What does this plugin have to do with yelp, about.com, imdb?

I’m familiar with custom post types, but I can’t figure out the relationship between it and the logos in the graphic that goes with the plugin. Is it just that they’re database-driven?

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/

I just read through this. First off. Thank You! It solves a problem i have been pondering today!

secondly! I am not sure what they have to do with plugin, It may be examples of what can be done with it.

or it may be like the BuddyPress Hide Widgets plugin. It has nothing to do with cats, but has a cat hiding in a basket.

thanks Agian for giving me a reason to read CustomPress!

• cdgweb
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

None of the ones in the image are WP. I think IMDB is a good example of what a CPT can do, I don’t agree with about.com or yelp.com being good examples, but my opinion on that is irrelevant.

CustomPress has some dandy features and if I weren’t using LoopBuddy to build my CPT layouts, I’d use it for sure. I’m just used to another plugin, so I haven’t changed, but many of my web designing friends use it and like it a lot.

If you *really* want to see if a site is WP, go here: http://www.isitwp.com/

I use functions to take out most of the identifying information from my WP sites, but isitwp.com still figures it out.

• cdgweb

As I understand it, you can redefine wp-admin to be something different (and not easily guessed) in the wp-config.php file. I have never done it myself because if I break something that way, I won’t know how to fix it. <smirk>

You could also put a separate htaccess file in the wp-admin folder that only allows access from specific ip addresses.

I just block login attemps using http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/login-lockdown/

I also have a function loaded that hides the login error message so folks can see why their login didn’t work (it keeps them from guessing usernames and trying to brute force their way in).

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Its a great discussion here :slight_smile:

Also might start picking something other than “admin” for the username :slight_smile:

I never use admin even since there was a login lockdown a couple of months back. I always prefer some random usernames.

Cheers

PC

• cdgweb

I generally stay away from plugins that haven’t been updated as well. I know sites I manage (about 60 or so client sites) the plugin works perfectly. I think it’s just that it is a fairly simple plugin.

I don’t personally like locking down sites to IP addresses as my clients access their sites from multiple points (homes, offices, starbucks, etc.). Plus all the high speed internet providers here assign dynamic IP addresses.

I’ll have to keep bulletproof-security bookmarked though, there may be a time that I need to take stronger measures. (bigger company sites, etc.)

• Richie
    • Flash Drive

Hi @cdgweb

Oh you know the bulletproof-security is actually a full security program. One of its main focuses is to protect your site or multisite from common attacks and injections. There at the link above you can read more of what it does. The ip lockdown is only 1 feature of what i think is (hundreds?) of things to protect our sites. I do not build a site without it being installed. Give it a test locally on your test server and see the newly create .htaccess (and all the backed up ones it creates) and you will see its protecting against lots of attempts. Pretty amazing plugin to me. And even better the developer is taking on suggestions to make it better – more features. I gave that plugin 5 stars. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.