What is broken or how was I hacked?

When our developers edit a page, review posts (wp-admin/edit.php), look at users (users.php) or some other wp-admin dashboard actions, the following query is issued:

SELECT wp_users.ID,wp_users.user_login,wp_users.display_name FROM wp_users INNER JOIN wp_usermeta ON (wp_users.ID = wp_usermeta.user_id) WHERE 1=1 AND ( (wp_usermeta.meta_key = ‘wp_user_level’ AND CAST(wp_usermeta.meta_value AS CHAR) != ‘0’:wink: ) ORDER BY display_name ASC /* From [vivinow.com/wp-admin/edit.php] in [N/A] */

With 195,000 registered users, this query has a network timeout at about 100,000 users downloaded

. How do I fix it?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @vivinow

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

It seems the query is generated by any plugin. Is it possible for you to test deactivating all other plugins?

Though 195,000 is a huge number of users. It can produce a timeout too. But let’s check with deactivating all other plugins.

If it is a live site, you may want to test it in a dev site.

Cheers

Ash

• vivinow
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I started to disable them on our dev site and tried to reproduce the problem before starting but the dev site did not have the same problems even with all plugins active

As a result I did not see any reason to complete the test..

Thanks,

Boyd

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Are the dev and live site in same server? Do you think it may happen that execution is taking much time than the max_execution_time set in your server? Could you please contact your host to be confirm that if it is an ‘attack’ or just execution timeout?

Cheers

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.