What does membership of WPMUdev offer

What should members expect by way of support for their membership?

I would expect:

1. Value for money
2. Regular responses to questions until resolution
3. Software that works together (ie plugins that support each other and work together - not all do)
4. Software designed to meet business needs, not just technical competence (ie a plugin that does what it claims but is of no real use to a business is of little practical use)
5. "Owners" who will take part in discussions - even explain who they are and how WPMUdev is structured?
6. Roadmaps of future development/features (if they exist then put then somewhere easily found!)
7. etc etc etc .....

• aristath

Hello again @TrueHammer,

3. Software that works together (ie plugins that support each other and work together - not all do)

Which ones have you found that do not work? When such incompatibilities arefound, we always try to fix them ASAP...

4. Software designed to meet business needs, not just technical competence (ie a plugin that does what it claims but is of no real use to a business is of little practical use)

Our plugins are built based on user needs. Granted, we can't cover all the use cases that all our users want, but we do our best to accommodate as many users as possible. When a feature is not available, its implementation depends on its request. If 100 people want feature A and 2 people want feature B, then it's only natural that we will first implement feature A!

5. "Owners" who will take part in discussions - even explain who they are and how WPMUdev is structured?

I believe there are lots of articles out there that say who we are and what our structure is like... but I believe there is also something in the works about that, though I don't have enough details yet.

6. Roadmaps of future development/features (if they exist then put then somewhere easily found!)

This is part of the site redesign that we will be implementing, already being worked on.
    As for points 1 & 2, I am sorry if we've left any issues unresolved... Can you please post links to any issues you might be having so that I may take a closer look?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• TrueHammer

Re:

1. I was hoping someone from WPMUdev would define what they expect to offer as VFM
    2. I seem to spend my time viewing posts where there are ongoing comments that remain unanswered going back months/years - to the extent it seems that posters get fed up with chasing up. WRT my posts requests they have been resolved eventually - but only by saying the feature isn't there yet (both business related issued not technical failings)
    3/4. Well I suppose that requires a definition of work. Take for example my recent post wrt personalising newsletters. You cannot personalise on a users firstname, only on username. I understand it is being looked at, but it is a fairly major flaw in its "business logic", so how was that defined? I don't believe 100 people asked for personalise with users name, and only two asked for first name. Take the discussion re pop over - again it works with an external auto responder, but it doesn't work with newsletter due to the username/firstname issue (assuming the sign up works with pop over as the business flaw means there is no point in testing it!)
    4. again - today I was searching for a solution to a sports massage site where the owner can sell gift vouchers personalised/with a unique reference. The threads I saw seemed to indicate there was lots of support - but nothing in the way of a commitment to deliver
    5. OK - not easy to find, IMHO - for example you didn't put a link to the said page(s) and if they were easy to find I am sure you would have added them. I don't easily spot an about us link (but then I do wear glasses!)
    6. Glad to hear it - but another case (as nearly all seems to be) of "we will be implementing/ass to the feature requests.

Now overall I like what I see, but as a business owner I have to question all my expenditure. I am therefore struggling to fully comprehend the VfM equation when everything seems to be some far off development possibility and chasing for answers. It may be this community is too technical for me, I hope not. I am looking for reasons to renew and at the moment that is hanging in the balance.

• aristath

Take for example my recent post wrt personalising newsletters. You cannot personalise on a users firstname, only on username. I understand it is being looked at, but it is a fairly major flaw in its "business logic", so how was that defined? I don't believe 100 people asked for personalise with users name, and only two asked for first name.

Sure, you're right there. We ask for ideas and then the developer takes over and when something is not defined by the users (as for example what will be used, username or firstname), the developer makes some practical assumptions to make sure it works. Not all users edit their firstname on your site, but all users have a username. From that point on, we try to listen to your demands and observations and the developers try to accomodate as many use-cases as possible.
    Tke these 2 posts for example to see what users ask for. The rest is all up to the developer as there are usually way too many variables and we do have to assume some things:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-types-of-sites-should-our-themes-be-made-for
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/vote-on-the-features-you-like-to-be-there-in-the-plugin

4. again - today I was searching for a solution to a sports massage site where the owner can sell gift vouchers personalised/with a unique reference. The threads I saw seemed to indicate there was lots of support - but nothing in the way of a commitment to deliver

We do not have a solution for that. Everytime someone asks a question about this, we go back to see the previous threads about this issue, and always try to figure out a workaround so that our users can achieve what they want.
    It's not unreasonable, it's just that we don't have something like that and try to find a way to make it work.

5. OK - not easy to find, IMHO - for example you didn't put a link to the said page(s) and if they were easy to find I am sure you would have added them. I don't easily spot an about us link (but then I do wear glasses!)

A list of all the staff members can be found on the WPMU-DEV parent company website, http://incsub.com/

6. Glad to hear it - but another case (as nearly all seems to be) of "we will be implementing/ass to the feature requests.

Changing the design of a community with more than 130.000 members is not that easy! Our designers are working on it... but honestly I have no direct contact with them other than a bi-weekly meeting, so I don't know details about it!

I am therefore struggling to fully comprehend the VfM equation when everything seems to be some far off development possibility and chasing for answers

Development on lots of issues is not as far-off as you might think!
    We have some major updates coming soon to MarketPress, Membership and Snapshot, with more on the way!
    On top of that we recently hired 2 new developers so some issues that have been unresolved for a while should see some progress. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• TrueHammer

My lengthy reply failed to post (twice), so will give up on this thread, though if the designer asked for ideas, then published a draft spec for comment the situation re username but no first/second name might be addressed by the "business" focused members in advance of coding. That way a plugin wouldn't be marketed as the "complete" solution....

Overall it comes across as an attempt to justify the status quo, rather than address serious questions in the spirit they were submitted

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.