some kind of "pseudo-plugin": it was included with php directly from parent theme's functions.php file; I had to remove this inclusion because otherwise child theme tried to include non-existent file one more time

4. I have disabled "Live traffic" logging in Wordfence settings (on "Wordfence" -> "Options" page) as it doesn't really help that much but significantly slows down site's loading time

5. I disabled current caching (just switched off the case) and enabled basic Wordfence cache (do NOT use "Falcon cache" from Wordfence, please).

It seems that I managed to get rid of these "non-existent files" calls and speed up entire site a bit (of course cache may have to build-up).

Current pingdom test result (for my location):

- Amsterdam, Netherlands: performance grade 82/100, load time: 2.79s
    - Stockholm, Sweden: performance grade 82/100, load time: 2.78s
    - New Your City, USA: performance grade 82/100, load time: 4.25s

I think this is not that bad now.

As for changes I made. All the original files are backed up in their original locations with "ORG" suffix so you can easily bring them back.

That said, please run your own test and let me know of the results.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Tom

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for the help, i can already notice a huge difference in the page loading. I need to update the original parent theme soon. So that i dont loose any of the modifications you just made nor any of the other Custom CSS changes done previously, whats the best way to update them without loosing the changes? there is already the Child Theme in place, however if i update i would prob need to re-add some of these changes to the parent theme ? (also in future when theme original parent theme needs an update how can i ensure that the changes are kept?

Are there perhaps some files that i can download through the FTP and replace them after the update is complete that will keep the modifications?

Thanks

Tom

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Tom!

I'm glad I could help, that's great that your site's now much faster :slight_smile:

As for changes that I made.

1. Configuration

This shouldn't change upon updates but you may wan't to note down what I did just for future reference:

I have disabled "Live traffic" logging in Wordfence settings (on "Wordfence" -> "Options" page) as it doesn't really help that much but significantly slows down site's loading time

I disabled current caching (just switched off the case) and enabled basic Wordfence cache (do NOT use "Falcon cache" from Wordfence, please).

2. Child theme

Original themes of your child themes are still on your server, I just added "ORG" suffix to their names. If you are about to work on your child theme then just leave my files there and you may safely edit them. Parent theme's update won't do any harm to them :slight_smile:

These files are: functions.php and style.css in your child theme's folder

3. Parent theme

Unfortunately I had to edit it, as there was no other way to overcome the limitations of used function. It seems like the developers of the theme just didn't thought of possibility of child theme creation.

This means however that these changes most likely will be lost on update. In such case:

in parent theme's functions.php find these lines (around line 149):

wp_enqueue_style( 'fitcoach-mystyle', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/inc/my_style.css', array(), false, false );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'fitcoach-codemirror', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/css/codemirror.css', array(), '1.0' );

and comment it out like this:

//wp_enqueue_style( 'fitcoach-mystyle', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/inc/my_style.css', array(), false, false );
    	//wp_enqueue_style( 'fitcoach-codemirror', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/css/codemirror.css', array(), '1.0' );

In the same file around line 202 find this line and comment it out as well

require get_template_directory() . '/inc/my-custom-css.php';

This way you should be able to keep the current config.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.