Weird link/text icon on page, how to make it disappear?

Hiya,

There seems to be this weird link and text icon left on the page once I had updated it

or have a look at this link, its towards the bottom

http://www.tallaghtsmartgrid.com/wordpress/the-micro-electricity-generation-association-mega-profile/

can you tell me how to get rid of it?

thanks

• jcnjr

Yeah, weird. I don't use Upfront, but I believe it has a front-end editing option you may be able to disable. As a visitor, I shouldn't be seeing that. I'm sure the gurus here will respond with better help soon.

If you need a quick temporary fix, I was able to remove it by editing its display to none...

.upfront-ui.uimage-control-panel {
        position: absolute;
        min-width: 150px;
        z-index: 2001;
        background: #2a465f;
        padding: 5px;
        left: 0px;
        top: 38px;
        text-align: left;
        display: none;
    }

I just couldn't get rid of the "Ok"

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Terri,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I've visited your site and I can see the "weird" addition there. It's a bit different for me but jcnjr is right - it comes from Upfront editor. This should be visible only to admins and only while the Upfront mode is enabled though.

This leads me to a question whether you are using any cache plugins on your site (e.g. W3 Total Cache etc). Also, do you have our WP Hummingbird enabled on your setup?

Please advise. It would also be great if you could grant me a support access so I could take a closer look at it. Here's a brief guide on can this be done:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Terri

Hi Adam,

No I don't have W3 Total Cache or WP Hummingbird installed on our dashboard. I've just granted you another 3 days on the site if you want to take a look around. The link you sent me about granting staff access just led me to info on searching for stuff on forums, but I hope that if I've just granted you access there in the support part of the dashboard, that will work for you?

I have another issue with the same thing on http://www.tallaghtsmartgrid.com/wordpress/inertia-solutions/

the same link/text icon is there again, but also the page has gone wonky in the sense that when I'm in upfront editor, the layout looks the same as all of the other sub pages I've completed, it looks like it should, but then if I preview, the 'BACK and TOP' end up beside the text and the footer icons all change, and that link/text icon shows up again below the page content. So not sure what is causing that either, all other sub-pages look fine when I preview.

Just thought I'd add onto that to see if its a similar issue?

let me know if you can get in to have a look. Many thanks,

Terri

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Terri!

The link I shared with you was fine (I just checked it) but indeed the layout of the page may have caused some confusion as the most "space occupying" part of it is a big header with a search box. I should ask you to scroll the page down so I'm sorry for causing confusion. You did however managed to grant me an access and I was able to review you site :slight_smile:

That said, I'd suggest starting with some basic tweaking. Fixer is a bit more "demanding" Upfront theme in terms of resources and I can see that you server is set to "default" low resources.

1. Please add following line to your "wp-config.php" file:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

This will increase limit of server memory available to WordPress.

2. We'd want to increase some PHP limits as well: script execution time, post maximum size (maximum size of data sent between various parts of WordPress scripts, including Upfront), input time (time allowed for such data transfer). To do this please add following lines to your site's ".htaccess" file at the very beginning:

<IfModule mod_php5.c>
    php_value post_max_size 256M
    php_value max_execution_time 300
    php_value max_input_time 300
    php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 1200
    </IfModule>

Hopefully this will take effect and affect Fixer. Give it a try please and in case it didn't help, let me know (make sure that support access is still granted) and I'll access your site again and check if these tweaks did affect the site as on some servers they don't work and it may be necessary to get in touch with hosting provider's tech staff directly.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Terri

Hi Adam,

Thanks for having a look through and the suggestions above. I meant to get back to you earlier and tell you that I thought I'd try and modify the image in the pages that had seemed to go a bit wonky and appear differently in the preview than in the editor (including the weird link/text icon).

Turns out that it had something to do with adding an image into an already existing text content block and then changing the image's size to less than 'full'. When I did that, the preview page went all out of whack. What I did then was delete the image from the content text block, and just drag and drop a new image in below and fit it in, inbetween the 2 text blocks if you get me. Once I previewed the page, all of that mess-up in the preview disappeared and it looked exactly like what I had modified. So I still don't know why the image within the text blocks causes that, but I've been able to modify it so that the weird stuff disappears.

About your additions to the php and access files - the only place I know to update such files would be in Appearance>Editor with the list of .php files. Unfortunately I don't see either of the files you suggest to change above - would they be somewhere else in the Dashboard? As soon as you let me know I'll work to update them with the info you've given me above.

looking forward to hearing back from you

Terri

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Terri!

It seems that you managed to "workaround" the issue. I think though it still needs fixing "as a whole".

About your additions to the php and access files - the only place I know to update such files would be in Appearance>Editor with the list of .php files. Unfortunately I don't see either of the files you suggest to change above - would they be somewhere else in the Dashboard? As soon as you let me know I'll work to update them with the info you've given me above.

Unfortunately these changes cannot be made via WordPress dashboard. You would need to access your server by FTP and edit files this way. If you do have FTP access but don't know how to do it (or just doesn't feel like taking a risk) I'll be happy to help you with, just let me know. If you do not have FTP access you will however want to ask you host tech staff for help with this.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.