What do you recommend for hosting?

What do you recommend for wordpress multisite hosting?

• Dev4

That is a wide open question.

What country are yourr users in (mostly)

What is your business model (and budget)

What tyoe of traffic do you expect on the site

How fast will you need to scale up if you hit it big

You can run multisite on anything from a low cost shared plan, on up to owning a network of servers.

Give us a bit of an idea of the type of site, and what it will do etc.
    You will get plenty of feedback and recomendations here, but knowing what you want to do will help us all to point you in the right direction

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I know a few recommend WP Engine, it's more restrictive and less control but offers greater security and speed. It's also rather expensive.

We did a series of articles not so long ago on hosts:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/category/wordpress-hosting/

If you take a look through the theme reviews, and read the comments you'll see opinions can be vastly different, as can experience. For example, me personally I wouldn't use GoDaddy but there are many people who swear by them.

What DEV4 was also getting at is it depends on your requirements, for example do you need a shared host, an array or servers, or something else.

I often recommend Web Hosting Talk as a great resource to find reviews and discounts too:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Hope some of this helps.

Have a great day!

• Conhost

Having gone from an internet noob in 2006 to a hosting provider, I would agree with Timothy regarding Godaddy. I've never hosted with Godaddy myself but have had many webdesign clients that did and have had to use their admin panel many times. Its very confusing to the average person and I personally feel it's too "busy". I dumped them as a registrar 3 years ago when a a couple of clowns in support mocked and laughed at me on the phone.

I'd suggest a host that offers WHM/Cpanel. There are lots of hosts that use WHM and thus a lot more discussion groups, forums and tutorials if you need them at all since it's so user friendly.

Before I moved everything to my own server, I had used HostGator shared hosting and found them to be very client friendly. They bent over backwards trying to keep me as a client but their VPS packages were just not competitive.

Another important issue in host shopping is addon domains. Many people think you need a hosting package for every domain....not true. Look for hosts that allow addon domains.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Conhost.

You're probably aware, but much of the competition or noise (busy) out there comes from the Endurance International Group aka Hostgator, JustHost and the many others. You can find all their companies here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

One of our members, a chap called Ian aka Imperative Idea is fairly vocal about their services and no in a good way.

Personally I'd avoid using them too, but again, we have tons of other members (and there are loads of people on the web) that would swear by them.

I dumped them as a registrar 3 years ago when a a couple of clowns in support mocked and laughed at me on the phone.

Not the same, but... A few years ago, I think maybe 2004 possibly a little later, I used 1&1 for my servers and domains too. They were great whilst stuff worked, but then I kept having a recurring issue (I had servers, but not root). I found I spent a fair amount of time on the phone explaining the issue to them and how to fix it (thanks to the power of search and some great sites). How bad is it when a customer is needing to advise a "System Admin" how to do their job.

I left them promptly as you can imagine. I occasionally see people who swear by them whereas I avoid them like the plague despite their cheap prices. It's just not worth it, I'd rather pay more.

Anyway, I've digressed some. ha ha

Thanks for chipping in, it's always great to hear more voices helping other members out. :slight_smile:

• Conhost

I was unaware that HostGator was sold and I thank you for pointing that out. I have some calls to make today....since I just referred them to some others. They were a good group of people when I used them.

I spent a lot of time researching VPS providers after initially trying a low cost option (turned into a mess). I settled with Knownhost and I hope you don't have any bad news for me there. I'd have to disagree with you since they have been beyond outstanding. Initially I was worried about no phone support but they are generally super responsive by ticket/email. I'm pretty sure they outsource the support but I don't care as long as it's as good as it is.

Knownhost doesn't offer shared hosting and since it's been a few years since I used a shared host (besides myself)....I'll refrain from recommending anyone.

Thanks again for the heads up.

• Timothy Bowers

Actually, and kinda ironically I don't know Known Host, at least that I recall. It's possible I've been involved in conversations involving them before, but I've slept since then. ha :slight_smile:

One thing I find about reviews online about services is that they should always be taken with a pinch of salt. Here's why, angry customers are always more likely to be more vocal sharing their poor and often slanted (from their perspective only) experience of the company often without full facts. Let's face it, a negative experience sticks in your mind, I know it does for me.

Whereas as happy contented customers are less likely to go out sharing reviews and praise. They are after all, contented and just happily continue along their merry way.

I mention this because hosting reviews can be rather controversial. Take a look at some of the comments on our series of reviews I linked to above. Some are fiercely in disagreement with our writer but something they need to keep in mind that it's just one persons experience and isn't always representative of the whole customer base that company has.

Anyway, it's great to hear that KnownHost are looking after you. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Conhost

Most of the hosting review sites are worthless. Almost half are fakes owned and operated by the host and the other half are after affiliate link commissions. There are a few that seem to be unaligned but they are hidden in a sea of marketing noise.

Another point to consider...that rather large list of hosting companies in the Endurance International Group family don't include the resellers & VPS accounts. These accounts run off the same servers, just different partitions and provisioning.

No telling how large that list would be if you tossed those in!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.