Website Slow to load – HTTP issues>?

I have a multisite installation: http://www.theholler.org

The main site is taking an extremely long time to load but the other two sites on the server load right up: learn.theholler.org and petll.theholler.org

I really need to figure out what is happening and fix it. The back end is running extremely slow as well.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @bruceparsons, Michael here! :slight_smile:

Questions on my mind here:

– When did this start to happen on your main site, was there a particular change made around that time? A plugin got installed/updated, perhaps?

– If you were to do a soft deactivation of the plugins for your Multisite, as we mention over at the bottom of our Getting Support page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Does that result in the home page speeding up here? Also, what if the theme were switched to a default theme temporarily (e.g. Twenty Fifteen), does that help performance?

We’re really going to need to narrow things down, and see if there’s a particular culprit here.

Please advise,

Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Roger that, thanks for letting us know here! :slight_smile:

rtMedia’s support may have already asked this, but if you haven’t already, could you try inserting this into your site’s wp-config.php, to increase the amount of memory allocated to WordPress:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Never hurts to have that in there anyhow, some installs have the memory allocation set to too low of a value, which can cause issues elsewhere.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• Bruce
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

That seemed to have helped a little. It’s an odd error happening on the site. Every time you try to load the page it pauses with nothing on the screen for 5-10 seconds and then suddenly everything will load at once. I’m guessing it’s something with having so many plugins activated? I would love to fix the lag.

• Bruce

No, I'm still working on it. When you attempt to load the site it doesn't do anything for about 5-7 seconds and then finally everything loads at once. The other sites on the multi-network load instantly, so it's only the main site that's having the problem. The main site is also the most robust so I know that is part of it but the load time just takes way too long and I also get SERVICE UNAVAILABLE pages on a regular basis. The subdomain sites do not have this problem either.

main site: http://www.theholler.org

subdomain: petll.theholler.org

subdomain. learn.theholler.org

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey Bruce, Michael here!

I’m seeing that all of the sites mentioned so far (your main site, and the two subsites you mentioned) are all giving me “Holler Errors”, looks like you’ve got a 500 Internal Server page of your own up there.

Did you make a change on the site not too long ago? Or is there something else afoot?

I’d advise contacting your hosting provider about this (unless that’s been done already).

Please advise,

Michael

• Bruce

No, the site has been doing this for some time. When I get more than 40 people on the site, the load balancer starts loading the error page for all sites.

If you check it again now it will hopefully work. I really need to find a solution for this and any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

This is from my host report:

Analyzing apache memory use…

[ INFO ] httpd is currently using 1559.85 MB of memory.

[ INFO ] The smallest apache process is using 80.47 MB of memory

[ INFO ] The average apache process is using 144.26 MB of memory

[ INFO ] The largest apache process is using 211.72 MB of memory

Results…

[ OK ] Going by the average Apache process, Apache can potentially use 6924.48 MB RAM:

Without considering services: 88.34 % of total installed RAM

Considering extra services: 88.34 % of remaining RAM

[ CRITICAL ] Going by the largest Apache process, Apache can potentially use 10162.56 MB RAM:

Without considering services: 129.65 % of total installed RAM

Considering extra services: 129.65 % of remaining RAM

Generating reports…

### GENERAL FINDINGS & RECOMMENDATIONS ###

Apache2buddy.pl report for server: cloud-server-03 (104.130.206.76):

Settings considered for this report:

Your server’s physical RAM: 7839 MB

Remaining Memory after other services considered: 7839 MB

Apache’s MaxClients directive: 48 <

Current Setting

Apache MPM Model: prefork

Largest Apache process (by memory): 211 MB

[ !! ] Your MaxClients setting is too high.

Your recommended MaxClients setting is between 33 and 37. <

Acceptable Range (10% of MAX)

Max potential memory usage: 10162 MB

Percentage of TOTAL RAM allocated to Apache: 129.65 %

Percentage of REMAINING RAM allocated to Apache: 129.65 %

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @bruceparsons,

Okay, it sounds like we’re in the realm of server tuning here. How much control do you have over this server, in terms of configuration?

WordPress is more my realm (rather than servers), but given that the report mentions this:

Apache’s MaxClients directive: 48 <

Current Setting

And this:

[ !! ] Your MaxClients setting is too high.

Your recommended MaxClients setting is between 33 and 37. <

Acceptable Range (10% of MAX)

I’d figure that you’d want to try lowering it to 33, or asking the ones responsible for changing Apache’s configuration to lower that for you.

If you’re able to modify it, you should find this article to be of use:

https://fuscata.com/kb/set-maxclients-apache-prefork

Kind Regards,

Michael

• Bruce

I think I got to the bottom of it. At one point I had a caching plugin enabled and then I deleted it. From that point the site was having issues. I only used it on the main site and not the subdomains. Today I re-enabled the cache and tuned it to the pages I needed it most and the site is back to being fast and responsive and no more waiting. It seems the cache plugin had left some remnants behind and that was causing the load.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.