What happens when a trial period expires?

Hi there,

I have tried setting up my Membership workflow again but I can't find an email template or setting to send to a user before or after their free trial period expires. Can you please point me in the right direction?

I would like members to signup for a free trial and then when this expires to show a notice on the site (preferably with the Stripe payment form) to maximise signups.

Many thanks,
Sean.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @sk, Michael here! :slight_smile:

I have tried setting up my Membership workflow again but I can't find an email template or setting to send to a user before or after their free trial period expires. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Sure can! :slight_smile:

In this case, you'd want to go to:

Membership 2 -> Add-ons

And enable the "Additional Automated Messages" add-on there.

Once you've done that, you'll want to go to:

Membership 2 -> Settings -> Automated Email Responses

And open the "Subscription - Trial finished" template by choosing it from the dropdown menu there, and clicking on "Load Template". After enabling it, just click on "Save Changes", and your users will now be sent an email before the trial period expires (by default, it'll be sent a day before the trial expires, that can be adjusted to suit your needs by modifying the "Notice Period" setting). :slight_smile:

I would like members to signup for a free trial and then when this expires to show a notice on the site (preferably with the Stripe payment form) to maximise signups.

Where on the site would you like to show the notice? In this case, I'd say that we'd be looking to send users to your Memberships page, so that they can purchase a subscription from there.

Please advise,
    Michael

• sk

Hi @Michael Bissett, thanks for the answers above, I've now added the extra emails add-on and my apologies for missing that in the documentation :disappointed:

What I had hoped for was to keep this all on the site for the user. Basically, if the users' free trial access has expired, it would be best to show them a message saying this on the site (rather than the default protected content messages) and then allow them to click one button and pay there without having to go to invoices, account screens etc.

It really seems at the moment a very confusing workflow for a user to signup to a paid subscription after a free trial? Or am I missing something again?

Many thanks,

Sean.

• sk

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have a few other threads open and all of them have the same end result, this plugin is completely inflexible, full of bugs, and doesn't work anywhere near as well as other solutions on the market.

You should remove this from your website home screen: "The most powerful, easy-to-use and flexible membership plugin for WordPress sites available."

That is simply untrue.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.