What happen after premium subscription is expired?

Hi,
What happen after my user's premium subscription is expired? Can we update the expired members to = normal subscribers?

• Nastia

Hello @amir, I hope you are well today!

Thank you for your question!

After one Membership ends, you can assign a user to a different membership or restrict access to Visitor-level, which means the user will have access to your webpage as a subscriber. The member remains as a registered user once his membership ends.

To change this option, please navigate to Memberships -> Payment Options. Locate "After this membership ends" and set the membership you wish to assign or leave the option "restrict access to Visitor-level," as it is . Please check the attached screenshot.

I hope this helps! If I may be of any further assistance, please, let me know!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• amir

Hi @Nastia Thanks for the reply!!

What is Visitor-Level Access?

Let me explain you our situation in bit more details. We are using the Membership 2 just for subscription purpose and on single.php we are using a custom simple script to check the user level and show the content if user belong to a specific level e.g. Premium Member.

After subscription expired what will be membership level "Visitor-Level Access" ?

Thanks

• Sajid

Hi @amir,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Its the level you set from Settings > General > New User Default Role (mostly subscriber).

First of all I want to clear that Membership does not change user level to restrict their access to specific content. It restricts according the membership the user is added in from backend or subscribed from frontend.

I am not sure what simply custom code you are using single.php file, so I can't say what will happen with your custom functionality after membership expires, it totally depends on the code.

From where did you get that code ? Can you post it here so I can take a closer look ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

• Michael Bissett

Hey @amir,

To run through things here:

To elaborate on what my colleague @Anastasia offered earlier, "Visitor-Level", simply put, is referring to the level of access that a visitor (i.e. a non-registered user) would have.

Now, given the situation you proposed (that being to switch users over to an "Expired" membership, when their premium memberships expire), we'll want to take a bit of a different route.

First, you'd want to create a membership called "Expired" (choose "Standard" as the membership type).

Then, once you've done that, you'd want to go and edit your premium membership by clicking on the "Edit" link for the membership, and then navigate to:

Memberships -> Payment Options

And locate "After this membership ends". From the dropdown there, set it to "Change to: Expired".

Now, when a user's premium membership has expired, he'll be switched over to that "Expired" membership of yours. :slight_smile:

Does this help? Or is there something more to this situation? If so, please elaborate, so that we can help you get this sorted more smoothly. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• Sajid

Hi @amir,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

To get the status of a current member's membership you can use following code. Call the API after init and don't forget to replace the text "Specify the membership ID" with numeric ID of membership. This will return the status text in $status variable at the end. Later on you can use that according to your requirements.

$api = ms_api();
    $member = $api->get_current_member();
    $memmbership_id = 'Specify the membership ID';
    $subscription = $member->get_subscription($memmbership_id);
    $status = $subscription->status_text();

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.