Websites look like they broke

When I open my site it needs a very long time and I can see that the handshake with the wpmucdn server took a long time.

Can you please check the side and figure out what went wrong? Maybe it has to do something with your plug-ins?

Best regards
Oliver

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Oliver

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have checked the site that you assigned to this ticket from my end and it looks like the longest "delay" is on an initial request, for a TTFB ("Time To First Byte") being over 2 seconds.

Then there's a set of optimized assets loaded, most of them taking between around 55 - 200 ms to load, though they do seem to load in parallel, which is fine. However, that's just an initial observation that doesn't lead me to any useful conclusions yet, I'm afraid. Because of that I would like to take a closer look at your setup to be able to better diagnose the case and look for solution.

To let me do this, please enable support access to the site by going to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page and clicking on "Grant support access" button there. Let me know here when it's enabled, please, and I'll check the site again to investigate that.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Oliver

Thanks for your response.

It seems that access is enabled only for one of the sites (de) but I assume that others are also on the same server and are using similar (or the same) configuration.

I checked the "de..." site and the configuration seems quite good, apart from two things which I'll get to below. I also run some additional tests from outside from different locations and noticed that while the load time seems to significantly differ for different "test end points", there are actually only two major "optimization issues" reported:

1) it's suggested to "combine external CSS" - but you really can't do much about it because it's, well, external; that means that you don't have access to it. An example of such CSS may be e.g. CSS related to Google Web Fonts

2. It's suggested to "combine external JS" - but that's the same case as above; such JS would e.g. be some external JS libraries used by Google Analytics or other tools of that kind that you're using on site.

In my opinion, you can actually safely ignore these two suggestions as they would only improve performance score (which is already pretty nice) but wouldn't affect loading speed or SEO that much.

However, as I mentioned before, there are two things that are definitely worth changing:

1. The site is powered by PHP 5.5.30 and that does affect speed and performance a lot. I suggest switching to 7.x (preferably 7.1.x) and that alone should give the site significant speed boost; furthermore - some plugins may not function fine (or may be perform significantly slower) with that old PHP release. I think that this is the very basic and essential step that should be done.

2. You are not using Page Caching; Our Hummingbird plugin provides Page Caching tool and if you're not making any "development works" on site, I would strongly recommend enabling it; after the cache is built, site should be loading much faster.

Then, there's an issue of site being loaded with very different speeds when tested from different locations in a world. That's pretty normal and expected but the differences here are quite big. I'm not sure about the location and configuration of your hosts infrastructure but the fact that differences are that big usually is related to that. The solution here would be to add up some CDN (e.g. CloudFlare) "on top" of that all. Such CDN takes care of delivering data to an end user from the closest/fastest location for that specific user and even if it doesn't bring significant speed boost for some users, it should surely "equalize" loading speeds so the site would be loaded with a similar speed from most parts of the world.

I think the same should work for the other two sites of yours, as I believe they are very similar to the one I checked. That said, I'd suggest starting with that and it should help a lot or even (I actually suppose it will) solve the issue entirely.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.