What is better to use for "Members" plugin - Buddypress registration page or Members?

I am trying to determine the best process for signing up new Members to our site...

In another thread I was asking about captcha for the signup forms = https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/im-currently-using-membership-and-for-all-intents-and-purposes-it-seems-to-be-what-i-need

In this tread, @jack kitterhing stated...

By default Membership doesn't support Captcha or similar, but as you are using BuddyPress, it uses that signup form and that means it can use the captcha plugins designed for BuddyPress :slight_smile:

'my followup questions have not been addressed there so I'm re-introducing my questions here'

In your Membership Manual it says this...

Why are my users no in the user panel, but show in the Network
users area?
Chances are you also have BuddyPress running and your members are signing up through
the BuddyPress registration forms this will create them a account with your network.
Disable your BuddyPress forms and let your users signup through the Membership forms
instead they will then get a role within the site on your network they are signing up through.

which contradicts what @jack was saying so I'm left a little confused...

So my question is: Can I activate and use the buddypress registration and activation forms or do I refrain from using them completely.

and

If I refrain from using them completely, what forms of security or captcha do I use with the Membership forms...

Thanks!

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Sorry about the delay on the other thread. @Jack Kitterhing had been busy with some internal tasks and it might have slipped off his feed.

Let me clarify and answer that for you.

Why are my users no in the user panel, but show in the Network
    users area?

There are 2 reasons. First what Jack suggested that you might have BuddyPress registration going on separately.

OR

You have site registration enabled and people are signing up for subsites on your network.

If its the former, than you should simply disable BuddyPress registration form via Settings >> BuddyPress >> Pages (Set register page to None)

Then you just use the Register page defined in Membership settings where people can directly visit and signup for your Membership site.

However I would like to have a closer look at your site to see if everything is setup correctly and then we will take it further.

You can enable support access via :

WordPress Dashboard >> WPMU DEV Dashboard >> Support >> Staff Access >> Grant Access.

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Cheers, PC

• SD2k

Thank you very much @PC, your help is welcomed!

I have activated support access and so far I have not used the BuddyPress registration page. I was only quoting from the user-manual to support my confusion...

Once you have a chance to look through everything maybe you could help me with one of the last problems I'm having with membership registrations.

To see what I'm referring to, you need to create a coupon code that offers 100% off

'now I know that it is not an acceptable username' which is the point...

The error that it throws up does not tell the end-user what went wrong, WP accepts it, automatically logs the user in and BP breaks if the user tries to look at their profile. So...

I either need to come up with a way for it to accept it all the way through (that's what I'm trying to do now) or it needs to completely deny/block it and make that clear to the end user so they will try over...

Any help would be awesome and I can either chat with you through my site or on Skype if it would help.

I have read at least 40 or more threads here, I have also read the user manuals and everything available I can find on all of the plugins I use or install and I"m as acquainted with them as much as is possible (that's not to say I'm misunderstanding anything). I only say this so you know I'm not asking for help without RTFM myself :slight_smile:

Thanks again and FWIW I have over 100 users that signed up for this at my expo booth three weeks ago who are all waiting for me to strip out the dummy content and release access so I'm not adverse to compensating someone who really knows this system/setup to help me get everything across the finish line!

• Vaughan

Hi @sdinvestor2k,

I think the PDF manual is a bit out of date.

Regarding the username with space in, I can see that being a problem, and you are right, wp error messages aren't very informative to the user.

You can use the validate_username hook. http://wpseek.com/validate_username/

This thread might also give you some help if you need to edit the membershippublic.php file.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/usernames-with-spaces-should-not-be-allowed

It's a few years old now, so the file will have changed, however, the preg_match in the username filter should still be the same.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.