What is current status of snapshot migration capabilities

Can snapshot be used to migrate a multisite to another domain? I've seen conflicting responses in forum - so please let me know what is current capabilities. I've just spent 2 weeks migrating a site without it and it has so many problems that I'm wondering if I should just start over and use Snapshot.

Goal: to create a staging site of my live site (on another domain)
Is there a wizard to help with the domain required changes?
If Snapshot has this capability what gets copied?
Theme Settings?
Plugin Settings?

What still needs to be manually updated after migration?

How much time should you typically need to complete process? I've currently lost a couple of weeks time - so I'm trying to decide if I'm better off starting over.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @antKat,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question! :slight_smile:

I can confirm this is possible, you can create a full snapshot of all your database tables and plugins, so it'll keep all your settings etc.

Make sure you already have WordPress installed on the other domain and import your snapshot, it will then automatically update all your URL's and it'll be good to go. :slight_smile:

There shouldn't be anything that needs to be manually updated after the migration, snapshots handles everything.

If you include the time of setting up the site, creating the snapshot and importing the snapshot, I'd say set aside a couple of hours so you aren't rushing the process.

Of course, if you have any questions or issues please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• antKat

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

We just want to confirm that it is 100% sure we can use this plugin for moving our Multisite Website which is currently running on this domain: usingessentialoils.com from one server to another New server and also on new domain: http://www.healthandwellnessessentials.com here.

So it will change the all information in database also with respect to the domain name.

When we do this, it will also keep all our widgets and around 40-45 plugin information, their setting and nothing will be lost. We have to not do any setting again.

• antKat

I've run into issues with the snapshot migration.
    1. The snapshot archive was created without a problem
    2. The import seemed to go ok
    3. After restore - I have problems:
    a. It is not set up as a multi-site (was I supposed to do something special for multisite?) Do I need to setup network?
    b. When I went to main site there is a fatal error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_plugin_active() in /home/jumi/public_html/ueo-test.com/wp-content/themes/Revoke-child/functions.php on line 86
    c. I get message that I do not have sufficient permission to access theme, plugins

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @antKat,

a. It is not set up as a multi-site (was I supposed to do something special for multisite?) Do I need to setup network?

You will have to setup network first as described on the following pages before importing snapshot.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

b. When I went to main site there is a fatal error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_plugin_active() in /home/jumi/public_html/ueo-test.com/wp-content/themes/Revoke-child/functions.php on line 86

This is the error message generated by the theme Revoke-child that you are using.

This error may be generated because of inappropriate use of WordPress function is_plugin_active

See the proper usage of is_plugin_active function here :
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/is_plugin_active

To resolve this issue try adding the following code in the wp-config.php file of your WordPress install.

define( 'WP_DEFAULT_THEME', 'twentythirteen' );

c. I get message that I do not have sufficient permission to access theme, plugins

Are you using user account with appropriate user role permission the same user account from the original site?

Can you access admin area of the site but not theme, plugins?

Check what is the user role on the migrated site and also try creating and using new admin user account.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• antKat

Hi Vinod,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I uninstalled the previous wordpress install and started over - this time setting up multisite prior to installing the snapshot plugin on the migrated site.

I've now imported the archive and selected restore and I now have a few red messages on the Restore Snapshot page

1. "This archive is from a previous import action. The information from the archive did not match the current blog. So before you can change the configuration you need to assign it to an existing account." below this message is the original site
    Using Essential Oils (usingessentialoils.com/)(I)
    Question: How and where to I assign it to the new site UEO-test.com?

2. Under Restore Blog Options there are 2 red messages
    "You can restore the backup to a different blog within your Multisite environment. Note: The destination blog MUST already exist. This migration logic is considered still in beta." and "Restore Note: URL mismatch!. The Snapshot archive does not appear made from the current WordPress system. Every attempt will be made to replace the source URL with the URL from the destination." Below this on the left is information from Archive however on the right the items are all blank.

3. Under What Tables to Restore? In red: "Restore Note: The archive you are about to restore includes the global database tables users and/or usermeta. Normally, you do not want to restore these tables unless your site is broken. To restore either of these database tables you must select them from the 'Restore selected database tables' section below. The data contained within these tables will be merged with the current global tables"

Under Restore Theme options - I'm a little confused with the question since we are migrating
    Turn off all plugins? Won't snapshot have the plugins active/not active based on archive?
    Set a theme to active - Again, won't the theme(s) that were active be active in the migration?

• antKat

Well I didn't hear back last night - so I took a chance and just clicked on the Restore. It went through the process - but did not work. The database is not showing multisite tables.

I cannot access the site - it has message that webpage has a redirect loop
    and whether I try to access the main site front end or back it is redirecting to signup page: http://ueo-test.com/wp-signup.php?new=ueo-test.com

I realize that pre 12/13 snapshot did not have migration capabilities. There is so much old information on the forum - someone needs to clean up - I've spent hours seeking solution - but most of everything related to snapshot is obsolete.

My original question was what is the current status for migrating a multisite to another domain.

If this is a capability of snapshot - what are each of the steps specific to multisite? Should I have done something different when the archive was made?

The steps on the new site I've now taken are:
    Create domain with wildcard subdomains.
    Create Multisite Network
    Install Snapshot and network activate
    Import Archive
    Restore

Obviously, I should have waited for a response from my previous questions. Where do I go from here? I'm willing to delete and start over - but I need to know all of the steps.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @antKat,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Your snapshot procedure you went through is correct and you followed the correct steps, snapshot is capable of migrating, though it is considered beta, but should work perfectly.

We are working on getting up to date docs on migrating a snapshot, can you send me the following please so I can debug what went wrong here.

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include cPanel (for database access).
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site
    - Include the Snapshot you are importing.

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @antKat,

Hope you're well today and I appreciate your patience on this.

After much testing there certainly is a bug here with the logic, my findings were:

1: Overwrite /migrate main site doesn't work, it ends up in a redirect loop, due to network tables being missed in the migration and the wp_options table. This was despite all tables being checked.

2: Overwriting/migrating another site to a sub site didn't work, it copied over the network tables when it should have only copied the tables for that site.

I've notified the lead developer of Snapshot so he can take a look and see what's happening here.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Kathy,

Hope you're well today!

I've just re-notified the lead developer here to see about getting this fixed up right away.

The easiest way to migrate a site, would be to setup a new database, take a backup of the other database, import all the data and run a find and replace script. I personally recommend this one https://github.com/interconnectit/Search-Replace-DB

But then another option would be to use our cloner plugin, https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/cloner/ while that won't migrate a whole network, you can easily copy across a sub site with one click to a completely new sub site.

Would that maybe work for you as a workaround? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Rheinard

Hi @antKat,

I'm currently looking into this and included some others to consider the migration aspect of Snapshot.

Although Snapshot can be used for migration there are a few things to note:

* When you create a new Snapshot and don't specify any site (it may just show your domain) it in fact only creates a Snapshot of your primary network site, not the entire network (however, it will include the network users).
    * So to migrate at the moment is a site-by-site snapshot creation and import process. It currently won't migrate the entire site in a single snapshot.

I believe that this would be an incredible feature for Snapshot, so its definitely flagged on the roadmap for inclusion as soon as possible. But unfortunately I don't have a timeline for this yet.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Kathy! :slight_smile:

Hope you're well today and thanks for your patience on this.

From Rhienard's response, I believe here, the best way you could do this is to not specify a site for the first snapshot.

Then you import that on your new multisite network.

Once you've done that, you'd then do it on a site by site basis, so you'd create a snapshot of each site on the network and then import that into the new multisite, if this makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.