What are the best plugins to use?

I can research and test plugins until my eyes cross @|@! It gets so confusing. The multisite that I'm building will be geared more for the person who needs a website quick and easy. I want to offer a good selection of add on's but not an over-whelming number. I'm looking for the easier ones to set up for the end user. The categories that I have identified to offer in features/plugins are:
Social Media, SEO, Dynamic Content, Marketing, Pricing Tables, Events & Calendars, Downloads, Digital Content and a few misc items to have fun on the website with. While I'm trying to keep the number of plugins down, it keeps growing. So to pinpoint my questions:
1. What plugins have been used for this type of multisite that have proven to be successful and compatible?
2. How many plugins are too many?
3. Will any of the mulitsite owners that have been successful share what works for them (crossing my fingers :grinning:?
Thanks so much for a great community and the help.

• nelnehal

I have a network that uses 38 plugins, the more plugins you have the slower your site will become, unless you configure your servers correctly.

i have been using prosites plugin to manage memberships of websites. for clients, i provide them with addons such as events, googlemaps plugin, marketpress, directory, forums, classifieds. i think i have used almost all the plugins wpmudev has to offer.

• Tom Eagles

@janlfox

Pro sites would allow you to allow people to create blogs and offer the various features and themes based on a level basis.

As mentioned it can slow down sites if on a cheap hosting system.

All of our plugins are category based so if you go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/plugins/

You will see the plugins broken down by category. Marketpress for example allows for digital downloads. Our Events+ will handle events and show a calendar of events.

Cheers

Tom

• Jan

@neinehal - That's what I'm worried about -- slowing down my site. I have identified almost 70 plugins I want to use, 33 of them for site management. A few are redundant and will decide which I want to use and delete other. wpmudev has 138 plugins and then I use themes by iThemes and love some of their plugins.

@Tom - I'm using a lot of wpumdev plugins, love the whole package. Here's the list of plugins that I'm looking at using. Around 33 are for site management alone. Here are the plugins I'm looking at using. I will remove some of the dynamic content plugins but not sure which of the management type plugins I can do without. Still want to add Appointments and Fundraising and a few others from wpmudev. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Accordion
    DisplayBuddy Series - Accordion lets you group items in accordion style via a shortcode or widget

Akismet

Anti-Splog
    The ultimate plugin and service to stop and kill splogs in WordPress Multisite and BuddyPress

Asirra (AVH F.D.A.S Component)
    Protects your comments from spam by adding an Asirra challenge - Asirra is a human interactive proof that asks users to identify photos of cats and dogs.

AVH First Defense Against Spam - WPMU DEV Version
    This plugin gives you the ability to block spammers before content is served.

BackupBuddy
    The most complete WordPress solution for Backup, Restoration, and Migration. Backs up a customizable selection of files, settings, and content for the complete snapshot of your site. Restore and/or migrate your site to a new host or new domain with complete ease-of-mind.

Billboard
    Easy to use Sponsor Ad and linked image management tool.

Blog Activity
    Collects data on how many blogs were updated in the past

Broken Link Checker
    Checks your blog for broken links and missing images and notifies you on the dashboard if any are found.

Builder Block - Events (May switch this to the Events plugin by Incsub)
    This Builder block adds events management to your site.

Builder Block - Restaurant
    This Builder Block adds a number of features to your Builder site that turn it into an easy-to-use resaurant site.

Builder Infinite Scroll - BETA
    This plugin adds the infinite scroll feature provided by Jetpack to Builder.

Carousel
    DisplayBuddy Series - Carousel lets you display a sliding image Carousel.

Custom Content Dashboard Widget
    Easily add a widget full of custom content to user dashboards, great for help and support... or sales messages!

Dashboard Widgets Order
    Easily customize the order of widgets on all of your users dashboards... giving more prominence to the widgets *you* want them to see and use

Default Theme
    Allows you to easily select a new default theme for new blog signups

Download Manager
    Manage, track and control file download from your wordpress site

Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades
    This plugin allows for installed themes to be upgraded by using the Appearance > Add New Themes > Upload feature of WordPress. Without this plugin, themes can only be installed using this method, requiring you to first delete the theme before installing the newer version. Now features the same easy upgrading for plugins via the Plugins > Add New > Upload page.

Fast Secure Contact Form
    Fast Secure Contact Form for WordPress. The contact form lets your visitors send you a quick E-mail message. Super customizable with a multi-form feature, optional extra fields, and an option to redirect visitors to any URL after the message is sent. Includes CAPTCHA and Akismet support to block all common spammer tactics. Spam is no longer a problem. Settings | Donate

Featured Posts
    DisplayBuddy Series - Display featured posts and images in a widget or shortcode.

Google+ Plugin
    Integrate with Google+ Pages and add the Google +1 button to your site so your visitors can vote to tell the world how great your site is!

Google Analytics
    It's great to offer your users Google Analytics, but it's even better to be able to offer it to individual bloggers AND at the same time capture sitewide stats for yourself!

Google Maps
    Easily embed, customize, and use Google maps on your WordPress site - in posts, pages or as an easy to use widget, display local images and let your site visitors get directions in seconds.

Infinite SEO
    Every SEO option that a site requires, in one easy bundle.

Invite
    Allow your users to invite - via email - their friends and colleagues to check out their blog and sign up at your site!

iThemes Boom Bar
    Add notification bars to the top of your site.

iThemes Slideshow
    Slideshow lets you display images with fully customizable animated transitions and effects. Easily create image groups and display them anywhere on your site.

MailChimp Sync
    Simply integrate MailChimp with your Multisite (or regular old single user WP) site - automatically add new users to your email lists and import all your existing users

Membership Premium
    The most powerful, easy to use and flexible membership plugin for WordPress, Multisite and BuddyPress sites available. Offer downloads, posts, pages, forums and more to paid members.

Moderation
    Moderate posts, comments and blogs across your WordPresds Mu install

MU Support System
    Support System for WordPress multi site

New Blog Templates
    Allows the site admin to create new blogs based on templates, to speed up the blog creation process

PB-Tweet
    Adds your latest tweet to a banner at the top of your website.

Pricing table
    Generate Pricing Table Easily. Use simple short-code [ahm-pricing-table id=999] ( 999 = use any table id here) inside page or post content to embed pricing table

Pro Sites (Formerly Supporter)
    The ultimate multisite site upgrade plugin, turn regular sites into multiple pro site subscription levels selling access to storage space, premium themes, premium plugins and much more!

Quick Cache
    Dramatically improves the performance & speed of your site! Also compatible with WordPress® Multisite/Networking.

Quick Cache Clear for Publisher
    Allows anyone with publish permissions to clear the cache in Quick Cache

ReCAPTCHA (AVH F.D.A.S Component)
    Protects your comments from spam by adding a CAPTCHA challenge

Remember Me Checked
    Automatically checks the 'Remember Me' checkbox on the login page (useful if you are keen to keep your user logged in)

Remove Email Verification
    This plugin automatically activates user and blog signups, effectively disabling the need for the user to respond to an email

Reports
    Displays post and comment activity per blog and per user

Rotating Images
    DisplayBuddy Series - Rotate images using transitions, such as fade or slide, or static random image on page load.

Rotating Text
    DisplayBuddy Series - A plugin that rotates text using animation to fade the text in and out.

Set Blog Description on Blog Creation
    Allows new bloggers to be able to set their tagline when they create a blog in Multisite

Set Password on WordPress Multisite Blog Creation
    Set Password on WordPress Multisite Blog Creation

ShareThis
    Let your visitors share a post/page with others. Supports e-mail and posting to social bookmarking sites. Configuration options are here. Questions on configuration, etc.? Make sure to read the README.

Simple Sitemaps For Multisite
    The ultimate search engine plugin - Simply have sitemaps created, submitted and updated for every blog on your site

Site Generator Replacement
    Easily customize ALL "Site Generator" text and links. Edit under Site Admin "Options" menu.

Slide-In
    Create and manage beautiful marketing messages, then convert your audience in a way that doesn’t annoy them.

Snapshot
    This plugin allows you to take quick on-demand backup snapshots of your working WordPress database. You can select from the default WordPress tables as well as custom plugin tables within the database structure. All snapshots are logged, and you can restore the snapshot as needed.

Social
    Broadcast newly published posts and pull in discussions using integrations with Twitter and Facebook. Brought to you by MailChimp.

Social Marketing
    Marketing on social networks.

Spam Filter (AVH F.D.A.S Component)
    Protects your comments by filtering out obvious spam

Subscribe by Email
    This plugin allows you and your users to offer subscriptions to email notification of new posts

TablePress
    TablePress enables you to create and manage tables in your posts and pages, without having to write HTML code, and it adds valuable functions for your visitors.

TinyMCE Advanced
    Enables advanced features and plugins in TinyMCE, the visual editor in WordPress.

Trackback Validation (AVH F.D.A.S Component)
    Validates your trackbacks as a protection against spam

Ultimate Branding
    A complete white-label and branding solution for multisite. Login images, favicons, remove WordPress links and branding, and much more.

Update Services
    Multisite automatically removes the update services box from the settings

User Activity
    Collects user activity data and makes it available via a tab under the Site Admin

User Reports
    A report tool to show user Post and Comment activity for a single site or across a network. Uses data collected by Post Indexer and Comment Indexer plugins.

VidEmbed
    Easily embed videos in posts,pages, and widgets.

Video Showcase
    DisplayBuddy Series - Embed thickbox videos with image links.

WP Google Fonts
    The Wordpress Google Fonts Plugin makes it even easier to add and customize Google fonts on your site through Wordpress.

WPMU DEV Dashboard
    Brings the power of WPMU DEV direct to you, it'll revolutionize how you use WordPress, activate now!

WPMU DEV Videos
    A simple way to integrate WPMU DEV's over 40 unbranded support videos into your websites. Simply activate this plugin, then configure where and how you want to display the video tutorials.

WPtouch iPhone Theme
    A plugin which formats your site with a mobile theme for the Apple iPhone / iPod touch, Google Android, Palm Pre and other touch-based smartphones.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.