Weight not used correctly in USPS module

Maximum weight on small flat rate box is set to 1.4 lbs, but when I put in an order that weighs over 1.4 pounds, both the small and medium flat rate boxes show up.

Also, when I put in an order that is less than 1.4 lbs, both the small and medium flat boxes are displayed. Shouldn't the small flat rate box be the only one that shows up when the package weight is less than 1.4lbs?

You already have full access to the site. (Check with Jude or Kasia for FTP if you need that)

You can test with this 8 oz product:
http://divinationbygeorge.com/home/multi-metal-brasssolid-copper-l-rods-lr510c/

And, this 1.5 pound product:
http://divinationbygeorge.com/home/bearing-balanced-l-rods/

Do you have a comprehensive list of what boxes are available?

I DELETED SMALL FLAT RATE BOX and it still showed up in the selection list at checkout.

MY TESTING indicates that whatever USPS services you select will simply show up - regardless of the boxes listed and their weights.

HOW DO YOU CONTROL "Priority Mail (2-4) days" which is for using your own packaging - which we need for some products.

THE REAL QUESTION IS THIS: If I select first class mail, Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box, and Priority Mail (which is own packaging), how do I control what shows when the customer checks out.

It makes no sense to simply list all of the options checked and expect the customer to know that they can't select Small Flat-Rate Box because the product is too large or too heavy for a flat rate box?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello hostricity,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I took a liberty of visiting your site and I can see that you're currently using "Calculated Rate" for shipping in MarketPress plugin. This means that all available options will be shown if only an item fits in in terms of size and weight: smaller item fits in bigger pack so this choice will be given to the user.

I've tried to ship for items heavier than 1.4lbs that you linked to and wasn't given the "small package" choice - only a Medium Flat which, according to your site's settings, can handle much more weight.

This would mean that it's calculated right but if I'm missing anything here, let me know please. It would be great if you could then explain which boxes should be applied to products of which weight.

Also, you may want to switch to "Weight Rate" instead and give it a try since it seems that most of your products' shipping is based on weight.

Best regards,
    Adam

• hostricity

Please look at these screenshots which show that with one 1.5lb item, "Small Priority Mail" is displayed and with 5 of the same produce - which is now 7.5lbs., "Small Priority Mail" is still shown.

Also, if I put an 8oz product in the cart and checkout, I get both the Small and Medium Priority Mail options. I should only get the Small option.

As for size, the USPS module in MarketPress doesn't handle size. There is no place to enter height, width and length for a product so that the USPS API can use them.

We are using weight as stand-in to force the various package sizes, but we need for customers to be able to choose the speed of delivery (First Class Parcel, Priority Mail, or Express Mail).

Finally, we some products that need to use Priority Mail or Express Mail with our packaging and I see no way to indicate that. In a normal setup, if the product exceeded the size or weight specified for the flat rate packaging, then it would show Priority Mail or Express Mail option (without a specific standard package).

"This means that all available options will be shown if only an item fits in in terms of size and weight: smaller item fits in bigger pack so this choice will be given to the user. " - That makes your USPS module TOTALLY USELESS! I have NEVER seen an eCommerce website which offers 2 sizes of packaging and makes the customer choose. We have a number of eCommerce websites and none of them do that!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @hostricity!

Please take my sincere apologies for the delay on my side!

As for shipping issue. I can see that you've switched your strore to "Weight Rate". I understand that this is not the best option according to your needs but did it helped at least a bit in this situation? Let me know please!

Your explanation from your recent post of course makes total sense and I should have thought of that while I checked your site. I've already directly asked plugin developer for help/advice on this and I'll update you with information immediately once I get response.

Once again, I'm sorry for the delay on my side!

Kind regards,
    Adam

• hostricity

Using Weight-Rate shipping is only a temporary fix. We must have the ability to allow customers to choose between Priority Mail and Express Mail to receive their purchase more quickly.

I have a lot of experience with shipping and would be happy to help out with specifications and testing.

Please also note that there is no option to allow us to offer free shipping over a specified dollar amount or to have free shipping that can be upgraded to Priority Mail or Express Mail.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi hostricity,

Thanks for your offer, our developers will be looking into this issue as soon as possible and we will let you know if we can use some help with testing :slight_smile:

Please also note that there is no option to allow us to offer free shipping over a specified dollar amount or to have free shipping that can be upgraded to Priority Mail or Express Mail.

May I suggest opening new thread in features & feedback section so we can see how popular this request is and our developers can consider adding such feature.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.