What happens if the subdomain the user enters is already taken?

What happens if, during the sign up process when the user enters the subdomain they want for their site, they enter something that's already taken?

I was hoping the add-on would check with the WP database to see if the site name is already taken, but it doesn't seem to. So what happens after the person orders if they've selected a username that's already taken? Will it mess up the original account? Or will the new account just not work?

Thanks,
Todd

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Are you talking about in WHMCS? I didn't mention it specifically in my post but I posted it in that category.

When someone orders through WHMCS it asks the subdomain but I've tried entering one that I know already exists and I don't get any kind of message, it just continues through to checkout.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @Todd Heitner

Good point to bring up.

In your WHMCS installation, go to "Setup" > "General Settings" > "Ordering" and scroll down to where you see "Block Existing Domains". Be sure that box is checked.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Oops, forgot about the username question.

I've looked over all the settings in a test WHMCS install and can't find anything there specifically related to the user-name selection.

Come to think of it, that would likely be checked by WP, not WHMCS. So the user should get the standard "Already taken" alert from WP.

I may be wrong though... it's been known to happen :slight_smile:

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

You said:

In your WHMCS installation, go to "Setup" > "General Settings" > "Ordering" and scroll down to where you see "Block Existing Domains". Be sure that box is checked.

I looked and I already had that checked. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the subdomains in WP.

I don't know if WP would give them a message. It doesn't seem like the user is really being taken to the WP site in the process so I'm not sure how that would happen. It seems like what would happen is the account just wouldn't work and the customer is going to be left wondering what happened and thinking the site is broken.

One way or another, it doesn't seem like there is any check in place during the signup process to see if the subdomain the user entered is taken already. It really should check the WP database to see if that subdomain/user ID is taken.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @Todd Heitner

One way or another, it doesn't seem like there is any check in place during the signup process to see if the subdomain the user entered is taken already. It really should check the WP database to see if that subdomain/user ID is taken.

That's a good point, and I'm really not sure at all what kind of checks exist.

I'll flag the developer on this to get his insight. Note that, due to the season, this may take a while :slight_smile:

Happy holidays!

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Whmcs has to do it because there is no connection to provisioning while all this is happening. The plugin has no idea what subdomain you want until you try to create it,

At that point it setup to tack a number on to it until it gets a unique subdirectory.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.