What features and benefits do you offer to your bloggers?

I was just writing up a welcome letter to my new bloggers to hype them up on their new blog site and get them excited about what they can do with it, when I got to wondering what other folks offer.

I'll start out by listing what I offer (straight from the exciting sales pitch letter through the advanced technique of copy and paste.) to my target market of accountants. Maybe other folks would give lists of what they offer and we can each inspire others. Here goes ...

In order to get started, there is a bit of housekeeping and setup you need to do. To get started, you'll need to log in and take care of a few things …

(1)Deciding if you want to keep the default theme, or use one of the several hundred other themes available,
(2)Customizing your site header to remove our site name and use your own logo and brand,
(3)Deciding which pages about your firm you want to have, such as describing your firm, your services and staff,
(4)Writing the content for those pages,
(5)Deciding what user interaction you want, and activating or deactivating those tools, things like
...1.Your free client and visitor forum,
...2.Your free seminars and workshops calendar,
...3.Your free contact us form,
...4.Your free survey or poll,
...5.Your free financial calculators
...6.Your free email marketing and newsletter account, and
...7.Your free articles for your content.
(6)Signing up for your affiliate account so you can earn money from ads shown on your site,
(7)Creating your own products to sell in ads on your site and through our network of sites,
(8)Consider upgrading to offer advanced benefits, such as
...1.A private membership only section of your website, and
...2.Creating your own network of websites for your clients and community, just like this.

Suggestions appreciated.

PS - A lot of these things will be moved to Supporter or Upgrade categories as I build a community. I'm offering them free at this time to attract users. My competitions charges $49.95 a month and gives more, so I'm thinking that after I learn and offer more I'll know what to charge for and what to give away.

• drmike

My competitions charges $49.95 a month and gives more

That's actually a good start and what I've recommended in the past. See what other sites in your field do and see what you can do as well. Maybe even write up a comparison page comparing those other sites.

I don't know though about moving features from everybody gets it to being restricted. That may open you up for legal concerns. I'd go more of a route of make whatever is free free, make the supporter stuff there from the beginning and just offer something like 45 days free as supporter.

• Kirk Ward

I don't know though about moving features from everybody gets it to being restricted. That may open you up for legal concerns. I'd go more of a route of make whatever is free free, make the supporter stuff there from the beginning and just offer something like 45 days free as supporter.

I was thinking that I would give all existing folks free supporter status at some point ... say twenty or thiry or a hundred users, and then start cutting back on the stuff only for new users.

I think that if they get something, they need to keep getting it, but It's okay to change the deal to something new if it's done before they sign up. Idea being those that have it will be able to tout it to the new folks.

My competition is pretty established, I think with either three or thirty thousand subscribers, so my model is going to have to do a lot to attract folks, but I've already got a couple of folks who use them inquiring about signing up for this.

PS - I need to add domain mapping to the Supporter category. That may make it enough supporter features right there. And, include an unrestricted autoresponder or email marketing account also.

• Sue

Support is a big reason why our users choose Edublogs and Edublogs Campus.

They know we are there ready to help them whenever, we actively support the edublogging community (including educators using other blogging platforms) and often offering to help even when they haven't requested it.

With Campus a lot of our users also use other platforms for other tasks (e.g LMS, wikis etc) and often give us the feedback they wise they got the same level of support from those other companies.

And this all helps with them referring our services to our people.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.