What a drag, I think. One WP install w/ Multisite?

... this is where a picture could probably do this question a lot more justice....

Ok, run through this with me:
I've got one instance of WordPress running multisite. There has to be almost a billion plugins to make all the signup process work (Pro Sites, WP MultiSite, Easy Blogging, WHMCS,....), and then on the end user's side?

Well, for them, I make all types of plugins available (one similar to Hello Bar, pop up, email signup, newsletter, WPMU plugins, yoast, a few from WP.org repository, and a few extended license plugins from Themeforest)... I need to make all these available so they can make their sites pop like they need to!

Most of the end user plugins are available to use if they want, but regardless if they choose to use it or not, it still has to be installed.

Hold your taters for just a sec!

Won't all this hooplah kill the performance? I'm not talking about plugin conflicts or anything like that. (I've actually checked every plugin and every theme against each other).

I just got to uploading all these plugins, looked at my left sidebar, and thought, "Dang that's a LOT of fluff to be carrying around!"

By the time Bubba Pastor or Deacon Dan decided to make a site, their load time is going to be somewhere around a week and a half!

...or am I wrong?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Brad Griffin,

Thank you for the great question and this is dependent upon a few things to include starting at the foundation - the host.

Following the host in importance would be the WordPress install and the theme choice(s) of course.

Lots of php memory and power behind the server and you are all set.

If you are hosting on Go Daddy, Blue Host, Dream Host, and/or Host Monster they all have performance issues and it is certain you will be disappointed.

GD for its round trip MySQL database configuration and the others for known advertised throttling that is a negative but they try to present it as a positive i.e. 15mbs throughput which should indeed be 100mbs

Thank you for asking and for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Brad Griffin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

someone.

please.

translate.

So, if I did indeed grab a VPS w/ GoDaddy, once I saddle my one WP install with all these plugins and 7 themes (for the end user to choose from), I'm hosed?

Did I get that right?

Feel free to tell me now, not after I get a few more miles down the road!

Thanks! -Brad

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there Brad, I hope you're well today!

The recommended solution would be to either use a hosting company that specializes in WordPress Multisite installations (there are quite a few out there...) or grab a VPS and set everything up yourself.
    I don't know much about GoDaddy's VPSs but from personal experience KVM-based VPSs are better that OpenVZ ones and other implementations.
    In case you do decide to grab your own VPS, I would recommend using this tutorial to set things up with Nginx + PHP-FPM + Batcache instead of Apache: http://evansolomon.me/notes/faster-wordpress-multisite-nginx-batcache/

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.