What is the critical number of plugins for a blog network that grows at 10 to 20 subsites per day?

I will like to know when plugins become too many such that they begin to affect the Network speed. I have heard 12 to 15 and I have also heard 20. For my install because of numerous customizations I am worried I do not have much wiggle room. What will be a ballpark number to shoot for?

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @michael,

While those numbers sound like good guidelines to follow, there’s more to be considered when it comes to performance.

For instance, are you on a shared hosting plan, a VPS, or is this a dedicated server? To quote our head of support, Tim:

If you are planning on a huge site using many plugins and themes then a VPS or dedicated server is a good consideration.

Shared hosts will always restrict you on resources. Some are worse than others, some will even terminate your account without notice if you use a few to many resources. Those Unlimited type hosts are usually the worse for this.

If you want to check out reviews of hosts and find suggestions then you will find WHT a useful resource:

http://webhostingtalk.com

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Regards,

Michael

• faydra_deon
    • WordPress Warrior

Hello, @michael:

If I understand your question correctly, you’re asking how many plugins is too many before your plugins start to affect your site load.

I’d have to say that it depends on the type of plugins you’re using and how many resources each one uses. Some plugins don’t require many resources at all and some require lots of resources, so I’d say the issue isn’t how many but how much “stuff” they need to function properly and get the job done.

For example, a plugin, like Kahi’s WP Notes, that lets you make simple notes to yourself in the Dashboard, isn’t going to require as many resources as a plugin, like JetPack, that does lots of different things and requires you to connect to another site to function properly.

I hope this helps a bit.

Faydra…

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.