What business models to use WPMU DEV for?

Okay I bought WPMU because it's nice and shiny and I thought it would be practical for using it for managing my own network of sites. Is this the right purpose? I also want to use it for the purpose of more easily managing a bunch of Adsense sites...is this the right purpose.

I don't want to show the fact my sites are linked together at all. Will using WPMU DEV expose this?

I want to be able to use completely different themes and, in some cases, plug-ins on each of the sites. Can I do this?

When I go to the WPMU home page is see only half of the examples sites truly us if for giving users of those sites a chance to set-up their own blog (site). A full third of the showcased sites aren't even working. It makes me wonder if this is a good product. I also notice many typos and poor use of English on the main site...makes me wonder how "unprofessional" this product really is.

aecnu

Greetings Kieffer

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Okay I bought WPMU because it's nice and shiny and I thought it would be practical for using it for managing my own network of sites. Is this the right purpose?

It could be, it has a gazillion and one uses

I don't want to show the fact my sites are linked together at all. Will using WPMU DEV expose this?

It is not up to WPMU Dev but how you structure all your Domain Names. Sites created with WP Multi-Site - pure on a single installation - will show all the sites as Sub Domains of the main domain. However, if you use Plugins like Domain Mapping - each mapped domain will have its own unique Domain Name and therefore they do not appear to be linked together in any way, shape or form. Of course Domain Names themselves are purchased separately so to speak.

I want to be able to use completely different themes and, in some cases, plug-ins on each of the sites. Can I do this?

Absolutely. In this case you would want to via the Network Admin Dashboard "Network Activate" those Themes and Plugins you want common to all sites, and in the Dashboard of each site activate the Plugins that you want to use for just that site.

When I go to the WPMU home page is see only half of the examples sites truly us if for giving users of those sites a chance to set-up their own blog (site). A full third of the showcased sites aren't even working. It makes me wonder if this is a good product. I also notice many typos and poor use of English on the main site...makes me wonder how "unprofessional" this product really is.

Considering those example sites that were originally setup by users we cannot be held accountable that those sites are still active, but it is agreed that they should be gone over every so often to check if those sites or domain names still resolve.

In many cases a person keeps the site but they change the Domain Name as they learn about SEO and Keywords in their Domain Names and then change the domain name without informing us.

I marked in Bold above a technically invalid sentence you have made, but I know what you mean By the way the last sentence deserves a question mark
    I did not mention this to insult you or anything, just to indicate that we are professional and offer that by pointing this out as proof thereof
    This (typos, etc.) happens a lot when dealing with computer geeks that are more in tune with the details of their language being PHP, HTML, etc. then the spoken language ..... lol

Thanks again for joining and if you have any further question please do not hesitate to ask.

Joe

Kieffer

Hey Joe

Thanks for answering some of my questions.

Help me understand the gazillion use - perhaps you could list the top 5?

Regarding using different themes on each site - do you mean to say I can activate multiple themes to be available to use on each site and then through the site specific control panel I can then select which one to use from the ones I've activated?

Sorry to see the feedback was met with defensiveness rather than ownership.

Thanks,

Kieffer

johnnymestizo

Hi Kieffer

Help me understand the gazillion use - perhaps you could list the top 5?

1) Blog Templates - copy the plugin settings, act plugins, post, pages, or your best adsense site.
    2) Domain Mapping - map any subdir/subdomain site you have to any custom domain you own.
    3) Infinity SEO - activate network wide a pretty good automated SEO solution
    4) There is a better Ad Manager plugin in the works. However, you can automatically add adsense before and after posts/pages network wide with 'Simple Ads'
    5) Floating social - allow you viewers to share a specific post page. It is also activated network wide.

Regarding using different themes on each site - do you mean to say I can activate multiple themes to be available to use on each site and then through the site specific control panel I can then select which one to use from the ones I've activated?

- You need to create a Multisite Wordpress install.
    - Go to network mode (whatever dot com/wp-admin/network/)
    - Install 80 themes
    - Then go to the /wp-admin/ of your adsense sub site
    - as a super admin activate the theme on that site manually
    - BAM. that 1 theme is now only activated on that specific site.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Kieffer

Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the insight on how to set things up.

I'm looking for info on the "for what business models". Adsense is one (simple and easy to duplicate and update multiple sites all at the same time with WPMU vs. updating many sites individually).

It seems there's quite a few folks in the community who have bought WMPU DEV but there's so few examples of it's application in the Showcase.

Kieffer

johnnymestizo

https://premium.wpmudev.org/making-money/

This is pretty much the money making plugins.

- Marketpress can take a share of all products sold on the network.

- Pro Sites can charge per month for subscription

- Ads

- Affiliate for people referring new customers to your site (does not support individual market press products)

- Membership - restrict access unless they pay.

You really need to just download and activate all of them, then go in to their backend settings.

That is the quickest way to figure out what is best for you.

"How can I create a business that is better than the competition?" is not really a question people would be able to tell you. You have to figure that out yourself I'm afraid. That's the challenge !

Johnny