what happens after a users membership expires

Say a user is a paid user and there membership just expired? What happens to the user?

I have a free membership, and an upgrade path to premium. If they start as free, then go premium, there membership expires, do they revert to the previous level (free)? or does it show them all membership level options if they try and log in again so they can choose, free or premium again?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

I hope you can handle some humor …. lol

when their membership expires the DHS, CIA, FBI, ICE, ATF and all of the rest of the three letter people show up, pack the former upgraded member into a box and send them off to some Eastern European country to be tortured with electro shock therapy for letting their membership expire ….. lmao

and what were you thinking???

I couldn’t resist …. I am already there!

Joe :slight_smile:

• Qlof
    • The Crimson Coder

As far as I know, premium plugins and themes will still be activated. But quota will be lowered and the user will not be able to activate other plugins/themes that are set for pro users. I would try it on a test blog with a free subscription though.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

In a test I did from paid back to free ….. not only was the quota reduced but the theme was reverted back to the network default theme and the theme that was placed as a paying member there deactivated and requiring payment to re-activate – but plugins remain activated :slight_frown:

and as Phil informed me and rightly so in another thread, there is no way the plugins can be de-activated upon membership expiration.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@qlof and Joe, just wanted to mention really quick that Membership actually works a bit differently than Pro Sites. There’s no activation or deactivation of plugins or themes, just access rules to the site.

@joe, thanks for that bit of humor, I caught that almost right after you posted but didn’t respond right away. Always helps to have a bit of humor around here! :slight_smile:

@bigt11, just let us know if you have any further questions on this!

Thanks,

David

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

thank you so much David for pointing out the absolute :slight_smile: I missed it that this person was referring to the Membership Plugin – still trying to get used to looking in the upper right hand corner for the clue …. lol

I myself have not yet dived into the Membership Plugin and for some reason it was in my head thinking Pro Sites Membership :-S Sorry.

Normally I do not comment on plugins I am not experienced with and this is one of them …..

but the humor was still pretty good :slight_smile:

• Joe
    • New Recruit

I just commented in another post that this forum seems very businesslike (which is good). There’s no “just want to chat” thread.

I’m a new member just trolling to get used to this particular forum. I’m really looking forward to getting to know more people here and using WPMU. I’ve heard about it for a long time.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.