What are the standard image size for a site templates

Hello Admin,

May i ask...What are the standard image sizes for a site templates?
Example i need to change a background image in the full header width, what is the standard size that best applicable in order also to reload a site immediate, fast, without so much buffering....

Please advise, how to quicken my site with an advisable image sizes, like for backgroud images, header imnages, etc...

hope to hear from your good advises.

Thanks a lot. MOre power.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey David,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

It's great that you wish to speed up your site and lower the server load. For what it's worth, not many site owners nowadays seem to bother with this, so you're definitely one of those who want to make web better :slight_smile:

That being said, there's no single conclusive answer to your question. The size of the images heavily depends on the theme you're using. For example, the fixed-width theme of 960 px width won't make much use of 2048 px wide images. A 960 px wide image will be enough.

On the other hand, if you're using a modern, responsive and retina ready theme, you should probably use images twice as wide as the maximum available theme width (and you can either set this width in Customizer or check it in the theme's style.css file - it depends on the theme).

The rule of the thumb here is to keep images as small as possible but at the same time stick to the general image size's set by theme's CSS.

Second important rule is to keep image files as light as possible. That means that uploading a full-scale image directly from your camera to a site is not a good practice. Instead, those images should be first resized. Also, a lot of photo editing apps allows you to set jpeg compression level, so you may make files even lighter.

Finally, I think you may want to give our WP Smush PRO plugin a try.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/

It is a plugin for image optimization that uses our reliable servers and advanced compression tools to give you faster load times and higher performance.

If you have any further questions on this, please ask. I'll be glad to help you!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.