What could cause the hassle... any idea?

Good day,

we are just wondering if you would have any idea what could cause the trouble. Luckily since Jose checked out the trouble with our database last week it runs so smoothly... we are so happy about that.

BUT
as soon as we start via Network Admin --> Update FORUM or Update NETWORK

we experience e.g. the following failure

Update Forums

http://fundraising.bestofthebestonly.com

Warning! Problem updating . Your server may not be able to connect to sites running on it. Error message: A valid URL was not provided.

We granted support access in case you'll login.
Thanks
Prinz

  • Michelle Shull

    Hello, Prinz! Hope you're well today.

    This error will usually trigger when one or more of the blogs in your network has missing or corrupt tables. When you're attempting to update, you should be able to determine which blog is stopping the process. You'll see blogs flash up in lists of five or so, when it fails, the site you're looking for will be in that list. Try to visit each site on that list, you should either see some errors when you attempt to visit them, or they will resolve the table issues on their own. (Not technically on their own, visiting the site is the action that counts here.)

    We've got an older thread from another member who was having the same issue, the reply here ended up resolving it for him: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/update-network-fails#post-659384

    Can you try that process and see if it works for you, as well?

    Thanks, Prinz! Hope you're having a nice week.

  • Klaus

    Hello Michelle,
    firstly thanks for advice which helps to a certain degree and sorry getting back late. Indeed we have corrupted db's and tables and would like to ask you kindly (best step-by-step instruction ... you know am totally unexperienced) how to correct the database and where.

    Situation: We renamed a subdomain (was ecommerce NOW shopping)
    we went to NETWORK ADMIN SITES and checked all SETTINGS (it's now shopping)
    BUT it seems the MySQL db header still has it's old entry ecommerce.

    We have multi-db so I assume I have to go first to _global database
    1. Next ---> which table do I search to checkout the new entry 'shopping' ???
    2. Next ---> would this be enough or do I have to checkout other tables too?

    Looking forward to read (and follow) your next advice.
    Many thanks in advance
    Prinz

  • Michelle Shull

    Hi there, Prinz!

    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're almost there. You're on the right track, it sounds like there are some inconsistencies in your tables that are causing the corrupt tables.

    There's just one more step we need to do here, and that's make sure all the database tables where the ecommerce URL needs to be changed to the shopping URL.

    Pre-step: If you're not comfortable working with your database, you can ask your host for help, or you can hire a developer for an hour or two to repair your tables. If you're not fully comfortable, it's okay to bring in someone else. There's no undo in database.

    Step 1: Take a backup of your databases. This way if any thing goes wrong you'll be able to restore everything to where you are right now.

    Step 2: Save that backup on your local computer and don't touch it again unless you need to restore it.

    Step 3: You're going to need to search and replace the old references(ecommerce) with the new references (shopping.) With a single database, there's a tool to do this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-and-replace/, however I don't seen any information saying it's compatible with multi-databases. So we're going to search by hand.

    Step3a: Check out my first screenshot. You'll need to search your global database, and if the site with the new name has it's own database, or any of its tables are hosted in a different database, you'll need to search those as well.
    Step3b: After you search, you'll see a list of results with all your tables listed, along with the opportunity to browse any that contain your particular string. (See second screenshot)

    Step 3c: Click browse to bring up the individual tables.

    Step 4: Edit the fields you need to match your new subdomain name. You can double click on any field to edit it. (See third screenshot.)

    Step 5: Save your changes.

    Step 6: Repeat steps until you've gone through any of the database where your subsite's URL might be stored.

    Please do let me know if you have more questions. I hope this was more helpful to you than my last reply.

    Have a fantastic day!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.