Website Name Appended to Page Titles

Hi,

With Infinite SEO we have an issue on page titles that are generated by our theme. For example, on the "About Us" page, there is a decorative page title that says..."About Us". However, the SEO plugin appends the site name to this title.

An example is here:

http://www.powermaxcarpetcleaning.com/about-us.html

Right above "Serving the Cleveland area for 22 years"...that should only say "About Us". Instead it is inheriting the SEO page title.

With AIOSEOP this doesn't happen, but we'd prefer to use Infinite SEO.

Another issue, for some reason breadcrumbs are appearing at the top of each page, which didn't happen before changing SEO plugins.

Thanks,

Mark

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Mark (@wpcdn)

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question, most likely you have in your settings for it to append the site title at the end of the page title.

Could you post a screenshot of the Infinite SEO settings for me to take a look at please?

With regards to the breadcrumbs did you only want them to show on certain pages or not at all?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• wpcdn

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I can post a screenshot, however I didn't change any of the settings (title or otherwise), I'm just using the defaults.

However, I have the feeling that it's not a settings issue, it's an issue with the plugin taking control of more than it should. I say this because:

1) The settings appear right in terms of the true SEO title, e.g., what appears in the browser title bar. That title should say "About Us | PowerMax Carpet Cleaning".

2) The decorative page header has never had the website name in it before, with any other SEO plugin. (I have previously used AIOSEOP and FV Simpler SEO.) So that tells me that the theme is coded properly and is not just pulling in the full-fledged SEO title there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Mark (@wpcdn)

I hope you are well today. Sorry for the delay with this.
    I've been speaking with the plugin developer today, and I'm afraid at this moment in time it is not possible to overwrite the title at all, unless done in the post/page editior it's self where you can define the title.

The thread in question is this one https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/possible-to-prevent-title-rewrite-for-page-templates-without-wp_title-or-get_the_title?replies=16#post-414051

2: With the breadcrumbs issue, I'm presuming you don't have them turned on, yet they are still showing? Does your theme show breadcrumbs by default?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• wpcdn

Hi,

I think there might be a misunderstanding. I don't want the plugin to overwrite the theme's title (which should just show the page name or post name). However, the SEO plugin is overwriting this in addition to overwriting the true page title (at the top of the browser bar). Other SEO plugins do not do this. For example, with AIOSEOP:

Browser title is: About Us | PowerMax Carpet Cleaning
    Title shown on page is: About Us

With Infinite SEO:

Browser title is: About Us | PowerMax Carpet Cleaning
    Title shown on page is: About Us | PowerMax Carpet Cleaning

So the Infinite SEO plugin is overwriting something it shouldn't be overwriting.

I know that I can specify the page title in the SEO metabox, but that is not the solution either. If I change that to "About Us", it also changes the title in the web browser, which is not what we want for SEO reasons. The problem is that the SEO plugin modified two things when it should only modify one.

As for breadcrumbs, the theme is not configured for them. They only started appearing after installing the Infinite SEO plugin.

Thanks,

Mark

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Mark,

Sorry for the delay, I hope your well today.

It does indeed appear that there was a misunderstanding here.

If I understand this right, Infinite SEO is overwriting both the page title which shows in the browser bar and the way the theme does the title. correct? Which theme are you using?

Thank you and again sorry for the delay on this, with regards to the breadcrumbs, I will seek the lead developer to provide his valuable input this.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.