What happens if I later set domain mapping to 'Supporters' only?

Hi There!

What happens with exiting Nonsupporter accounts if I later set domain mapping to 'Supporters' only as a new standard?

Will all Nonsupporters loos the mapped domains? Or will they keep their settings?

Thanks for the clarification.
Tee

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Tee.

If you set Suporter only, then anyone with a Pro Level in Pro Sites can use the domain name mapping plugin.

Sites which expire will still have their domain name mapped, as in it will point to their site. All links for articles, pages ect unless hard coded (like in the menu area) will however use the subdomain/sub folder links.

So the mapped domain becomes more of a forwarder than mapped.

When they sign up to a Pro Level the mapping will continue to work again.

I hope that clarifies everything.

Take care.

• Tee

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the interesting information.
    Although it is not really answering my question. What I would like to do is to enable domain mapping for free accounts as well for a certain period of time. After let's say a month I want to disable domain mapping for free accounts and keep it only for pro-members.

Now, what happens to the free accounts who don't upgrade, but are using domain mapping. Will they loose it or will it stay?

In other words: Is it a one time decision to give domain mapping away for free, as you don't want to upset these clients?

Bests
    Tee

• Timothy Bowers

Ah sorry, your original question was what happens to domain name mapping if you moved to supporters only.

Which is why I stated they would loose the mapping. It would still forward the domain correctly, but all site links will revert the sub domain or sub folder version.

Only Pro Levels will have the feature.

To answer your further questions:

What I would like to do is to enable domain mapping for free accounts as well for a certain period of time. After let's say a month I want to disable domain mapping for free accounts and keep it only for pro-members.

You could use the Pro Sites free trial option, they would then get domain mapping for the period you allow them free for.

You can set a free trial here:

Admin --> Network Admin --> Pro Sites --> Settings

wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=psts-settings

Then configure the free trial there, domain mapping will work whilst the free trial is active.

Now, what happens to the free accounts who don't upgrade, but are using domain mapping. Will they loose it or will it stay?

In other words: Is it a one time decision to give domain mapping away for free, as you don't want to upset these clients?

Just to iterate my last post again:

Sites which expire will still have their domain name mapped, as in it will point to their site. All links for articles, pages ect unless hard coded (like in the menu area) will however use the subdomain/sub folder links.

So the mapped domain becomes more of a forwarder than mapped.

When they sign up to a Pro Level the mapping will continue to work again.

So yeah once the trail finishes so does the mapping, unless they sign back up again. The domain will still forward to the right blog and the right pages.

subsite.main.com <-- All links will point to the non mapped domain when support only is enabled and the site is not on a pro level.

Mapppeddomain.com/category/ <-- If this were a link on the mapped domain putting the link in direct will still work, but all links on that page will divert back to the sub domain. So like I mentioned the domain acts like a forwarder.

If you have any further questions let us know.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

It would be possible yes, but not by default. It would require some custom changes to alter how it behaves.

You could make this an official feature request within these forums:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions

I do think an option like, "Pay once, get it forever" would be extremely cool for some features.

Perhaps this could be a Pro Sites thing thinking about it.... So you can assign a default level a subscription falls back to after expiration. That same level could also be a one of payment if people just wanted domain mapping.

Pro Sites:

+ One off level payment options - Pay once, on there for life.
    + Allow Domain Mapping to be given as an option on a level basis and not just if its a pro site.
    + Allow a fall back level which would be given permanent status once a subscription expires.

Free Level (not payment, currently a feature)
    Level 1 - Pay once, access for life (includes domain mapping)
    Level 2 - Some cool extra features, if don't renew you get put on the Level 1 access for life option.

I'm just thinking out aloud here, but how is that sounding and is there anything you could add or change there if it did get developed in the future?

Take care.