What happens to existing ProSites when price and/or features change in a level?

We have been running a ProSites for the past 6 months and now have learnings regarding cost, demand, support, etc. and plan to make adjustments to pricing and packaging.

We plan to eliminate the first 2 levels as an option.
1. How does the ProSites application deal with the legacy subscribers in these levels?
2. When we make the changeover, do they continue at old price and features or are they terminated?
3. If answer to #2 is that they continue with old pricing/level how long does it continue? Some are on monthly and others are on annual subscription. Does it continue until next payment or for life?

• aristath

Hello there @antKat, I hope you're well today!

1. How does the ProSites application deal with the legacy subscribers in these levels?

You should manually migrate them to an appropriate level yourself.

2. When we make the changeover, do they continue at old price and features or are they terminated?

Pro-Sites can't automatically assign another level... you'll have to do it manually. Once you do, next time they pay they'll have to pay the price of the new level.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• antKat

Hi Ari (or anyone) I did not receive a response to the question above:
    1. If I do not manually change the levels of the subscribers to the new level, what would happen? Would they still continue at the old level even though we are not offering the lower level to new subscribers?
    2. We currently have 4 levels and we are planning on dropping the first 2.
    a. It seems like having a "deactivate" rather than delete option. Once we delete the options, we will no longer have a record in our system that will reflect to the existing sites on the level 1 & 2.
    b. If we "force" everyone to level 3 and manually change their level. You mentioned above, does the PayPal profile not change until their NEXT payment as you mentioned above? So if they are on a monthly, will PayPal cancel their existing profile and would they then need to create a new profile account with PaylPal the following month (or year if annual)? I really need to know what is actually going to happen programmatically once we make the change.
    c. Changing prices for levels. Please clarify, does this program not provide for raising prices ever for existing subscribers? If we need to change our pricing based on cost, do all existing sites stay at the lower levels . . . forever?

• Tyler Postle

Hey AntKat,

Very sorry for the delay here! Unfortunately, Ari is no longer working with us, I'm more than happy to chime in here though :slight_smile:

1. If I do not manually change the levels of the subscribers to the new level, what would happen? Would they still continue at the old level even though we are not offering the lower level to new subscribers?

They would lose all their access, once the level doesn't exist anymore then any premium features they had from it would be lost. There subscription will continue though as that is setup through PayPal. You would want to make sure they cancel from the pro site checkout page or PayPal first. You can also cancel their subscription from the backend "manage" site page via:

Network admin > Sites > Manage.

b. If we "force" everyone to level 3 and manually change their level. You mentioned above, does the PayPal profile not change until their NEXT payment as you mentioned above? So if they are on a monthly, will PayPal cancel their existing profile and would they then need to create a new profile account with PaylPal the following month (or year if annual)? I really need to know what is actually going to happen programmatically once we make the change.

Changing the level won't do anything to their payment subscription, they will just end up getting a higher level for the same price as before - until they cancel. Once they cancel they will have to sign up at one of the remaining levels.

c. Changing prices for levels. Please clarify, does this program not provide for raising prices ever for existing subscribers? If we need to change our pricing based on cost, do all existing sites stay at the lower levels . . . forever?

Yes, they will stay at the lower price until they either cancel or you cancel them. Then they will be forced to re-sign up at the higher price, if they choose to do so. So, sort of a grandfathered in discount for early adopters :slight_smile:

I believe that answers all the questions, if you do have any further ones just let us know AntKat, more than happy to help!

All the best,
    Tyler

• antKat

Hi Tyler - Thank you for jumping in and following up after Ari's departure.
    I definitely do not like the limitations regarding evolving our packages. Since there is no way to just deactivate legacy levels for new signups - is there a way to let them exist but just HIDE them for new signups? If I can just hide the legacy options, then the subscribers of the legacy could continue as is - I just would not be getting any new subscribers at the "no longer available" levels. I am also currently using a plugin called "Checkout Rows" for the account page. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there @antKat,

Hope you're well and don't mind me chiming in here since Tyler is away for a few days.

I like the idea of yours that when you wish to not continue promoting a specific level then you can just "hide" it for the sake of users that currently subscribe in it.

For that reason, I will move this to "Features & Feedback" section so other members can see this idea of yours and gave their opinion.

Thanks,
    Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.