What "Full Size" Images Do You Upload?

I've got a habit of uploading "full size" images directly from my phone (12MP) or Camera (16MP). I also have some full size panoramics that can be up to 10,000 pixels wide.

Obviously these files are HUGE but I rarely use the "full size". I recently used WP Smush to optimize my thumbnails. However, I'm wondering if I should resize my entire image library to a more managable usable size.

The question is... How large of a file should I upload? What resolution?

I want to keep my site "future proof" and I know once 4K displays become the norm all of these 1080P images will look teeny tiny.

Thanks for the advice!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dave,

I'm not sure how to answer your question - I do feel it really depends on circumstances. I personally upload smaller copies of my pictures to website because for me 6MB image is "waste" of space and no one wants to see its in original form (and wait for it to load). But I do pictures of my travels and I'm not pro photographer so there is absolutely no need for me to do that.
    And I keep original images in cloud and on hard drive.

You need to answer some questions - do you have enough space to keep those images in original size, will capacity be a problem in the future? Do you keep copy of those images somewhere else?

Also, you can try asking our members for opinion in members forum https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/members (or I can move your thread there).

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.