What is the default behavior of multisite user login across sites?

I am trying to understand what the default is on a multisite in for user login across sites.

Meaning, if a user is a member of all the sites (using multisite user management plugin), and they log in to one of the sites, are they automatically logged into the other sites? So that if they log in at site1.domain.com and then browse to site2.domain.com, will they be logged into site2?

My install doesn't seem to be this way and curious they way it should work out of the box.

I have deactivated domain mapping plugin. Enabling cross domain login did ont work..maybe because these sites don't have domains mapped.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Frank!

Sorry I haven't got back to your previous post yet.

I believe there are a few factors that come into play here. Server the site is on, browser security, domain mapping, among other possible variables :slight_smile:

In a fresh install, in my experience, logging into a subdomain will also log you into all other sites on the network that you have a user role on; however, after adding a plugin like domain mapping, it can change this.

Usually it is the way that cookies are being handled that affect the behavior.

To answer your question more directly, the default behaviour in my experience is that they will be logged into all sites they are apart of, no matter where they sign in from

However, as mentioned, server and browser security can change that!

Hope that sort of helps :slight_smile: let me know if you have any further questions!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Frank

Thanks for the reply.

1. I did have domain mapping enabled but deactivated it thinking that might be the cause. Would the plugin have left some residual effect that would be causing this?

2. It is happening across all browsers and users. So would that suggest that it's server related? What would I even ask them to look into? lol noob here.

Would a plugin like Social Login have an effect do you think? I deactivated it but was still having the same problems.

Any other suggestions on where I should be looking?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.