What do I need to do in CPANEL if I'm not going to map sub domains?

Hi, I'm a newb and this is my first time using the plugin. I think I've set it all up properly but have a few questions:
1. If I don't plan on allowing users to map a sub domain they may have, do I need to anything in CPANEL for each regular domain they want to map?
2. Is it all automatic? Do I just put in the domain the user has registered somewhere else, and it will map to my dedicated IP...all automatically?
3. Does anyone use the eNom service? Do you find that customers will actually buy a domain name from within your sites? It seems the service charges hefty fees. Not sure about that though. Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Mick,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

1: & 2: Are they registering the domain with you? The actual mapping is automatic, but there are a couple of things to make sure of, it must be a parked domain and not a add-on domain.

The domain must also have a A record for your dedicated IP, which the Domain Mapping plugin doesn't add automatically :slight_smile:

3: I don't personally use eNom day to day, I have tested it before and it seems like a good service, though in my experience most users would prefer to get their domain from a third party vendor such as GoDaddy or Name Cheap for example, that way they never feel locked into a service, if that makes sense? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Mick
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ok that's what I needed to know. However, the usage instructions aren't clear to me. Under the 'CPANEL' section, it only talks about if a user wants to map a sub domain they already have.

So you're saying the customer's domain must be a 'parked domain' right? How am I to know this? Is this a conversation I'll have to have with each customer? Plus, the customer has to know what an 'A' record is and how to set it to my IP? Heck I myself wouldn't even know how to do that. There must be better instructions somewhere.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Mick,

Thanks for the additional information.

That's correct, a customers domain should be a parked domain in their cPanel, the next step depends on if they are using cPanel.

If they are using cPanel, they should go to the advanced zone editor and add a A record with the domain name and your IP, your IP will be displayed to them in their sub site on your network > tools > domain mapping.

I'm afraid these are the only instructions we have right now https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

I did find these docs here http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/CpanelDocs/AdvancedDnsEditor for adding a A record.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.