What are the differences between UpFront themes?

I'm trying to understand the differences between each of your themes. Are they really just the UpFront editor functionality bundled with a bunch of pre-made pages? Is it more than that? I read that I will loose any information that I create within the UpFront editor if I switch themes, even to another WPMU theme (which is almost a deal breaker for me to put on client sites). So I want to be extra sure that I have selected the right theme for my client as I build out her site.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello ,

I read that I will loose any information that I create within the UpFront editor if I switch themes, even to another WPMU theme (which is almost a deal breaker for me to put on client sites).

This is not true :slight_smile: - every change you make in every Upfront theme is stored in the database. So switching between themes will not erase changes. Could you link me page where you read about that?

Upfront is framework that handles how the editor works (all the drag and drop elements and how you can manage and change looks of your site). Upfront child themes are pre made themes that have different layouts and styles. In case of child themes difference is only looks (and yes, pages that those themes are creating) - whole power lays in the Upfront itself.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• WPMonkey

Here is the reply that I received from a Contact (was trying to chat but got kicked out to that form):

What does that mean? Where is the data stored? Can I ever export it to recover it if a client wants to switch themes in the future?

This means that all content that was added to upfront via upfront modules is stored in database and "attached" to this particular upfront layout that you created. If you switch theme this won't be lost but will not be available either. If you switch back to the same upfront theme, everything will get back.

Now: this doesn't apply to posts or pages or images added to media gallery this content will be available regardless of the theme.

Example of what would be made unavailable if you switch from Upfront theme to another upfront or e.g. Twenty Fifteen theme: a text added via Upfront's "Text" module, an image placed on site with "Image" module etc.

Yet, when you switch back to the theme where you added it, all that data should be there.

----------------
    So, that says to me if I switch from one UpFront theme to another UpFront theme, that the text and images that I added to a page via the UpFront editor would no longer be there. Is this true?

Also, what criteria should I use when choosing from the UpFront themes? Colors/styles or page templates (i.e. portfolio)??

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello WPMonkey,

I'm sorry for the confusion! I understood that someone wrote that if you switch to another theme you will loose all the settings in previous theme and when you switch back you will need to start all work over - and that's not true.

But its true that all your settings and changes that you done with Upfront draggable elements are associated with this particular theme and they will not be used when you switch to another theme - in this context this is true. Settings and changes are not passed between Upfront themes - or any other themes.

When you use text element on page it will be part of one theme - it will not be moved to other theme.

Also, what criteria should I use when choosing from the UpFront themes? Colors/styles or page templates (i.e. portfolio)??

Every Upfront theme has the same functionalities and features - so when choosing right theme design is criteria - its best to choose one that fits most your desired look (so it wont need much changes to get it look like you want). Page templates are also handy because then you don't have to create your own but you can re-use them.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.