What happens after Pro Sites subscription ends?

Hello :slight_smile:

I noticed this question has been asked several times before, but that was back in mid 2014 and sometimes even back to 2012.

A lot has changed so I think you guys owe us an update! :smiley:

The questions:

1. The user has level 2, has a Premium Theme and a Premium Plugin active, his Pro site expires! What happens?
  2. Extending question 1: What happens if the payment gateway is manual? Will they also receive a mail?
  3. The user has a Domain Mapped, is that domain still reserved? Is that domain even still working as a mapped domain? What happens if the user were to type the domain in when the subscription expires?
  4. Extending question 3: The user's mapped domain is also his default wp-admin domain, is that still accessible?
  5. Extending question 4: I noticed my test user got redirected to the upgrade page, is this by default? Can we change this?
  6. Which deactivation PHP hooks are fired when the user's subscription ends? Are these 100% reliable?
  7. Which hooks are fired when the trial period ends?

I hope this will help a lot of people ^^ (but most importantly: me :stuck_out_tongue:)

• Ash

Hello @Sybre

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

The user has level 2, has a Premium Theme and a Premium Plugin active, his Pro site expires! What happens?

The site won't have any pro status :slight_smile:

Then the site will have access only the free plugins and the themes which are network activated.

Extending question 1: What happens if the payment gateway is manual? Will they also receive a mail?

Yes, he should get an email.

The user has a Domain Mapped, is that domain still reserved? Is that domain even still working as a mapped domain? What happens if the user were to type the domain in when the subscription expires?

Well, the domain reservation is maintained in the domain panel, not in the site end :slight_smile:

But the domain won't work as mapped domain. That subsite needs to be accessed by the subsite url.

Extending question 3: The user's mapped domain is also his default wp-admin domain, is that still accessible?

Nope, he needs to access by http://subsute.network.com/wp-admin

Extending question 4: I noticed my test user got redirected to the upgrade page, is this by default? Can we change this?

Do you have Pay to Blog module enabled? This module won't allow any subsites for free. Please disable the module from Pro Sites > Modules / Gateways

Which deactivation PHP hooks are fired when the user's subscription ends? Are these 100% reliable?

The hook is psts_withdraw

You will find the hook at pro-sites.php line no 1394

Which hooks are fired when the trial period ends?

I am not quite sure about this. Let me tag the developer @Rheinard about this.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Sybre Waaijer

Brilliant @Ashok! Thanks :slight_smile:

Following up ^^:

Yes, he should get an email.

Is this also the case when I manually remove the Pro Site level within the Network-admin menu?
      I never seem to have gotten it.
      However, with the hook provided above I can send a mail anyway if all else fails ^^

Well, the domain reservation is maintained in the domain panel, not in the site end :slight_smile:

You mean here?:
      /wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=domainmapping_options&tab=mapped-domains
      So no one can steal that domain by mapping it because the expired user has mapped it before?

Do you have Pay to Blog module enabled? This module won't allow any subsites for free. Please disable the module from Pro Sites > Modules / Gateways

Nope :O, I have these modules active:
      Advertising
      Premium Plugins
      Premium Themes
      Restrict XML-RPC
      Upload Quota

Following up:
      When the user is over the free quota, let's say it's 2MB (lol) and he has uploaded 500MB. The files are still available for use I assume, but he can only delete them until he goes below his limit, correct? After he's below his limit he should be able to upload once more, correct?

• Ash

Hello @Sybre

I hope you are well today.

Is this also the case when I manually remove the Pro Site level within the Network-admin menu?

When the admin manually remove Pro Status, I don't think an email is delivered. And yes, the hook would be useful then.

You mean here?:
    /wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=domainmapping_options&tab=mapped-domains
    So no one can steal that domain by mapping it because the expired user has mapped it before?

Sorry, I think I am missing here something. What do you mean by "is that domain still reserved"?

What I meant that for example, you bought a domain from godaddy, so no one can still your domain as long you pay the bill at godaddy (still possible to steal though, that's a different way).

But this domain reservation, has no relation with Pro Sites. When his Pro status is expired, he won't be able to use any domain in his subsite but his domain is still safe :slight_smile:

Extending question 4: I noticed my test user got redirected to the upgrade page, is this by default? Can we change this?

Are you sure then the subsite users can't access their sites? Only activating pay to blog module will force them to pay as this module doesnt't allow any free sites. Please let me know.

If the user has 2MB, how did he upload 500MB? :smiley:

Well, if the quota set after uploading 500MB, yes the files are still there and usable, no way to protect it. But to upload something, he has to delete the files and when he is below 2MB then he can upload again :slight_smile:

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Sybre Waaijer

Hi @Ashok

Thank you for all the information :slight_smile: I think almost everything is answered here, just one more thing:

For example: The user has bought his domain example.com at godaddy and points it to my server's ip: 123.123.123.123. He mapped it on his site: example.mainsite.com so people can reach that with example.com.

Brilliant, working perfectly so far :slight_smile:!
      But now his Pro Sites expires. The domain is still pointing to 123.123.123.123, therefor it can be mapped on any site within the network.

What I mean to ask is: Can another user park the domain example.com to his own (another) website when the user of example.mainsite.com is expired?
      Or is the domain example.com reserved at example.mainsite.com?

This is what I mean by stealing :slight_smile: Within the network of course.

Hope you have a great week :slight_smile:

• Ash

Hello @Sybre

I hope you are well today.

What I mean to ask is: Can another user park the domain example.com to his own (another) website when the user of example.mainsite.com is expired?

Yes, this is possible. When the pro status is expired, then the domain mapping plugin will be auto deactivated for that subsite.

The domain is pointed to a dedicated IP and the IP is pointed to the network. Then yes, any site with Pro status which has domain mapping activated, can use that domain.

It can't be protected, because in a non-pro site, the domain mapping is deactivated, so no code from that plugin will be applicable for that subsite. Also, an user may have two subsites in your network. Today he wants to use the domain for example.network.com and after expiring, for example, he has not enough balance ( :smiley: ) right then. So, he wants to use the same domain in his other subsite.

But note that, the main control still at the domain owner's hand. Anytime he can just changes his domain DNS :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Huy N

Hi @Ashok,

So are you saying that if a member's subscription expires, the site will not be accessible via the domain mapped (by Domain Mapping) anymore and must be accessed only via the sub-domain (i.e. username.multisitenetwork.com)?

Because I tested on my site, even if the subscription ends, the domain can still be accessed by the mapped domain. Only the Mapping Domain function disappears under "Tools" (which obviously doesn't help, because the user wouldn't have access to the /wp-admin anyway).

Please advise,

Tim.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.