What is the best size for a header image?

Hi - I just wanted to know what the best size/dimensions are for header images? I don't see any recommendations within the theme options. Also - do these same dimensions apply to other themes?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ronan_mcclelland,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

The right answer to this question is extremely dependent upon the theme in use.

Generally around 990X180 pixels is good but can be almost anything if it indeed fits the theme itself and for example is not too large it causes a scroll bar to appear on screen resolutions of 1024X768.

Did you have a certain theme in general that you need the specific header size?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• ronan_mcclelland
    • New Recruit

Hi Joe,

Thanks for this. At the moment we're using 'Holder' for the next couple of months, then something like 'Studio'. We're setting up a fitness holiday business and a theme like Studio looks like it would work well for us. Are the optimum sizes documented anywhere?

Cheers,
    Ronan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ronan_mcclelland,

Thank you for this great question.

Are the optimum sizes documented anywhere?

Several of the themes, well most of the themes will tell you the header dimensions when you go to add the header.

I usually find it just as easy to check the size of there included demo header if there is one.

But to answer your question straight up, no there is no guide for these.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.