What is the correct order to turn on multi-domain SSO?

I've tried numerous ways to get this to work but still have had no luck getting SSO (single sign on) to work with multiple domains on the same WordPress multisite install. Looked in the forums here and elsewhere but no good documentation on the order in which to do things (since that seems to be important according to some).

I'm able to get 2 domains on the same install, and can login and logout of each of them without problems. But, I can't login to one and then login to the other, the SSO part doesn't work like that. I have to login twice every time, and avoiding that issue is the big reason for setting the site up like this. Can anyone help out?

They are two different domains (not sub-domains) and everything else works fine but I have to login twice to access the admin area of the 2nd site.

• jacob_schweitzer
    • New Recruit

Sunrise on in the wp-config.php and A record pointing at the same server with Nginx pointing it to the same folder. I can login and I know its on the right server but just have to login twice..

I think I tried both Domain Mapping and Domain Multi-site, not sure which one is the best for my purposes. I want a single WordPress multisite to have 2 domains, each on a different multisite "site" . I want to be able to login to either site, then be able to move to the other site without having to login twice.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @jacob_schweitzer

Thanks for the additional information.

Multi-domains allows you to map other domains to the main site, to allow a user to create a sub site at say example.com and example1.com rather than just example.com

Whereas domain mapping allows you to map a domain to a sub domain, e.g sub.domain.com to domain.com

If you used both, you may have the incorrect sunrise file added, could you double check that please?

Thank you!

Kind Regrads
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

If you could decide which plugin you'd like to use, I'd be happy to assist you in getting this issue resolved, I believe that multi-domains may be the better plugin to go for, but it depends on the exact setup :slight_smile:

I'm going offline now for the night, but I'll be back in the morning to assist.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

multi-domains does indeed support SSO, but they are still vastly different plugins.

So if we go with setting up multi-domains this will allow users to create a site at example.com and example1.com

It won't allow mapping of say example2.com to sub.example1.com for that you need domain mapping (which doesn't support SSO) if that makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.