What is the best plugin for a multi tier paid membership/listing website?

Hello,

What is the best plugin for a multi tier paid membership/listing website?

I have used directory before and got very frustrated with its incredible lack of the ability to have different levels of paid member/advertiser. I posted about this a year ago and was told it was definitely a feature on the list but I am yet to hear of this being added?

I have a new site coming up where I need the following features:

1. different levels of listing with different pricing - business owners can sign up on the site, chose the level of membership, pay the appropriate price then edit their listing.

2. main site admin have ability to update and change these listings (level and content)

3. discount coupons / offers / free listings

Are any of your plugins geared up for this?

Seem to be very standard requirements for a listing site.

I see your membership pro2 has some of these features but isn't a listing plugin, the directory plugin is a listing plugin but does not have these features, unless they have been added recently?

I would appreciate very much your advice please.

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Jon,

Hope you're doing well today.

Unfortunately such changes didn't yet get implemented in Directory plugin as there were some other things that took over the priority.

Have you considered using Membership 2 plugin to have different membership with different pricing and then associate memberships with different roles.
    With this you can combine https://wordpress.org/plugins/bainternet-posts-creation-limits/ plugin to limit number of listing posts per role.

Would something like this work for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jon

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Can I ask if this feature is actually on the list for the directory plugin?

So just looking at your suggestion. I'm not sure how to do this. I see the membership plugin looks like it is geared up to restrict access to areas of the site unless people pay to join those areas.

I'm not sure how that translates to having people pay to then be able to make a listing for their business Please could you possibly elaborate?

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jon,

Apologies for delay on this thread.

Can I ask if this feature is actually on the list for the directory plugin?

It is on plugin to do list but it should require some complex changes in code to make it work and Directory plugin does need some other improvements so they will probably be added all together.

I'm not sure how that translates to having people pay to then be able to make a listing for their business Please could you possibly elaborate?

In Directory settings you can select Free Listings for payment types, this will enable all registered used to create listings.
    Now you can use plugin mentioned above to limit number of posts that can be created per user role.
    Assign that roles to desired memberships that are paid and that way you can limit number of posts depending on membership.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jon

Hi Predrag,

thanks for the reply. Your suggestion sounds good for a site to charge per listing, using the posts limit depending on price paid.

However, what I need is a set up where users have one listing only. The different pricing levels are to show that one listing in different areas on the site.

eg.

pricing level 1 - listing in the regular directory

pricing level 2 - listing in the regular directory and also in the featured area on the home page

etc.

Am I missing something here as it seems I couldn't achieve this with your suggestion?

Thanks again!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jon!

Thank you for this explanation.

I think you could use listing categories for this, for example setting 2 categories: "regular" and "featured". With a bit of customization you should be able to display listings of selected category on various pages.

Then, you could use custom forms on different pages to create listings (listings are posts of custom types) and this would allow you to protect both listing "display" pages and listing "add" pages with different Membership 2 memberships. Therefore, it should do the work, I think.

That said, I do think some customization would be needed here and if you feel like doing it yourself I'll be glad to assist you and provide with any help necessary. Alternatively, you may want to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note though: no WPMU DEV staff involved) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.