What is the best way to organize podcast archives on site without iTunes?

Hello good people,

I need to organize a media archive with different categories of audio and video.

I use Amazon S3 for storage and delivery--but I want to add new and existing audio and video to a Media Library which organizes and displays the files in a calendar.

So each old file can be found by it's title via search, or it's date via the calendar.

And moving forward when we post a media file it should be added to the calendar.

I know the Post method is the way to go here, but in this instance I don't want any of the content from the original posts. I only want the media files from the post.

I've tested several category and calendar catlist type of plugins. Each of them offers great ways to display categories of posts--but no way to MANAGE the media files for the display.

I guess this is something like what an audio book store might use to manage, organize and display their daily audio books.

I'm at the end of my Latin here trying to think of HOW to accomplish this. And when I get here I realize I'm missing something REALLY SIMPLE! :slight_smile:

Can you guys throw me a life line?

Thank you,

Chris

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

So theses are already made as posts then? Or is something you're wanting to plan out to index?

If it's the latter you could build up a custom post type using CustomPress:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/

Then there are other search plugins:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-everything/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/relevanssi/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-search-plugin/

That way you could index them, create meta for indexing or custom taxonomies as you please. You could even build templates for your themes around those.

If you already have those posts then perhaps some custom taxonomies might still be an option for you?

Take care.

• anotheropus

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for the support and questions.

About two and half year's worth of posts already exist and new posts are made five days a week.

I have a handy calendar leading to the individual posts.

I need to create a calendared layout set of pages, where each page is one year and each page ONLY has the links to the media from the posts on their respective days.

I need to do this for all the existing posts and all current and future posts.

I look at it as an "Audio / Video Media Library,"

Can you clarify or illuminate how I might use custom taxonomies for existing posts--and moving forward?

The key here is to create an automated system. The dream is to have the machine read all existing and new posts (as the post), and have it pull the media link(s) from a post and add it to the calendar page. A second, lesser dream is to have another step in the process, where after the post is made, then the person who made the post goes to another page and creates a redundant, media only post with links to the media files from the show.

In fact, now that I think about it this really is a duplicate post maker. Where the duplicate post only has a title, description, date/time stamp and the media file(s) from the original post. And the other piece of course is the display side where this "duplicate" media only post category is displayed in an annual calendar page, with annual pagination.

I've tried tuning and tweaking Validimir Prelovac's Snazzy Archives plugin but the powers that be didn't like the end outpu--although it was close.

I've also tried using catlist plugin and shoe-horning it into a calendar like display. But that couldn't even get close.

I've played around at Envato--I don't mind buying the solution.

I'm a little bit surprised I can't find a free or premium plugin that can do this. It seems like a common sense thing to have a media archive for audio and video podcasts, presented in a calendar format.

Somebody's already doing this somewhere. If I had the technical wherewithal I'd create the plugin that reads posts (retroactive, and as they're created), and adds them to a display calendar that gives daily, weekly, monthly and annual view options.

I can't be the only one who wants to create a podcast archive by date! :slight_smile:

I'm Googling like a gooooogler and nothing ...

I wish there was a magic little land on a special little website where all the world could go and post their plugin and theme dreams and developers could search for projects and the world could all chip in and get anything live, functional or repaired. the freelance world is not reliable enough :slight_smile:

Thank you for the help.

Warmest,

Chris

• Timothy Bowers

I look at it as an "Audio / Video Media Library,"

Can you clarify or illuminate how I might use custom taxonomies for existing posts--and moving forward?

I was thinking you could use that to label them.

You could then create a custom template to display posts in those categories differently from normal posts if you wish.

It would take some coding, but nothing overly complex if you keep it simple.

It's the other bits I'm not so sure about as I don't think I fully understand still :disappointed:

The key here is to create an automated system. The dream is to have the machine read all existing and new posts (as the post), and have it pull the media link(s) from a post and add it to the calendar page. A second, lesser dream is to have another step in the process, where after the post is made, then the person who made the post goes to another page and creates a redundant, media only post with links to the media files from the show.

I guess I don't understand how it would index existing posts and know the media, would it perhaps check a link on the page to the media, would it read the extension.

That sort of thing I don't understand from your post. Sorry.

As you've searched for an existing solution it does sound like you might either need to modify the code of one you found or start from scratch.

There may also be some other members here who have different ideas. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.