What is going on with my Google search?!

So, I googled my website name (citiera.com), and I see that it says "WHY HIRE ME", as shown in the pic. It should say "Citiera - Get your ePortfolio Today", or even just "Citiera", not WHY HIRE ME.

I don't think my site has been breached. My Super admin has a password on it that takes 327 septillion years to crack, and I have Google Webmaster Tools, which is showing no errors. Yahoo shows the page as fine.

I have defender on, and Smartcrawl, and I am super unsure how this has even happened?! Obviously, kind of embarrassing when people search my website!!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Blake,

Do you have "WHY HIRE ME" in either of these locations:

Settings > SmartCrawl > Title & Meta:

OR

Settings > General > Site title or tagline:

The "tagline" is usually where that text would be pulled from, and with SmartCrawl you can override that in the field in my above screenshot, so it could be in either spot.

If it's not in either of those spots, can you grant support access so I can take a closer look?

You can do that from your WordPress Admin via:

WPMU DEV > Support > Grant Support Access

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Look forward to hearing back!

it would be a good idea to do a security scan through Defender as well just to make sure.

You can do that via:

Defender > Scan.

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Blake

Hi @TyePo!

I checked in both those locations, and it was not in there. the text "Why Hire me" is not mentioned anywhere in the site.

I also ran a scan with Defender, it all came back clean. I also used the Free Scurri Scanner, clean as well.

it should be mentioned I posted a job on UpWork yesterday, so I'm thinking it is from one of those people on there. I chose not to hire any of them, so it (I never responded), so It may be from them getting back at me.
    I did grant support Access :slight_smile: Thank you

• Tyler Postle

Hey Blake,

I checked out all the settings that I know of where that could be changed and it looks fine. So it could be a script that was placed in your themes functions.php or perhaps as an mu-plugin, did they have access at all to your files?

Another possibility is that you had that has the title tag somewhere at one point, then changed it but Google hasn't updated it yet. When I scan your home page through a service like this: http://seositecheckup.com

I'd recommend signing up for Google webmaster tools if you haven't already and fetching your home page with it and see what it brings back, that should force it to re-crawl your site. You can find instructions here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/15278642

Unless the Upwork freelancers had access to your file structure, it's very unlikely that they managed to change this. I'd suggest changing your passwords just to be on the safe side though.

Hope that helps! Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Blake

Thank you. They had absolutely no access to any of my things.

I did do a search of my mu-plugins and functions.php, and nothing found. I have had a Google Webmaster Tool Account, and did resubmit it for indexing. Hopefully that does something! It is just so odd. It was fine just the other day.

Thanks for checking on this!

On another note, do you think this could be moved to the members forum, to get some feedback from the members?

• Tyler Postle

Blake, it would be better to create a new one actually: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/members#discussion-modal

If I move this one there, it won't notify members that are subscribed to the subforums, but if you post a new one then it will email out to members who are subscribed - better chance you'll get more people seeing it :slight_smile:

You can always link to this ticket from there too if you wanted them to see what's been said so far from the support perspective.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.