What is the best way to use a common login for a multisite install?

Does Membership make it possible to encompass an entire ms install or selected site within that install with a common login?
Or is there a simpler or better way to do this?

• Zyniker

Would you mind providing a few more details about what you want to accomplish?

If your goal is to provision end-users with login credentials which will work on multiple sites within your MultiSite install (e.g., site1.example.com and site2.example.com), then you'll want to look into a plugin to clone permissions from one site (perhaps your initial registration site) to other sites on your network.

If you need to do this for just a handful of users, then it's probably both easier and better to do it manually (i.e., just add those users to the desired sites using the administrative panel).

• mike.metz

I'm setting up a city portal for Indianapolis called TheIndymall.com. Most of the components of the portal are already encapsulated in one or more of your plugins or themes. So, I set up a multisite installation, with each main component per subsite.

I am using buddypress and wpmudev themes and plugins as much as possible. I plan to provide a bulk of the content for free visitors to see and use. However, in order to participate in the various components; ie, Classifieds, MallShops(marketpress for etsy-style emporium), Q&A, Gallery Posts, Blog Forum, Groups, Communities, etc, they will need to register. The registration is free, but provides us with vital data for security and marketing analysis, etc.

I want the mall to be a virtually seamless experience, so I want to be able to provide a single login on any of the component main pages that will follow them throughout the site.

In addition, I want visitors to be able to sign in with their facebook, twitter or google+ accounts. I do have the WPMUDev plugin for that, as long as it works well with the standard signup functions of the site.

Perhaps the Membership plugin isn't the right fit, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a way to do this in a multisite install. That said, I will need to be able to unenable the function on particular sites in the network as well. Everything shouldn't be available to everyone, in that there are pay-features, and invitation only features that may be implemented.

• aristath

I want the mall to be a virtually seamless experience, so I want to be able to provide a single login on any of the component main pages that will follow them throughout the site.

If it's a network installation of WordPress then you shouldn't have any issues with that!
    In case you have different domains and subdomains though, you might have to use the Domain Mapping plugin and set it to allow cross-domain cookies.

Perhaps the Membership plugin isn't the right fit, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a way to do this in a multisite install. That said, I will need to be able to unenable the function on particular sites in the network as well

Perhaps you're referring to this? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/basic-multisite-setup-help-with-membership-subscriptions#post-103197
    If you use something similar to that, please note that when you use it globally, you use it globally. I have not tried it, but it may be difficult to exclude a site from using the Membership rules. It may require some custom coding...

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.